EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:05 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
animallover wrote:
Earth is heating up lately, but so are Mars, Pluto and other worlds in our solar system, leading some scientists to speculate that a change in the sun’s activity is the common thread linking all these baking events.

Others argue that such claims are misleading and create the false impression that rapid global warming, as Earth is experiencing, is a natural phenomenon.

While evidence suggests fluctuations in solar activity can affect climate on Earth, and that it has done so in the past, the majority of climate scientists and astrophysicists agree that the sun is not to blame for the current and historically sudden uptick in global temperatures on Earth, which seems to be mostly a mess created by our own species. ...........

“Global warming on Neptune's moon Triton as well as Jupiter and Pluto, and now Mars has some [scientists] scratching their heads over what could possibly be in common with the warming of all these planets ... Could there be something in common with all the planets in our solar system that might cause them all to warm at the same time?”
http://www.livescience.com/environment/070312_solarsys_warming.html

Again the warming is a fact but the reasons are speculative.

At least now we know Neptune is not heating, just one of its moons, which is why editorials generally make poor sources of information. Of course, if the sun were the cause the warming should be evident on every body within the solar system if it was capable of making a measurable change on Pluto. All in all the article does seem to put it into perspective given how few solar bodies are involved.

Well I guess that you missed the first paragraph then. And last time I check "other worlds in our solar system" is not a specific amount. Just becasues a few are actually named does not mean that is all there are because otherwise they wouldn't have used that statement..... but what the article does show is that there is a warming trend that is beyond the 3 planets you acknowledged in your arguement, which was my point to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

animallover wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
animallover wrote:
Earth is heating up lately, but so are Mars, Pluto and other worlds in our solar system, leading some scientists to speculate that a change in the sun’s activity is the common thread linking all these baking events.

Others argue that such claims are misleading and create the false impression that rapid global warming, as Earth is experiencing, is a natural phenomenon.

While evidence suggests fluctuations in solar activity can affect climate on Earth, and that it has done so in the past, the majority of climate scientists and astrophysicists agree that the sun is not to blame for the current and historically sudden uptick in global temperatures on Earth, which seems to be mostly a mess created by our own species. ...........

“Global warming on Neptune's moon Triton as well as Jupiter and Pluto, and now Mars has some [scientists] scratching their heads over what could possibly be in common with the warming of all these planets ... Could there be something in common with all the planets in our solar system that might cause them all to warm at the same time?”
http://www.livescience.com/environment/070312_solarsys_warming.html

Again the warming is a fact but the reasons are speculative.

At least now we know Neptune is not heating, just one of its moons, which is why editorials generally make poor sources of information. Of course, if the sun were the cause the warming should be evident on every body within the solar system if it was capable of making a measurable change on Pluto. All in all the article does seem to put it into perspective given how few solar bodies are involved.

Well I guess that you missed the first paragraph then. And last time I check "other worlds in our solar system" is not a specific amount. Just becasues a few are actually named does not mean that is all there are because otherwise they wouldn't have used that statement..... but what the article does show is that there is a warming trend that is beyond the 3 planets you acknowledged in your arguement, which was my point to begin with.

Ummm which other planets would those be?

Wayne Stollings wrote:
animallover wrote:
Well, I have waited and I just can't believe that no one has mentioned that Saturn's, Netune's and Pluto's temps have also been rising. :-

So I guess you can say there is no correlation between 3 plants having rising temps but it would make sense to see if any others are having the same problem. But if Mars, Saturn, Neptune and Pluto are having a rise in temps, which they are :wink: , then hunters theory actually holds water, so to speak.

Ok, what temperature increases have there been for the other planets?

If you want to move the goal posts and add moons and other bodies there may be more included, but also there is a much larger number of those bodies, which makes the comparison much less significant.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:32 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:

If you want to move the goal posts and add moons and other bodies there may be more included, but also there is a much larger number of those bodies, which makes the comparison much less significant.

I am not moving anything....I just pointed out that there is more than the 3 planets you were looking at. And I accomplished that.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:37 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Earth 1 moon

Mars 2 moons

Jupiter 63 known moons

Saturn 59 known moons

Uranus 27 known moons

Neptune 13 known moons

So, there is one moon out of 165? Not a very compelling comparison for the thought of a commonality. Maybe there is information on the temperature changes for our moon, which should be greater than the others givne it is closer to the sun and we are better able to monitor it?

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

animallover wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

I am not moving anything....I just pointed out that there is more than the 3 planets you were looking at. And I accomplished that.

Actually you are, as the claim was the other PLANETS which were seeing an increase in temperature as I clearly quoted for you in the post to which you replied.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:41 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Earth 1 moon

Mars 2 moons

Jupiter 63 known moons

Saturn 59 known moons

Uranus 27 known moons

Neptune 13 known moons

So, there is one moon out of 165? Not a very compelling comparison for the thought of a commonality. Maybe there is information on the temperature changes for our moon, which should be greater than the others givne it is closer to the sun and we are better able to monitor it?

I didn't see where any of those were discounted.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:45 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

animallover wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Earth 1 moon

Mars 2 moons

Jupiter 63 known moons

Saturn 59 known moons

Uranus 27 known moons

Neptune 13 known moons

I didn't see where any of those were discounted.

They were not discounted, they were included in the totals. So far we have a 0.6% of moons with a temperature increase.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:52 am 

I think you're getting a little picky here Wayne.

Quote:

Actually you are, as the claim was the other PLANETS which were seeing an increase in temperature as I clearly quoted for you in the post to which you replied.

Overlooking the Pluto is not a planet mixup, I think Al covered her bases.

Quote:
Well, I have waited and I just can't believe that no one has mentioned that Saturn's, Netune's and Pluto's temps have also been rising.

So I guess you can say there is no correlation between 3 plants having rising temps but it would make sense to see if any others are having the same problem. But if Mars, Saturn, Neptune and Pluto are having a rise in temps, which they are :wink: , then hunters theory actually holds water, so to speak.

In Neptunes case it is a moon instead of Neptune itself. But beyond that she just said it would make sense to see if any others are having the same problem. So in light of the fact there are others in our solar system, that would be moons and planets, it seems she was accurate.

Your lack of humor on GW is showing again. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:52 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

hunter88 wrote:
I almost forgot.

Quote:
I don't know, maybe the number of your posts that try to make the case there is no human connection to the increase in temperature we are experiencing?

Wayne, if I was going to connect Jupiter's climate change to ours, I probably would have put this in the enviromental section not the open section. I put it here because I was noting they were also having a climate change, and since it seems we, that is humans, get blamed for anything concerning climate change, a humorous twist could be added to the story. Which explains the title of the thread. Sometimes I think you're getting a bit defensive when it comes to GW discussions.

Could it be GW has caused you to loose some of your sense of humor. :wink: :mrgreen:

Wow, how did I miss this one? I know the connection between warming of some other planets or bodies being directly connected is humorous, but there are those that seem to take it seriously. The editorial AL posted seems to follow that tack.

I generally find your posts most humorous ... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

some of them even when they are supposed to be serious ... :razz: :razz: :mrgreen:

(but mostly just the ones which are meant to be humorous)

BTW, do you ever post a serious comment? :lol: :lol: :lol: :razz:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:54 am 

Quote:

Just on global warming. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:57 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

hunter88 wrote:
I think you're getting a little picky here Wayne.

Quote:

Overlooking the Pluto is not a planet mixup, I think Al covered her bases.

I ignored the Pluto error, while going for the planets actually mentioned in the example.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I have waited and I just can't believe that no one has mentioned that Saturn's, Netune's and Pluto's temps have also been rising.

In Neptunes case it is a moon instead of Neptune itself. But beyond that she just said it would make sense to see if any others are having the same problem. So in light of the fact there are others in our solar system, that would be moons and planets, it seems she was accurate.

Your lack of humor on GW is showing again. :wink:

OK, except where she was wrong, she was right. Now the number of cases mentioned which were wrong greatly outnumber the others, but who is actually looking?

I realize you are getting much older and your eyes are probably going bad so I increased the font size on the important part you must have missed. :mrgreen:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:58 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

hunter88 wrote:
Quote:

Just on global warming. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ahhhh, so that is a "no" then ... I tought so.

:wink: :lol: :lol: :razz:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:13 am 

Quote:
I ignored the Pluto error, while going for the planets actually mentioned in the example.

And then there was the fact I caught that and you didn't. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Now the number of cases mentioned which were wrong greatly outnumber the others, but who is actually looking?

Not me. I was just wondering if Jupiter's climate change would be blamed on us. Then I noted that there were others in our solar system that were seeing climate changes besides Jupiter and ourselves, and wondered if it was a coincidence.

You were the one that made it a global warming issue, not me.

But now that we're talking about it.

Do you think global warming could have an adverse affect on a person's sense of humor?

Could global warming supporters turn out like animal rights supporters, and totally loose their sense of humor because they take their issue so seriously they cannot find humor in it?

I hope those questions are clear to you. I couldn't think of a way to draw a picture to show what I meant. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:30 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

hunter88 wrote:
Quote:

And then there was the fact I caught that and you didn't. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I saw it but did not comment since that would seem to be nit-picking. You on the other hand did not seem to mind .... :roll: :mrgreen: :razz:

Quote:
Now the number of cases mentioned which were wrong greatly outnumber the others, but who is actually looking?

Quote:
Not me. I was just wondering if Jupiter's climate change would be blamed on us. Then I noted that there were others in our solar system that were seeing climate changes besides Jupiter and ourselves, and wondered if it was a coincidence.

You were the one that made it a global warming issue, not me.

Really? I think you are thinking wrong as usual ... :lol: :lol:

hunter88 wrote:
Quote:
The article makes it seem like it's warming up only at the equator. Why only there?

Jupiter's main source of heat is itself; not the sun.

I'm guessing we've taken all our old cars and sent them to the equator of Jupiter, where their emmissions have caused warming. :lol:

Or I suppose it's possible China has opened up a couple more coal fired plants there. When you open two a week, I'm sure it's hard to keep track of where you've put all of them.

hunter88 wrote:
I've also heard Jupiter is about to put their Equator Bear on their endangered species list.

Though I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Iowanic's underwear.

michaelm wrote:
So it is not global warming but universal warming. Everything is going to be destroyed.

Quote:
But now that we're talking about it.

Do you think global warming could have an adverse affect on a person's sense of humor?

It could, but that has not been supported by any evidence.

Quote:
Could global warming supporters turn out like animal rights supporters, and totally loose their sense of humor because they take their issue so seriously they cannot find humor in it?

More likely to happen to those who dispute the fact as there are fewer and fewer of those.

Quote:
I hope those questions are clear to you. I couldn't think of a way to draw a picture to show what I meant. :wink: :lol:

That is fine, I would not wnat you to use up all of your crayons. :lol: :lol:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:17 pm 

Quote:
Actually, I saw it but did not comment since that would seem to be nit-picking.

You not saying anything because it might seem like nit-picking.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I see you haven't lost your sense of humor after all.

Quote:

Wayne wrote
It could, but that has not been supported by any evidence.

But a lack of evidence didn't stop old Al from trying to connect the Myanmar cyclone to global warming, did it.

And it didn't some from saying global warming may have an adverse affect on the Green Bay Packers.

http://www.wisconsinenvironment.org/new ... ckers-edge

Quote:
As Wisconsinites gear up for next season, Wisconsin Environment today highlighted how global warming could affect the future success of the Packers. Specifically, the group pointed to the threat of rising winter temperatures lessening the cold weather that has historically given the Packers an edge over warm weather rivals.

And of course who needs evidence to claim global warming is to blame for swarms of cats and kittens, an invasion so to speak.

http://www.livescience.com/animals/070606_gw_pets.html

Quote:
Droves of cats and kittens are swarming into animal shelters nationwide, and global warming is to blame, according to one pet adoption group.

After reading those, how can a person not laugh. Unless of course they are being affected by global waming, and it has taken from them, their sense of humor.

But I acutally think there is evidence that global warming supporters may loose their sense of humor when talking about global warming. And I use Al Gore as my evidence. At least I can't remember any jokes Al has cracked about global warming.

And I saved the best for last. You just can't make up stuff this good.

Global Warming Simultaneously Baking, Freezing Europe.

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=18445

Quote:
Europe is simultaneously baking and freezing, and will continue to do so as a result of global warming, alarmists asserted in global media reports in November 2005. The two theories upon which the claims were made were promptly debunked by climate scientists.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next