[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Garden info

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Garden info
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:21 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

It's been a while since I made a weird request but here we go:

I'm trying to get some working numbers of bean-yield. How many pounds of beans will, say, a 10 foot row produce?

I can find info for a lotta other food types, but with beans this seems to be privledged info.

HELP!

Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 pm 

If we're talking green beans, I'd let you come pick my bean row for half, then you could just double that at the end of the summer and you'd have your answer. Plus some beans. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:16 pm 

Wouldn't that be dependant on the 1. type of beans, 2. type of plants, and 3. how many plants are in this row?? 4. Are they high yield plants??

Sorry, I really don't think there is any real answer to the way you asked this. Way too many unknowns, I think. In fact everything is an unknown. That is probably why you haven't been able to find any info.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:10 pm 

One can always use examples, to get working numbers...

10 lima bean plants will produce this many pounds of beans.....then you check to see how close to together lima bean plants are typically planted.

Now, the more important question.....

how many cups per pound? ](*,)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:21 pm 

I am sorry, I am not understanding as you are just being too vague. And example using green beans is not going to be the same as lima beans. The yields will be different as will everything else....including how many cups is going to make a pound.

Can I ask, what is it you are specifically trying to figure out??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:38 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:42 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:59 pm 

how much does it vary, then? 1 pound per 10 foot row when the conditions are poor? Or 10 pounds per ten foot row when conditions are good? How often, then, does one get good conditions?

With that, I can get working numbers.

AL; I'm working on the premise: how much arceage would a small community need if it intends to meet all it's living needs(Food, fuel, clothing).

To start on this, I had to have a idea how much people would eat and what. Beans are such useful food-stuff, I couldn't see not including a array of them in the diet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:03 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:12 pm 

I believe it ended up whereever old threads go to sleep.

I've already PM'ed Johnnie about it. I wanted to see if I could work out the acreage for myself.

It's gotten a bit involved, as you can probably already tell!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:14 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:16 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:17 pm 

Well, Johnnie must have had a copy, because I got the info.

This is clearly going to be a project. I still have to figure livestock into things.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:22 pm 

Here's the 'raw' figures Johnnie gave me....

9 acres......grain
1/2 acre...ext. garden
1/2 acre green house and earthship
1 and 1/3 acre.... orchard(mixed fruit/nut)
4 and 2/3 acre...woods
11 acres...pasture

this is for a family of 4 people, 2 dogs, a daddy cow and two mommy cows. I forgot if he included fowl; let me check.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:24 pm 

No chickens, but add two horses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next