[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Garden info

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden info
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:08 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Dang it! 6 'twisted icons' vs. my one. I AM in trouble!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:30 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:46 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:56 am 

Heaven forbid, Iowanic is going to become a factory farming advocate. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:57 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:02 pm 

:-&

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:30 pm 

Here's a couple things I've run onto trying to get a functional agricultural stllement:

The amount of fodder stored thru the winter for the livestock is gonna be huge. My most conservative estimate for the cattle is 150 tons. Yes, 150 TONS. Fodder-silo's and barns are going to be another construction project for the colonists.

Which brought to mind something I've noticed cropping up regularly now: construction. It's unavoidable, of course, they'll be homes to live in, barns for the critters, roads, hospitals, airports/spaceports, tidal-power stations, fences....the list is imposing.

Now how are the colonists going to approuch this? Modular methods and reusing sections of the big colony spaceship will be useful and 'earthbag' construction methods hold promise for private homes. Roads are neccasary and with migration routes all over the planet, I think 'berm' construction for the roadways will work, with tunnels underneath to let the native critters go to and fro without getting clobbered by cars nor will drivers have to wheel their way thru herds of thousands of animals crossing the roads.

But some obstacles:

Materials for all this construction.

and what are those who do all this construction going to do once things get settled in?

I'll address this next update. That and maybe discuss what I've tagged as the 'flax-problem.'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:11 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:47 am 

OMG, Hunter; that would just about be perfect. Many thanx! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:03 am 

Some people cover these pit silos with plastic. There are large silo covers that are made of plastic that you can buy, buty we never covered ours. In time they would crust over and keep rain off, as long as you humped them up in the middle so the rain would run off instead of soak in.

Also for storing hay you could just make hay stacks in the field. Again it would just be hay stacked up maybe 10 or 12 feet wide by 20 feet long. We has a metal cage like stacker. The hay would be dumped in over the top, and the hay is stacked tight by walking around on it. The stack is usually about 8 feet all. Again humped in the middle so when it crusts over the hay will shed rain. When the stack is full one end opened up like a pair of door, and you pulled the stacker away from the stack. Close the doors and start on the next one.

Here the hay is put up drier then in the pit silo. The advantage here is with machinery the hay stack can be picked up and carried to the cattle and left for them to eat. When one stack in gone and new one can be brought in. This way you do not have to feed everyday, thus saving a lot of labor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:59 pm 

I'm just gonna touch on the 'flax-problem' briefly, but here's the deal:

I can't, for the life of me, find out how much linen one gets from a acre of flax.

You'd think they'd at least have rough estimates down somewhere. :?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:58 pm 

You mean when these people went to this planet, they forgot their replicator. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:13 am 

Sorry, Hunter.

They'll be no faxing the flax.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:04 am 

And that's a fact.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:58 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next