[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Some clarity please

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some clarity please
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:24 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Fos, I want to be sure I understand this situation so the same mistake is not made again. Are you saying we need to search the net before we post a joke to insure it is not copywrited?

Also, I understood why you took the joke down the first time. You didn't understand it was a joke, and said it was over 2 sentences long.

But what I don't understand is, after digging through the internet to find it was copywrited, why not just tell me it was and it needed to be removed. Rather then give me a warning for posting copywrited material I didn't know was copywrited, and you didn't know was copywrited until you went digging.

I know I could have sent you a PM to talk about this. But on this occassion I thought it might better be handled here were everyone could see what we're talking about. After all it is election time and people can get sensitive to what they feel is political censorship, and we don't want anyone thinking that is what was going on here. At least I didn't think it was.

Post subject: Re: Some clarity please
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:15 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:46 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:12 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:56 pm 

Hardly. The rule is not retroactive, therefore it's not anyone's job.

Here's the link indicating that the content in question is copyrighted: http://www.theleftcoaster.com/archives/007855.php

Finally, this is not a debate. Until there is a higher ruling, the one made stands.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:02 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:49 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:13 pm 

Fosgate, what you are best demonstrating is that members of these forums must now fear expressing themselves, entertaining themselves, and otherwise participating in the forums out of fear they may utter or use something that is or has been copyrighted at some point in time.

Notwithstanding, perhaps you and a few other people should study copyright law to determine what is permitted and what is not under those laws. You may be surprised that copyrighted material can be quoted extensively insofar thereas it is not used for personal or monetary gain. And thereto, perhaps what these forums need most is someone within the legal profession and a background in copyright law to make a formal determination as to what is or is not legal. If for no other reason than to clarify this situation.

To deny someone the pleasure of sharing with others a humorous or pleasant story, regardless whether copyrighted or not, is not an exercise in the Freedom of Speech. What it is may just be labeled something you don't want to hear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:14 pm 

Roadside... if you could recommend an attorney that would be willing to donate their services to EnviroLink, I'd be thrilled to chat with them about this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:19 pm 

Let me see what I can do, Josh. I've authored a number of articles for professional trade publications, and will see if any of my old friends are still running around. I'll be in touch .....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:19 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:25 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:29 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:51 pm 

Copyright laws are a minefield here in the UK too Josh.
It isn't an army of lawyers we need, it's a fleet ot two of minesweepers.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:35 am 

I haven't yet had time to contact anyone who could be able to help clarify the potential for copyright infringement issues here in the EnviroLink forums. However, while searching the matter on the Internet, I came across the following resource and I learned a few things of which I wasn't aware:

Please note the feature clearly states permission granted by the author with regard to posting this link.

We should also be aware that the transfer and/or posting of pictures can be in and of itself a violation of copyright law regardless whether the production actually carries a formal copyright. In this respect, all photos I have posted are in violation of copyright laws, and should be removed.

Darn it! I hate being wrong.