[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Off Topic Freegan Story Reply and More...

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:39 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:44 pm 

Ante-

I don't think I understand what question is being asked. It sounds like you could be asking two different questions:

1) Do I agree with you that this place is "infested by anti animal rights and anti animal welfare posters" ? I'm not sure infested is the word I would use, but I do think there are a large number of people who you would define that way. I think the fact that they are here on a site established by people with a different viewpoint from them is a very good thing. I set up this forum as a way to bring together people that normally do not interact with each other very much. We have hill-country, squirrel-eating hicks interacting with tofu munching vegan city slickers and every other type of stereotype you can imagine. I personally find many of the views expressed here to be repugnant and wrong, but as long as they are expressed in a semi-respectful way (which has been our biggest problem), I'm thrilled to have a place for the opinions to be expressed. We're never going to solve the world's problems by isolating ourselves with only those we agree with. I think it's a huge shame that by in large, many in the animal rights/welfare movement have not had what it takes to stick it out here and actually try to work through some of the areas of disagreement. If you left, there would be an even greater void left on "your" side of the issues.

2) Do I appreciate your presence here as a poster? It seems you are angling at this too, which surprises me. I value everyone's participation, regardless of whether I agree with you or not, as long as our pretty simple rules are followed. I think you add a great deal to the discourse and exposure to new ideas (for some) here. It would be a shame if you left.

My biggest concern for the past few years here has been the tone of the discourse here. There is a bit of a mafia attitude from the anti-animal rights folks here. If anyone shows up and posts here that seems to have the slightest bit of a pro-animal agenda, they immediately get piled on with a bunch of snide comments and very intense accusations that they are sleeping with Ingrid Newkirk or Paul Watson (an obvious exaggeration, but you get the idea). Many of these people seem to have no middle ground or room to change their perspective. This is quite disheartening and makes me wonder why they bother to come here so much. In the past I've wondered if maybe they are paid to be disruptive on boards like this, but I think really they use online boards to vent frustrations that exist in their own lives. Obviously, we've had some doozies of personalities and problems from the pro-animal rights/welfare side here too. But right now the problem is with a small group of users who purposefully attack just about anyone who posts here that might seem to disagree with them (and usually go brag about it elsewhere).

I don't know what the solution is, Ante. The forums here, for better or for worse, are a place where lots of people who are not in your choir happen to be. You either want to continue to reach out beyond the choir or you don't.

-josh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:11 pm 

Hey, excellent! Thanks a lot! This is more than I was hoping for and very much kind of feedback from you that I was hoping for.

I said in the past that I have great respect for you, and since I don't know much about you beyond this forum, it is primarily because of the way that you have set up this forum as you have explained above. One of the main reason I am posting here is because I am tired of the narrow art elite and perhaps even smaller AR groups and want to reach into these communities you have mentioned.

I guess my "question" was rather a way of looking for reassurance, more than anything else. I'm sure that you understand that when you are constantly bombarded with the negativity about yourselves, you begin doubting yourself. Recently this constant attacks and accusations that I am appropriating, "plagiarizing" and most recently that I "regurgitate the original thoughts of others," is getting to me. Also the persistent insinuations about my sanity are a bit too much.

So anyway, if you don't have any problem with my style of posting and the way I use videos and pictures in them, then I'll just continue what I've been doing. What I may try to do is make an attempt to be less confrontational and practice the art of laughingly brushing off or just ignoring the provocations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:31 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:39 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:48 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:26 pm 

The issue brought to the feedback forum has been resolved, folks. Chime in somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:52 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:27 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:30 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:14 am 

I just thought I would "chime in" and say that I really enjoy Ante's link-filled comments. Even though I don't fit in either of the polar opposite sides (lets call them carnivores and vegans), I have a kinship with both sides (wish to use animals for tests to improve the lives of other animals and eat foods that do not need cooking or refrigeration which eliminates most animal products... but done for environmental purposes). A pack of wolves go nuts when they hear the death cries of a prey animal... I think the same mentality happens on forums when the out-numbered opinion starts fighting back (or if it just looks that way).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:25 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:17 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:07 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:25 pm 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next