Here's my 'quick' review regarding Anthony Marr's 'America sucks because I don't like it' or whatever he titled it....
1) What makes his critera for 'national-greatness' so neato? He's entitled to his own standards, of course. He isn't very convincing about why anyone else should be following those standards, though.
2) 'Democracy means majority rule....'
Oh, boy. You'd think someone would have told him America isn't a democracy.
3) All the usualle ARA 'Buzz-words' get tossed out:
''Trophy hunters--'shooting anything that moved'
4) The usualle ARA "All hunters are the same' routine get's used:
'They revel in bloodshed, derive pleasure from another being's suffering...'
Same old, Same old.
5) referring to animals... 'Humans are essentially the same."
You bet ya....
6) 'Hunters; all armed to the teeth"
For bow-hunting? That's real believable....
7) 'Only .8 % of New Jersey population hunts'
No mention of how many non-hunters support hunting, though.
Classic ARA BS.
'The solution is to make the coucil anti-hunting'
Of course! Why didn't we think of this?
9) This I found a laugh: He goes to a local reporter, mumbles god knows what regarding a bow-hunt......then complains it's lying to the people when he's ignored?
Jeez. Didn't see that one coming, did we?
10) Regarding the media, he believes the entire nation is 'exceptionally right wing.'
Maybe he's comparing our media to North Korea's. I Guess it'd seem rather right wing then.
11) And we get a peek again at the in-fighting among ARA's, to whit:
The complaining of a certain ARA-type's salary. Apparently; there's a line past which even ARA's shouldn't be allowed to earn.
The writer is a bit vague why that's so and where the line should be drawn. If I were to take a guess, I would say anyone making more money then him is in the wrong.
12) He does get some things right about the abuse of the environment. Kudu's to him for that.
He is a very gifted writer.
The oddest thing: he reminded me of Prez. Obama.
A remarkably extraordinary person.....doing a remarkably ordinary job.