EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:45 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Been 'filling in' the gaps in my baseball story and thought I'd toss a few thoughts out for anyone who'd care to comment...

The 'high-point' in the story is the player in the story makes a run at the much-chased but seldom acomplished feat of batting .400.

The player is pretty young and I'm trying to get my brain what the media crush would be like. When Maris was chasing Ruth's HR record; the pressure really messed with him: some have even said he was never the same person afterwards. I recall Mcgwire complaining that he wished he could have 'his life back' when he put up his 70 homer season.

How might the team help the player deal with such a mess?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
I'm considering trying a diary format for the story. I've not dabbled in that form very much, so at the least it should make me work a bit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:29 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
Iowanic wrote:
I'm considering trying a diary format for the story. I've not dabbled in that form very much, so at the least it should make me work a bit.


Whatever works best for you.


Sometimes I just don't want to wake up. But if you feel a bubble in this life then go for it. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:42 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Well, I think I'm finally ready to start actually writing this story.
Wish me luck!

I was surprised by how much research I've had to do!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:00 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1649
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Iowanic wrote:
Which team does the hero in the ring of bright water play for? Does he will the big game, at least?
"Ring of Bright Water" has nothing to do with baseball but it will likely bring tears to your eyes no matter how manly you think you are (and the human star does think he is manly but the real star is a sea otter)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:35 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:49 pm
Posts: 7554
Location: England
Ann Vole wrote:
Iowanic wrote:
Which team does the hero in the ring of bright water play for? Does he will the big game, at least?
"Ring of Bright Water" has nothing to do with baseball but it will likely bring tears to your eyes no matter how manly you think you are (and the human star does think he is manly but the real star is a sea otter)


*****************
Mentioning baseball, one of my favourite films of all time is " Field of dreams",


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:05 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1649
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
mothy wrote:
Iowanic have you seen the film field of dreams based on the sport baseball. Well worth a watch.
mothy wrote:
Grizzly Bear wrote:
Go out and rent it [Field of Dreams] NOW! In fact, do yourself a favor and buy it. This is one of the few movies that makes grown men cry.


Check out Ring Of Bright Water. It gets me everytime.
jhawk wrote:
Mentioning baseball, one of my favorite films of all time is " Field of dreams",
(just summing up an apparent computer programming endless loop)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:53 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
I'm tinkering with a few themes/ideas in the story: I'm not sure all will pan out; so I figured I'd toss them out here, for other's thoughts/discussion.

1) rivalary between teams(The cubbies and the Pittsburg pirates, in this case)
I thought this would spice things up a bit; give readers a 'bad guy' to boo but some of the events between the two teams as the season go may be a bit over the top. There's at least one on-field brawl and the one I'm not sure about: A all-star game diss to our star-rookie by the pirates manager. Standing back and looking at it: I think baseball's higher ups would call the owners of both teams and tell them to chill out: such open hostility hurts baseball rather then helps(Ah....but does it?)

2) late in the season, the cubbie's starting catcher gets injured. They have a back-up but even he will need a rest once or twice a week. They can't call up a minor-league catcher: they traded away their most promising catching prospects early in the season, to fill other weak-spots in the line up. So I figured, "Hey, I'll just have them decide to use my rookie-star as a backup catcher."
But a bit over the top, too. They're trying to make him into a center-fielder: to up and decide to have him fill in at a entirely new position; in the middle of a pennant race, takes some suspension of belief!

any thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
Ann Vole wrote:
Iowanic wrote:
Which team does the hero in the ring of bright water play for? Does he will the big game, at least?
"Ring of Bright Water" has nothing to do with baseball but it will likely bring tears to your eyes no matter how manly you think you are (and the human star does think he is manly but the real star is a sea otter)


I recently went on holiday to seil island where it is set but never quite got the emotion the movie set. Perhaps I needed Val Doonigan in the background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVexuzC9Zzw

Iv'e posted the song before but it so captures the emotive aspect of the film.

Good luck with the writing Iowanic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
Iowanic wrote:
I'm tinkering with a few themes/ideas in the story: I'm not sure all will pan out; so I figured I'd toss them out here, for other's thoughts/discussion.

1) rivalary between teams(The cubbies and the Pittsburg pirates, in this case)
I thought this would spice things up a bit; give readers a 'bad guy' to boo but some of the events between the two teams as the season go may be a bit over the top. There's at least one on-field brawl and the one I'm not sure about: A all-star game diss to our star-rookie by the pirates manager. Standing back and looking at it: I think baseball's higher ups would call the owners of both teams and tell them to chill out: such open hostility hurts baseball rather then helps(Ah....but does it?)

2) late in the season, the cubbie's starting catcher gets injured. They have a back-up but even he will need a rest once or twice a week. They can't call up a minor-league catcher: they traded away their most promising catching prospects early in the season, to fill other weak-spots in the line up. So I figured, "Hey, I'll just have them decide to use my rookie-star as a backup catcher."
But a bit over the top, too. They're trying to make him into a center-fielder: to up and decide to have him fill in at a entirely new position; in the middle of a pennant race, takes some suspension of belief!

any thoughts?




You don't want to make a hole bigger than you can fill. Mothys advice to budding authors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:54 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
I've actually began a sort of 'narration' of Myth's story over at the 'Baseball fever' forum. if anyone's interested, they can take a peek...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:21 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Well, we're to the all-star break.
I've found I REALLY enjoy the fantasy-season to the real season of the cubs... [-(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Another baseball season is under way...

If anyone's wondering, last season it was actually the cubs who were world champs, beating the yankees in 5 games, with 'Zeke' Myth having a fine world series.

Now he has to try and see if he can a season as fine as last year... #-o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:23 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Once more, I wish Myth was a real player for the cubs!! :x

Been a tough season so far...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:44 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Myth's having a decent season so far but even the fictional cubs are having a poor season.
Following a .400 season would be tough for anyone, though....

I'd like to be his agent, though....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group