EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:33 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:13 pm
Posts: 7957
Location: Cape Breton Npva Scotia
CatLady wrote:
Hi everyone

what are you all like!?

Yes, I was a bit strong on the ''wipe'' bit - send them to Timbuktu or something, I spend about from 6am in the morning until 2am in the next morning of my day on cats, feeding them, cleaning their houses spending time with them, it takes a while to get around them all and when the last one is done I have to start all over again - my choice I know, and I am not complaining at all - it is a privilege to have them, but running after 11 cats can be quite a job when there are three different groups of them all in different places and I am awaiting a cat run to be built - which will make this sort of situation easier I should imagine.


You do not have a clue what I do or how much I care about my cats.

Basically, The hunters are a pest in my life and certainly the cats could do without them also - I don’t want them anywhere near my cats and I do wish they would vanish. I don’t agree with them if I am to be honest anyway.

Maybe human rights was the wrong description, but I simply want them not to be shooting here but have to put up with it and I am thinking why do I have to put up it - why can't they be the ones to go away instead - primarily, for my animals sake and safety and my piece of mind on their behalf - they are terrified when it starts even in the shed - I simply don’t want the shooting or any of it near us, I want them to go away, I can’t go away, I and my cats live here - I spend a lot of time worrying about the 2 cats whom I am trying to learn to stay in the outbuildings but have yet to achieve it - it’s not simple to do and yes it is stressful, to me anyway - because I am responsible for my cats and I want to make it as safe for them as I can. Hunters are just a nasty big spanner in the works of my life, (ok so plebs was a bit insulting - point taken). If I did not care I would hardly be worrying about it and I would not be here.

Also, I don’t think for one minute that the animals who are being shot at are not suffering, I have stood there and watched them in their last moments (poor creatures) and it is done for sport - or hobby whatever ... all the same... for someone’s pleasure or relaxation/recreation, what can be fun about scaring and killing animals like that?! Food is one thing but sport is quite another.

It is my opinion.

As for those % figures.. Put it this way, if many people witnessed it firsthand they would soon be against it when they see a little bunny run for its life and be shot at then dead, it is horrible & horrific. It is all very well saying something is this or that when one is not near to it but to see it is another story. Educated on seeing that - yes, educated on shooting animals - yes - done it, been there and decided no way, never again and do not agree.

CL




I witnessed hunting firsthand and now am a hunter as are all hunters who all had to go through firsthand hunts. who knows that desire to embrace animal suffering is false. Logically thinking people figure that out to and that is why 77 % support hunting. They know hunters are seeking clean quick kills because us hunters are to lazy to be chasing wounded animals. Yes ARA propaganda teaches hunters are a lazy slovenly lot but in the same breath tell how we hunt to torture and wound animals. According to the other lies that ARA tell about hunters in hopes of demonizing them we should be the torturing animals for long periods of time by chasing them around in circles after wounding them. This hunter is way to lazy to take that route. I want the animal to drop dead where I shoot it as that will make my day so much easier.

_________________
I use red, not because of anger but to define my posts to catch rebuttals latter and it makes the quote feature redundent for me. The rest of you pick your own color.

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:25 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
8-[ Are we purposely avoiding discussion of the obvious problem and potential solution here?

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:48 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
CatLady wrote:
Hi everyone

what are you all like!?

Yes, I was a bit strong on the ''wipe'' bit - send them to Timbuktu or something, I spend about from 6am in the morning until 2am in the next morning of my day on cats, feeding them, cleaning their houses spending time with them, it takes a while to get around them all and when the last one is done I have to start all over again - my choice I know, and I am not complaining at all - it is a privilege to have them, but running after 11 cats can be quite a job when there are three different groups of them all in different places and I am awaiting a cat run to be built - which will make this sort of situation easier I should imagine.


You do not have a clue what I do or how much I care about my cats.



You know, the guys/hunters may not be able to call you out on this but I can.
Going by your statements here, you clearly are not and have not had any experience working with feral cats. I actually even doubt you feed ferals on a regular basis.
You are basing how feral cats are on something you have "read about" and not on actually being around them or working with them. I know this because I know the difference and I have read things written about ferals and I actually work with them, tame them and home them.....and I do it quite frequently and have been doing it for some time. Funny thing is you don't even know what you said that exposed you here.

Your only purpose here is to attack hunters and you just let the "cat" out of the bag and showed your hand with your complete lack of knowledge about working with ferals. You are telling stories.
[-X [-X


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:58 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
Help us with this one, Fos. What should Catlady be doing?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:01 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9573
I'm curious about something, Catlady. It may be a bit off-subject but I'm trying to understand just how you've come to your views on hunting..

If one of your semi-fernals were attacked by a stray dog...a starving stray dog....

Would you stop the dog?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:56 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 am
Posts: 53
Location: NL
Animal Lover

Depends what you mean by ferrals, I mean descended from domestic cats but live wild. I previously worked in cat shelters and did work with ferrals but not extensively. I recently moved to the countryside and now work with the ones that are here and arrange to have them sterilized etc and all 7 of them are done (plus the 2 I already had were done before) and there are 2 to be done. If you had read my other posts you would know that I had 2 cats of my own when I came here now I have 11, 5 indoor now. 4 outdoor/shed cats and 2 forest ones.
I inherited some of them from the previous house owner who fed them but they lived wild. I have out buildings in which 5 of them live but need better facilities and expect a cat run etc soon.

...and yes - they are not MY cats but as a figure of speech they are mine opposed to anyone else in the area.

so apart from that - huh?

CL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:57 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
Iowanic wrote:
Help us with this one, Fos. What should Catlady be doing?


Do you not find it ironic, perhaps even comical, an argument on how some folks shouldn't be doing certain things, how they should be wiped off the planet, move to Timbuktu or whatever, coming from one that spends 20 hours a day cat-tending? .

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:03 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 am
Posts: 53
Location: NL
Quote:
I'm curious about something, Catlady. It may be a bit off-subject but I'm trying to understand just how you've come to your views on hunting..

If one of your semi-fernals were attacked by a stray dog...a starving stray dog....

Would you stop the dog?


I would try to save the cat of course but would not hurt the dog either. There are some situations which I can not control, like ownerless dogs or other wild animals etc but there are not many of them around here, thankfully. However, I do expect dog owners to keep their dogs in control around the cats and will hold them accountable (not the dog) if a situation should arise - which hopefully it wont.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:07 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 am
Posts: 53
Location: NL
Quote:
Do you not find it ironic, perhaps even comical, an argument on how some folks shouldn't be doing certain things, how they should be wiped off the planet, move to Timbuktu or whatever, coming from one that spends 20 hours a day cat-tending? .




and you mean what by saying that exactly? (Cat tending is better than animal killing in my book.)

I should have added to the above post:I spend about from 6am in the morning until 2am in the next morning of my day on cats - amongst the other stuff I have to do as well, meaning it starts with cats and ends with cats - with cats and my other work in between. Cats are not the only thing that I have to do in a day but they do keep me busy amongst other things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:25 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 16150
Location: Florida
CatLady wrote:
Animal Lover

Depends what you mean by ferrals, I mean descended from domestic cats but live wild. I previously worked in cat shelters and did work with ferrals but not extensively. I recently moved to the countryside and now work with the ones that are here and arrange to have them sterilized etc and all 7 of them are done (plus the 2 I already had were done before) and there are 2 to be done. If you had read my other posts you would know that I had 2 cats of my own when I came here now I have 11, 5 indoor now. 4 outdoor/shed cats and 2 forest ones.
I inherited some of them from the previous house owner who fed them but they lived wild. I have out buildings in which 5 of them live but need better facilities and expect a cat run etc soon.

...and yes - they are not MY cats but as a figure of speech they are mine opposed to anyone else in the area.

so apart from that - huh?

CL


Oh, I have been reading your posts and it seems you are having a hard time keeping your story straight. It just keeps on changing.
And it is just like another story that has been told on the same topic which also kept on evolving and changing.

And BTW if the cats are registered to you then they are YOUR cats and your are responsible for them in every way. You are their owner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:58 pm 
Offline
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:14 pm
Posts: 785
Location: In the woods near Evergreen, Colorado
CatLady wrote:
Grizzly

I think that animal culling should be done by a few professional people and these hunting plebs should be banned from doing it. Animals should not die in the name of sport and should not be terrorized before being euthanized (<---- this being the operative word as in should be the case), at the least. There has to be something wrong with people who enjoy causing suffering and fear to animals, and to cap it, then kill them. Pretty much warped way to have fun, in my opinion.

I personally feel that my human rights are being violated by hunters right now on a daily basis, I have a right to peace of mind and to live where I live in peace (and it is a foregone conclusion that the poor animals who dont have a voice or a choice have a right to not be terrorized to death at somebody's pleasure). I would seriously like to see hunters wiped from the face of the earth and believe me if I can do anything about it I will. If only 21% of the population think hunting is ok then perhaps you should examine why the remainder are against it and remember you are in a minority which will get smaller with time and yes - evolution. Cave men went out of season a long time ago, in case you did not notice, we have supermarkets now and if you want sport why dont you take up gymnastics or something less violent or there is always judo or karate or even clay pidgeon shooting or archery.

:mrgreen:


Let's deconstruct this little diatribe.


Quote:
I think that animal culling should be done by a few professional people and these hunting plebs should be banned from doing it.


This makes no sense when one considers the fact that paying "professionals" to do it costs money. Why have a professional do it, when there are people who are willing to pay for licenses to do it and to use the resource as food? Of course, the answer is because it makes the ARs feel good.

Quote:
Animals should not die in the name of sport and should not be terrorized before being euthanized (<---- this being the operative word as in should be the case), at the least. There has to be something wrong with people who enjoy causing suffering and fear to animals, and to cap it, then kill them. Pretty much warped way to have fun, in my opinion.


No hunter I have known, and I have known many, wants to make an animal suffer. Indeed, I want to make a clean kill every time. This is not only an ethical consideration, but a pragmatic one as well. When I hunt elk, I do a lot of hiking. The last thing I want to do is make more work for myself having to track a wounded animal down canyons or up a mountain. Furthermore, stressed animals have a lot of adrenalin flowing, which can taint the meat. Sometimes badly. You're just parroting another vapid AR falsehood.

Quote:
I personally feel that my human rights are being violated by hunters right now on a daily basis,....


I call bovine excrement. If these hunters are not trespassing on your property, assaulting you, or threatening you, then your rights are not being violated. If your person or property is not being violated by another, there is no violation of rights. End of story.


Quote:
..I have a right to peace of mind..


Oh, please. There is no right to peace of mind. Your peace of mind is YOUR responsibility. Hearing stories from my wife, who is a nurse that works with cancer patients, I know for a fact that there are people who are in much worse circumstances than you likely are who do just fine maintaining their peace of mind. Cut the self-pitying, victimhood crap.

Quote:
..and to live where I live in peace


You have no right to tell others what legal activity they can or cannot do on their own property. The world does not revolve around you, your cats, or your peace of mind. Did you do your homework before you moved there? Did you know that hunting was allowed in this area? It seems to be common sense that if one lives in a rural or natural area, that one will have to deal with things such as this. If you don't want to deal with the hunters in this rural area, perhaps an apartment in the city would better suit your needs as you would no longer have to deal with them.


Quote:
...and it is a foregone conclusion that the poor animals who dont have a voice or a choice have a right to not be terrorized to death at somebody's pleasure...


A "forgone conclusion"? What an arrogant statement. It is anything BUT a forgone conclusion. Read some of the threads that have been active for the past few weeks. They are loaded with debate about validity of animal rights ideology.


Quote:
I would seriously like to see hunters wiped from the face of the earth and believe me if I can do anything about it I will.


Are you threatening people with violence? It kinda sounds like it. And you claim others are violating your rights? Hypocrite. Yet another "gentle", "compassionate", "enlightened", AR.


Quote:
If only 21% of the population think hunting is ok


This dubious data has already been debunked on another thread.

_________________
Vegetarian: Old Native American word meaning really bad hunter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:02 am 
Offline
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:14 pm
Posts: 785
Location: In the woods near Evergreen, Colorado
Ante Bozanich wrote:
Grizzly Bear wrote:
I think I'm going to write a donation check of $1,147 ...


You're going to have to bring that up to $ 1,415 because the membership since yesterday has gone up by about 300 members.

Enough time spent here... Yuck!



No problem, Bozanich. There's more where that came from. You see, if one works hard, and shows perseverance and responsibility within the capitalist system, rather than being a freeloader and a loser, one gets to the point to where one can afford to do such things. \:D/

_________________
Vegetarian: Old Native American word meaning really bad hunter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:13 pm
Posts: 7957
Location: Cape Breton Npva Scotia
Grizzly Bear wrote:
Ante Bozanich wrote:
Grizzly Bear wrote:
I think I'm going to write a donation check of $1,147 ...


You're going to have to bring that up to $ 1,415 because the membership since yesterday has gone up by about 300 members.

Enough time spent here... Yuck!



No problem, Bozanich. There's more where that came from. You see, if one works hard, and shows perseverance and responsibility within the capitalist system, rather than being a freeloader and a loser, one gets to the point to where one can afford to do such things. \:D/



I second that observation Grizzly. Just looking for some flights for Mexican vacation in the next few months. Like to do some snorkeling of Cozumel. If I were a freeloader I wouldn't find those tickets in the bottom of a dumpster.
:lol: :-

_________________
I use red, not because of anger but to define my posts to catch rebuttals latter and it makes the quote feature redundent for me. The rest of you pick your own color.

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:44 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:13 pm
Posts: 7957
Location: Cape Breton Npva Scotia
CatLady wrote:
Quote:
Do you not find it ironic, perhaps even comical, an argument on how some folks shouldn't be doing certain things, how they should be wiped off the planet, move to Timbuktu or whatever, coming from one that spends 20 hours a day cat-tending? .




and you mean what by saying that exactly? (Cat tending is better than animal killing in my book.)

I should have added to the above post:I spend about from 6am in the morning until 2am in the next morning of my day on cats - amongst the other stuff I have to do as well, meaning it starts with cats and ends with cats - with cats and my other work in between. Cats are not the only thing that I have to do in a day but they do keep me busy amongst other things.



I feel like I should shoot those felines just to give you a rest or is it to give the cats a way out from under your constant harassment??
:mrgreen:

_________________
I use red, not because of anger but to define my posts to catch rebuttals latter and it makes the quote feature redundent for me. The rest of you pick your own color.

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:54 am 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 am
Posts: 53
Location: NL
Well, again thanks for all your comments. Very interesting. personally I do wish that the sport of hunting does end one day. I did not expect to come across a whole wad of pro hunters but there you have it.
I have to honestly say it did not improve my opinion of hunting but no one needs my approval of course. it goes without saying. So I am arrogant or whatever - according to the replies..

Donnie McLeod - nasty and uncalled for comments = well done. I take it your a hunter...good advert
You would be first in line to lose your hunting license if you did something like that.

Wont be seeing ya because I will not be engaging with you again. I find you threatening.

CL


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group