Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to the forum...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:42 am 
New User
New User

Hi,

New to this forum. Looking forward to reading posts and getting acquainted. I'm an independent film producer and among other things, I've got a blog going encouraging families to move toward sustainable living.

Dave Westbrook
http://www.selfsufficientlivingblog.com

Post subject: Re: New to the forum...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:12 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:14 pm 

I saw the picture and took the link to Amazon.com for the book needed by so many, "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". It seems mainly an ad for the DVD about the coming crises to cities, and a call to move out of them and become self-sufficient in the country. I did to escape and have been on solar power 12 years and built my own Earthship, which is not mentioned. Many people have moved out to the rural areas, but very few give a hoot about the future and going solar/wind powered. There were 150 homes here in 1997, and now over 600, with limited mountain fissure water that people just don't understand, and I am the only one with solar power and an Earthship. One other is still incomplete here from 1995, the family moved in illegally and the "man" was too lazy to finish it, and they got kicked out with the tire house being condemned. I have a year's supply of food, plenty of ammo, and firewood.
The threat to the cities from overpopulation effects will drive many to rob and kill, and out marauding into the nearby countryside. The people here will run out and be a threat, too.
Very few have supplies stockpiled, and there are probably not more than 20 solar electric homes in this county of 20,000 and five Earthships, and one straw bale house. Pretty sickening how few care about the future, their own included, or the environment. Even the can do spirit and seasonal canning work that used to be done by my mother and grandmother is gone for most. There isn't enough game animals left so the few who are lucky get drawn in a lottery. It is a pity, because I grew up on wild game and fish. Even the pristine mountain lakes carry a warning on how many trout to eat because of mercury from Chinese coal power plants that has settled across the continental divide.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:16 pm 
New User
New User

Hi! I am new as well, and looking forward to "meeting" and talking to all of you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:41 pm 

Howdy-do!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:28 pm 

welcome!
I too consider myself an "independent filmmaker" but more along the lines of animation and in the future, live action of small animals. I may make a series of how-to videos on building energy and food/water self-sufficient buildings and living comfortably in them without needing some of the biggest energy users, appliances involved with cooking and refrigeration of food.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:39 am 

Hello Dave. Nice to meet you. A very warm welcome to the forum.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com