EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:48 am 
New User
New User

Hello Everyone,
I was told by a friend to check this site out that I maybe able to find some help with my dogs, First I live in Michigan and with our economy in such bad shape I have not had any steady work since last Octoeber. I was wondering where I can go to get help for my German Shepherds (6), I need food for them and I have been feeding them what Food I have for myself, I only get $200 a month in Food Stamps and nothing else. Could someone tell if theres some place I could go to get Dog Food? I have always fed my Dogs Pro Plan and Prina One Food but at a cost of $80.00 every two and half weeks and being I have No Income at all I have had to feed them Pasta, beans, popcorn, corn on the cob. and now I have run out of that stuff,
Thanks
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:15 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Welcome, Frank. Ya in a bit of a fix!

Do you have any family or friends who can take over the care of the dogs for ya, till you can get back on your feet?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:28 pm 

Would you be able to do some kind of work at an animal shelter or dog food store and be paid in animal feed ?
Have you tried the animal welfare groups ?
I don't know what organisations you have as I am a Brit.
Anyway, I hope you get help soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:34 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

I want to say thank you for being honest and your intention is pure. I understand your situation and it's not easy to maintain the food of your dogs most especially now that we all experiencing crisis. Lots of people are unemployed and some are underemployed so it's not easy to be in your situation. Ask help from people around you whom you know can give your help. I don't know if there's a group or organization for that but hope there will be some.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:59 pm 

People on food stamps shouldn't have any dogs. Six big dogs is excessive even for someone working, especially not out on large acreage in the country. [-X Sell the dogs or turn them in to the nearest no kill shelter. It might be a good idea to get help for obsessive/compulsive disorder. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:45 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

I agree, better put them in a place where they can get enough care and food. If you cannot support them fully you have to decide. I know you really love your dogs but it's time to make them feel that they are loved. Most of the time, food makes them happy aside from the attention that you give them each day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:20 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

I'd like to know how you can feed 6 GSDs on the kind of food you say you give them for $80 every two and a half weeks or so. And I have to agree with others, even one GSD, given that they are dogs that need to work and be stimulated, would be hard when you work full time, and without work, 6 would be a full time job. I hope you are a troll because I feel for those 6 dogs even with plenty of food.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:41 am 
New User
New User

I am late getting here, but their is a place online called Pet Rescue Site, they work on getting food donations by people clicking a tab.
I know of people who were homeless that got dog food thru local stores when exp date came thru. In 70's I was single mom and had a dog. I got off welfare and went on program during Carter Admin called Manpower..enabled peoeple to learn job skillss. They paid $125 week plus car gas allot and babysitter alott. Lot better than $188 mth I got paid every two weeks and that is when food was in. $88 in food stamps. We made it thru on Pizza, mac & chees and salads. There is always ways to help.
Animal Shelters have over half a million dogs right now. They get into fix also taking in so many animals. Judge no why we end up with animals but instead give confidence, ideas.
See if you can do small jobs in area. Believe me I cleaned enough slum housing, got neighbors food because I had a cigarette habit. Look to German Shepard Rescue. Each animal because of people who do not care or do not get animals fixed have made Rescues a vital need in each State. I hope you fared well, they are our best friends, loving companions and children.

For a thought I too used proplan and had 8 rotties at one time, so I know cost of feeding mine was more than yours. I learned to get torn bags, sale bags and mixed the better food with the others. It stretched food out, and my coats/health was not jeopardized. I have one one pup now and I do the same. Restaurants get rid of lot of food...talk with people and you may be able to start a helping hand for others.