[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Religious slaughter in the UK

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:20 am 
New User
New User

Although all slaughter is unpleasant, religious slaughter where the animal is not pre stunned, but fully conscious whilst its throat is sliced open, then hoisted up on hooks through it's hind quarters and left for about 10 minutes until it bleeds to death is downright cruel, sadistic and barbaric. If you disagree with this form of slaughter or would like some more information, would you please click the link and sign the petition. Thanks
http://www.gopetition.com/petition/38160.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:23 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

I disagree with that kind of slaughtering. If you are a type of person who have concern a lot with animals then you won't disagree with that kind. Honestly, brutal way of killing animals specially if conscious is something that I vehemently disagree. I've seen a lot of videos pertaining to it and I always have this sad feeling.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:41 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Greencarz: Try not to jump so quickly to supporting a petition or viewpoint until you checked the facts. Objections against halal slaughter are often based on emotion rather than facts. Why is halal slaughter worse than conventional slaughter (answer: those who want you to sign anti-halal petitions want to end *all* slaughter, this is just a way to get at that)? Fact is, we get emotionally upset because of the seemingly cruel way of halal slaughter, cutting a conscious animal's throat and bleeding it out. But the laws of halal slaughter require probably better treatment of the animal than Western methods: it must be done with a very sharp knife, and not in the presence of other animals, for instance (see http://www.mustaqim.co.uk/halal.htm ). A very sharp cut in itself is not painful, as many humans will know from experience; and cutting the main vessels to the brain will cause unconsciousness very fast. There has been a German study of this : http://www.halalfocus.com/artman2/uploa ... t_1978.pdf is a translation. In addition, in some countries, mild stunning is used before halal slaughter. So before jumping to support what I consider questionable arguments and a petition, think: who is arguing for the petition? Are their arguments sound? For whose benefit?

Last edited by Cobie on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:39 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

My understanding (of Jewish Kosher slaughter, at least) is that it is not the cutting of a concious animal's throat with a sharp knife by a qualified, pious person that is objectionable. Rather it is the shackle and hoisting of the animal where the animal is suspended upside down in the air by one chained leg, before it is cut and the length of time the animal is made to wait and (I'm not sure if this is true) that more than one animal may be suspended and have to wait in line to be cut.

The shackle and hoist method as described above is not always used precisely because of the debate in animal welfare (not rights) among the rabbinate and others. Kosher slaughter permits that the animals be restrained upright (e.g. in a standing pen) until the moment of cutting or in a box-like holding pen that inverts the animal so that the cut may be made downward, and then suspending the animal upsidedown to bleed out.

I think in Europe and the US, kosher slaughter is done mainly, if not exclusively, by the restraint method for animal welfare and worker safety. However, in South America, e.g., which is a large, if not the largest, supplier of kosher beef to the US and Israel, the shackle and hoist method is more predominant and is, moreover, endorsed by the Israeli Rabbinate and the US Orthodox Union.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:37 am 
New User
New User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:15 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:59 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:10 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:43 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:46 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:45 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:25 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

I read the petition's line differently - once an animal's throat has been cut (which results in very fast loss of consciousness), the animal is *then* (the petition says, meaning, after) hoisted (so as to prevent blood covering the carcass making it -religiously- unclean) - so in my reading, this is just a petition that unless read carefully, may be presented against halal/kosher slaughter per se.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:39 am 
New User
New User

After watching a video of a cow being slaughtered the Halal way, I will state that I could never buy halal slaughtered meat. The man was bleeding out the cow for several minutes while the cow had cramps and struggeled to stay on it's feet. It truly is a terrible thing to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:51 am 
New User
New User

Thanks to those for signing the petition. The petition is against religious slaughter in the UK, which involves cutting the animals throat whilst fully conscious and then hoisting the animals upside down until they slowly bleed to death. I am not an animal rights activist, I just care for all animals. There is no need for scarcasm. If you are ok with this kind of torture to animals, then that is your perogative.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:09 am