[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - batter up

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: batter up
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:45 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Been 'filling in' the gaps in my baseball story and thought I'd toss a few thoughts out for anyone who'd care to comment...

The 'high-point' in the story is the player in the story makes a run at the much-chased but seldom acomplished feat of batting .400.

The player is pretty young and I'm trying to get my brain what the media crush would be like. When Maris was chasing Ruth's HR record; the pressure really messed with him: some have even said he was never the same person afterwards. I recall Mcgwire complaining that he wished he could have 'his life back' when he put up his 70 homer season.

How might the team help the player deal with such a mess?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 pm 

I'm considering trying a diary format for the story. I've not dabbled in that form very much, so at the least it should make me work a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:29 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:42 pm 

Well, I think I'm finally ready to start actually writing this story.
Wish me luck!

I was surprised by how much research I've had to do!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:00 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:35 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:05 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:53 am 

I'm tinkering with a few themes/ideas in the story: I'm not sure all will pan out; so I figured I'd toss them out here, for other's thoughts/discussion.

1) rivalary between teams(The cubbies and the Pittsburg pirates, in this case)
I thought this would spice things up a bit; give readers a 'bad guy' to boo but some of the events between the two teams as the season go may be a bit over the top. There's at least one on-field brawl and the one I'm not sure about: A all-star game diss to our star-rookie by the pirates manager. Standing back and looking at it: I think baseball's higher ups would call the owners of both teams and tell them to chill out: such open hostility hurts baseball rather then helps(Ah....but does it?)

2) late in the season, the cubbie's starting catcher gets injured. They have a back-up but even he will need a rest once or twice a week. They can't call up a minor-league catcher: they traded away their most promising catching prospects early in the season, to fill other weak-spots in the line up. So I figured, "Hey, I'll just have them decide to use my rookie-star as a backup catcher."
But a bit over the top, too. They're trying to make him into a center-fielder: to up and decide to have him fill in at a entirely new position; in the middle of a pennant race, takes some suspension of belief!

any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:54 pm 

I've actually began a sort of 'narration' of Myth's story over at the 'Baseball fever' forum. if anyone's interested, they can take a peek...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:21 pm 

Well, we're to the all-star break.
I've found I REALLY enjoy the fantasy-season to the real season of the cubs... [-(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 am 

Another baseball season is under way...

If anyone's wondering, last season it was actually the cubs who were world champs, beating the yankees in 5 games, with 'Zeke' Myth having a fine world series.

Now he has to try and see if he can a season as fine as last year... #-o

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:23 pm 

Once more, I wish Myth was a real player for the cubs!! :x

Been a tough season so far...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:44 pm 

Myth's having a decent season so far but even the fictional cubs are having a poor season.
Following a .400 season would be tough for anyone, though....

I'd like to be his agent, though....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next