EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:44 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Mewonders....

In my scifi story; I started with the premise that the colony goverment would start as preety much libertarian....

But time and influences can change all manner of things.....

What sort of goverment will the colony have 10 years after 'walking down the plank'? What sort of influences stand likely to be the guiding influences?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:36 pm 
New User
New User

You need to define libertarian.

Most likely corporations would buy out the police and other groups, allowing them to break safety and environmental regulations for profit.

"In My view, all that is necessary for faith is the belief that by doing our best we shall come nearer to success and that success in our aims (the improvement of the lot of mankind, present and future) is worth attaining."- ROSALIND FRANKLIN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:42 am 

The scale in question may modifiy that event....

A) the 'start-up' colonists will start at somewhat under 13000: the size of a moderate-sized city.
B) Many of the original colonists will already be in 'We want to be ourselves' mode. Their is a fairly strict muslim-sect who come along.(Numbering about 200) They have skills in construction and offer to build one provinces tidal-power plants; in exchange for basically being allowed to otherwise completely remove themselves from the rest of the colonists.
There is a far-right wing survivualist-sect of about the same number who basically get the same deal(They're ore-miners).
C) the colony is basically a one-way trip: the only contact with earth after landing will be be radio. Any 'Corparations are going to be pretty small and on their own; working in a population that will frown on having their individual freedoms messed with.

D) of course, with a 10 year time-scale; we can only guess what might happen. A corpo-take over is possible.....but not likely, I feel.