EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: vegan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:51 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
For twenty four years I've abstained from meat, milk (and all its byproducts) eggs and honey cochineal, glycerin and all sorts of things because of ethical reasons.
Careful with soap and detergents I realised animal products were so embedded and so tested on in our society that there was no so such as vegan. It's an idea that crumbles whenever someone in society tries to be one. I've never been pompous or sanctimonious, I've never said 'oi don't eat meat', I do admit I did tell tell a rather attractive girl once 'Thats quite prehistoric'
When a creature crawls, hops, slithers, flies, walks through this fantastic phenomena (most accept it a few realise it )must have a mind and surely we must at all levels connect to other species! no!
to be a vegan one must feel a real isolation in one's own life and make that connection.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:29 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
mothy wrote:
For twenty four years I've abstained from meat, milk (and all its byproducts) eggs and honey cochineal, glycerin and all sorts of things because of ethical reasons.
Careful with soap and detergents I realised animal products were so embedded and so tested on in our society that there was no so such as vegan. It's an idea that crumbles whenever someone in society tries to be one. I've never been pompous or sanctimonious, I've never said 'oi don't eat meat', I do admit I did tell tell a rather attractive girl once 'Thats quite prehistoric'
When a creature crawls, hops, slithers, flies, walks through this fantastic phenomena (most accept it a few realise it )must have a mind and surely we must at all levels connect to other species! no!
to be a vegan one must feel a real isolation in one's own life and make that connection.



To have a mind one must have a mind to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:24 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20500
Location: Southeastern US
Yes, a vegan is an impossible concept. You kill various lifeforms in order to survive just as every other higher form of life has to kill to survive. If one chooses to minimize their impact knowing they cannot eliminate said impact and thus do not try to belittle others for a lesser attempt, I can respect that attempt. Otherwise it is just a double standard being set up as a false goal.

I have abstained for abstaining for most of my life.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 pm 
Offline
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:23 pm
Posts: 246
Is that because you can resist anything except temptation?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:15 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
Cobie wrote:
Is that because you can resist anything except temptation?


To resist temptation is to resist all that the souls receieves.

I constantly have dark dreams. The opposite of what the conciousness needs for a healthy soul.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
Sinking into sleep instigates troubled dreams but none to the extent that reality discloses.

12000000 innocent placid souls die every hour. Only angry when protecting their young.

http://www.britishmeat.com/veal.html

How can we live with ourselves? I know let us stick our head in the concrete. Concrete is thicker than sand!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:14 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Well, humans are omnivorves, Mothy. Why should we feel guilty at eatting the way we were created?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:23 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
Iowanic wrote:
Well, humans are omnivorves, Mothy. Why should we feel guilty at eatting the way we were created?


If that is the philosophy of the working mind then surely we would be still living in the dark ages.

When you were born did you have a say in what image you would be born into?

As the principal of the school should set a good example shouldn't we do the same?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:58 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2255
Location: Central Colorado
Plants have feelings, too!!!
They grow better with hard rock/heavy metal music.
For anything to live, something else must die and be composted. It is the circle of life.
:crazy: :clap: :shh: :problem: :eh:

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Plants have feelings, too!!!
They grow better with hard rock/heavy metal music.
For anything to live, something else must die and be composted. It is the circle of life.
:crazy: :clap: :shh: :problem: :eh:


Yes when I do the gardening I feel a certain hyprocisy as to what plants ( some classified as weeds) should perish.

Would you prefer to cut a squealing pigs throat than that of a stem of potato plant?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:41 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20500
Location: Southeastern US
mothy wrote:
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Plants have feelings, too!!!
They grow better with hard rock/heavy metal music.
For anything to live, something else must die and be composted. It is the circle of life.
:crazy: :clap: :shh: :problem: :eh:


Yes when I do the gardening I feel a certain hyprocisy as to what plants ( some classified as weeds) should perish.

Would you prefer to cut a squealing pigs throat than that of a stem of potato plant?


So you are saying not all lives are equal?

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
Wayne Stollings wrote:
So you are saying not all lives are equal?


Rhetorical alert! :razz:

Of course s/he is. Like just about any AR-inspired vegan, the more a lifeform is similar to one such as themselves, the more consideration it is afforded.

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:55 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
mothy wrote:
As the principal of the school should set a good example shouldn't we do the same?


You'd have a point if it were a question of good or bad. As it stands, it simply is what it is. There's little if any sense in rejecting what you are.

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:44 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
In the essential pure form of equal the only thing this reality obeys is 1+1=2.

I try to equalise the extremes but big nature always seems to beat me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vegan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:59 pm
Posts: 1348
Fosgate wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
So you are saying not all lives are equal?


Rhetorical alert! :razz:

Of course s/he is. Like just about any AR-inspired vegan, the more a lifeform is similar to one such as themselves, the more consideration it is afforded.


Thats true. If a human and a cat were about to be runover instinct would favour that i'de save the human.

Constantly trying to find that elusive phrase that will change the world for the better.

As Nietzsche said 'to write in 12 words what it takes to write a book thats my ambition.'


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group