[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - love mankind and animal kind

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:54 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:35 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:43 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:59 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:27 pm 

Wasp wings don't like soapy water either. Knocks them right down. Filled up many a super soaker with Dawn and water, put it on a spray pattern, and got them either on the nest and even while flying. They go right after the bright orange barrel tip which of course is the thing moving around most. Like shooting fish in a barrel and you won't burn anything down.

Reminds me--couple of days ago at work I walked up to my clipboard only to find a wasp looking creature crawling around on it as long as my thumb and I swear, half as big around. Biggest wasp I've ever seen. It was solid black with a blue tint on its grasshopper-looking wings Didn't look like a dirt dauber at all either, just a hugeass wasp. Gonna have to look that one up and find out what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:32 pm 

Yep, here it is. It was a great black wasp. Awesome insect.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_Great_Black_Wasp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:10 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

One house we lived in had an infestation of digger wasps in the yard. These were black and yellow and HUGE. They dug tunnels moles would not have a problem getting into and left mounds you could use to pitch baseball from. We used badminton rackets on them whilst in the air and chunks of dry ice to get them in their nests. We killed dozens every year for three or four years before breaking their cycle.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:51 am 

Man I'd hate to mistakingly run over something like that with a mower...or should I just drive up, leave the blade on, and stop? :lol:

I bid farewell to a colony of paper wasps in my carport back when we moved. They had been there for years and I never could kill them off. They were mean little bastards that would turn, face the vehicle driving up, and open up their wings in formation as if ready to swarm. They looked just like a row of little F-14 tomcats ready for launch. Problem was that my parking spot put my door directly under them. I had to park halfway out and they'd still all eyeball me, turning as I walked out of the car and into the house. One pegged me right on the tip of the nose once. Whole face swole up, half from the sting, half from my own blow swatting at him.

I can't tell you how many cans of raid I poured into the cracks or how many times I filled my water gun with soapy water and drenched them. The wood around their entry/exit point was literally whitewashed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:18 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

My great uncle lived in the same old farm house for as long as I remember him. For almost as long I remember him fighting the colony of bumblebees living in the exterior wall near the back door. Like most of the folks of that age in the area, they rarely used anything other than the back door and that held true for all visitors other than strangers. It was not long after I got my first BB gun that the tide finally turned in that battle. He discovered my BB gun was perfect for shooting the little buggers as they entered anf exited the hole thy had made in the wall without doing more damage to the siding. He would sit in a chair almost all day some days just plinking away at the bees. He finally plugged the hole after the first day he did not see any activity. He was afraid to plug it before in case the bees would be forced to exit into the house or would open more holes to the exterior. I was driving by that time and had "donated" many hours to that cause in the interim years.

The best part was that my uncle only had one arm as the other had been ripped off in a mining accident when my mother was just a girl. He still shot better than most people with two arms.... as hundreds of bumblebees discovered. I still think of those days when I see a bumblebee or one of the faux bumblebees, which I now suspect may have been the actual species we were shooting.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:25 am 

I had to use a pellet gun pumped up good, because a BB gun wasn't powerful enough for the golf ball sized yellow and black furry jacket bumble bees at the place I built in the White Mountain area in AZ. Mothy would befriend them until they stung him multiple times, and he fell on a red ant hill that attacked in the many thousands, also stinging. Then he would run insanely to the creek, where hundreds of crawdads would finish him off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:13 pm 

I remember years ago I lived in a cheap damp bedsit. One night I got up and saw these silver fish crawling amongst the floor. Yip my ethics went out the window and I killed them. Sometimes fear and shock overpowers ones beliefs. I went back to bed and felt uneasy. Jumping out of bed and putting the light on there was loads of them, one was on my pillow. I flattened the lot of them and and soon discovered where the nest was. I poured fairy liquid down where they came from and soon the queen appeared. I flattened her. End of infestation.

We are all full of contradictions and hypocrisies. Purity only exists in the Christ.

I would like to add even 20 years on I do regret that act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKgJVe0CJ08

I'm on medication so I see these animals with an intense guilt. Probably a guilt as such it counter attacks the benefits it is supposed to be helping me with.

When deep compassion crosses the line of red mist there are those who have been jailed in their quest for a better life for our 'lesser' beings.

http://www.alfsg.org.uk/current_prisoners.html

Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as Gods, they have never forgotten this.

Gaia as a living organism may see us as I saw the silver fish on that fateful night.

Even at your most foolish a dog will imitate you in its quest for your affection.
Mothy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:28 am 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:17 am 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:04 pm 

I think the Christs advice on where to fish meant where best to send his disciples to preach Gods word.

Regret is something you reflect on and then with a conscience try to atone for it with a positive reaction.

I don't see happiness as a natural state. The baby comes out of the womb screaming. Even before we were slaves to the system when women were real mothers and men were hunter/gatherers, fear/sadness,anger,envy,jealousy etc kept happiness from being experienced on many an occasion.

Can a conscience become so heavy it becomes a demon to that person and the flip side that a person without a conscience becomes a demon?

Sometimes I pity yet sometimes envy the pyschopath/ sociopath

Much of what I write on here is spontaneity of thought. I like to see intelligent minds dissecting and even ridiculing 'my' thoughts. I find it very interesting and humerous.

It seems to me this political correctness nonsense has not only inhibited free speech but also diminished the freedom our sense of humour needs to laugh at certain situations/ minorities.

I have had plenty of humour pointed at me at being a vegan,( the last time I looked at the dietary habits of the human race I was in the minority) what did I do? I laughed and took it with a pinch of salt because that is what it is humour. Laughter is the best medicine and its being slowly bottled up with unscrewable tops.

Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar. Once a child has been taught not to respect the very small as his/her mind becomes bigger so might that which he/she will want to kill.
Mothy.

Is this a politically incorrect joke?

Whats pink and hangs out your grandpas underpants?

Your grandma.