Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:51 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
To save time posting the various position papers and Anderegg, Prall, Harold, and Schneider, 2010,

I note the links in opposition to Oreskes, 2004 rather than papers and I also note the link indicates a number of articles and then tries to refute that number it already listed.

In addition, we have this nice quote from Spencer Weart, one of the co-authors of the paper.

Quote:
"I have to admit that this paper should not have been published in the present form." - Spencer Weart

Co-author of what paper? It seems to reference Anderegg, Prall, Harold, and Schneider's work, but I do not see Weart listed so it must not be the case.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:46 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:

Pssst .... you do know there are "actual scientists" who contribute to skeptical science too, right? Not on the payroll of a pro-industry publication either, which some would consider being biased given the history of the industry offering to pay authors for skeptical publications in the past.

Yes, there are a couple of scientists that also contribute to Skeptical Science besides John Cook, but only one has proper credentials for climate science, and that is Mr. Nuccitelli who has a M.Sc in Astrophysics.

Looks like we have John Cook, who is a cartoonist, has studied physics, and is an author. No science degree.

We have Dana Nuccitelli who is an actual scientist, and has a M.Sc in astrophysics.

Robert Painting is an enviromentalist and a police officer. No science degree.

Doug Mackie looks like he is a Ph.D Student. No current science degree.

James Wight, a science student. No current degree in Science.

Daniel Bailey studied Earth Science. No science degree.

Robert Way is a Master's Student. No current science degree.

Andy Skuce has a degree in geophysics. It's funny, the description of Andy Skuce says...

Quote:
He has worked for the British Geological Survey and several oil companies in Canada and around the world.
[/quote]

So a CAGW Advocate works for an oil company! Maybe this will halt the conspiracy that skeptics are funded by big oil.

Greg Tamblyn is an engineer. No science degree.

Riccardo has a Ph.D in experimental materials.

Anne-Marie Blackburn has a B.S. in Biology.

Ari Jokimäki is a computer scientist.

Neal J. King studied physics. No Science Degree.

Barbel Winkler is a translator. No Science Degree.

Höskuldur Búi Jónsson is a geologist.
---------------

Lubos Motl has a Ph.D in Physics, and I think he did a good job refuting John Cook's points.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:45 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Co-author of what paper? It seems to reference Anderegg, Prall, Harold, and Schneider's work, but I do not see Weart listed so it must not be the case.

Ah, I am wrong once again. Spencer Weart is a separate physicist not associated with the peer reviewed paper. I must not be getting enough sleep! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Pssst .... you do know there are "actual scientists" who contribute to skeptical science too, right? Not on the payroll of a pro-industry publication either, which some would consider being biased given the history of the industry offering to pay authors for skeptical publications in the past.

Yes, there are a couple of scientists that also contribute to Skeptical Science besides John Cook, but only one has proper credentials for climate science, and that is Mr. Nuccitelli who has a M.Sc in Astrophysics.

Looks like we have John Cook, who is a cartoonist, has studied physics, and is an author. No science degree.

We have Dana Nuccitelli who is an actual scientist, and has a M.Sc in astrophysics.

Robert Painting is an enviromentalist and a police officer. No science degree.

Doug Mackie looks like he is a Ph.D Student. No current science degree.

James Wight, a science student. No current degree in Science.

Daniel Bailey studied Earth Science. No science degree.

Robert Way is a Master's Student. No current science degree.

Andy Skuce has a degree in geophysics. It's funny, the description of Andy Skuce says...

Quote:
He has worked for the British Geological Survey and several oil companies in Canada and around the world.

So a CAGW Advocate works for an oil company! Maybe this will halt the conspiracy that skeptics are funded by big oil.

Greg Tamblyn is an engineer. No science degree.

Riccardo has a Ph.D in experimental materials.

Anne-Marie Blackburn has a B.S. in Biology.

Ari Jokimäki is a computer scientist.

Neal J. King studied physics. No Science Degree.

Barbel Winkler is a translator. No Science Degree.

Höskuldur Búi Jónsson is a geologist.
---------------

Lubos Motl has a Ph.D in Physics, and I think he did a good job refuting John Cook's points.

A PhD in Physics?

Riccardo
Graduated in physics, I got my PhD at the University of Catania (Italy). As an experimental material scientist I spend my working hours mainly in a lab torturing some material and trying to convince it to behave as I wish.

How about a BS in Geosciences?

Steve Brown
Steve graduated with a BSc.(Hons) in Geosciences from the Open University in the UK. In addition to working full time as an IT Security and Infrastructure Manager, Steve is studying part time for a Masters degree in Earth Science

As for Höskuldur Búi Jónsson, a geologist is an earth scientist by definition. A BS in biology is also a science degree, in case you were wondering. I find it odd that you rant about the Oregon petition and their loose definition of a scientist and then turn around and call people with science degrees non-scientists when you disagree with their views. It smacks of a hypocritical position when you look at it closely.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:17 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Ah, I am wrong once again. Spencer Weart is a separate physicist not associated with the peer reviewed paper. I must not be getting enough sleep! :lol:

I wondered why you referenced a physicist who changed his field to history after only three years. I would not expect him to be that current in physics work even with the association in historical physics.

http://www.aip.org/history/historymatters/weart.htm

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:36 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:

Riccardo
Graduated in physics, I got my PhD at the University of Catania (Italy). As an experimental material scientist I spend my working hours mainly in a lab torturing some material and trying to convince it to behave as I wish.

Steve Brown
Steve graduated with a BSc.(Hons) in Geosciences from the Open University in the UK. In addition to working full time as an IT Security and Infrastructure Manager, Steve is studying part time for a Masters degree in Earth Science

As for Höskuldur Búi Jónsson, a geologist is an earth scientist by definition. A BS in biology is also a science degree, in case you were wondering.[/quote]

Riccardo appears to have a Ph.D in the physics of materials. Maybe he can tell me how much infared light a shirt radiates. j/k :lol:

Steve Brown is not mentioned in the Skeptical Science Team link that I am looking at. Perhaps you could provide a link to what you are quoting?

Here is the link I am looking at:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Introdu ... -team.html

And yes, a geologist is by definition is an earth scientist, since they study the Earth, and the many different types of materials found on Earth, but that in no way makes them a climate scientist. Nor does someone who has a B.Sc in Biology.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Riccardo

Steve Brown

As for Höskuldur Búi Jónsson, a geologist is an earth scientist by definition. A BS in biology is also a science degree, in case you were wondering.

Riccardo appears to have a Ph.D in the physics of materials. Maybe he can tell me how much infared light a shirt radiates. j/k :lol:

Steve Brown is not mentioned in the Skeptical Science Team link that I am looking at. Perhaps you could provide a link to what you are quoting?

Here is the link I am looking at:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Introdu ... -team.html

http://www.skepticalscience.com/team.php

Quote:
And yes, a geologist is by definition is an earth scientist, since they study the Earth, and the many different types of materials found on Earth, but that in no way makes them a climate scientist. Nor does someone who has a B.Sc in Biology.

You did not require a climate scientist when you were going on about the "actual scientist" debunking the points listed. Can you point to where your "debunking" comes from a climate scientist if we are to have a new standard introduced?

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:15 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
You did not require a climate scientist when you were going on about the "actual scientist" debunking the points listed. Can you point to where your "debunking" comes from a climate scientist if we are to have a new standard introduced?

Most of the rebuttals are written by John Cook, who is not a scientist, so this point is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Snowy123 wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Most of the rebuttals are written by John Cook, who is not a scientist, so this point is irrelevant.

Can you provide some evidence to support this belief?

http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Many thanks to Dr. Jan Dash, Director of the UU-UNO's Climate Portal for writing many of the one line responses in 'What the Science Says', with some edits by John Cook.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Rebutti ... -line.html

I've changed most of the rebuttals to skeptic arguments to Jan's one-liners. But if you're going to complain about any particular wording, I still take final responsibility for all the content - sometimes I changed his wording and often made the one-liners even shorter than Jan's version.

Now we see the claims of a "real" scientist not writing the majority of the replies is not correct. Also, the "debunking" historian is offset by Dr. Dash's credentials, thus knocking the claim of "real" supposedly only being applied to your favored writer.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein