EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:05 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

animal-friendly wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm it takes 75 sq in for a chicken to be abel to stand up straight according to the link. I doubt if that a 1" X 75" space would be any better than a 1" X 68" space in allowing a chicken to stand up straight, but that is just me looking at the math.

How marvelously efficient of you Wayne.
But .... Your math sucks!

animal-friendly wrote:
Quote:
There is no error in my math and it is the specific amount the link stated necessary. So, if there is something "sucking" it is in the initial presentation and not in my math.

I suspect there may be an error in the units of measure as area should not affect the ability to stand up straight.

Excuse me Wayne. There is actually nothing wrong with your math. I think i jumped to the conclusion that you were suggesting the caged chickens should have even less room than is presently allotted them.

No problem, I would not oppose any reasonable increase in the alloted space for such animals. As I was pointing out the use of square inches should not have a significant impact in the ability of a chicken to stand up straight unless it does create a chicken waffle.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
As I was pointing out the use of square inches should not have a significant impact in the ability of a chicken to stand up straight unless it does create a chicken waffle.

How hot does a waffle iron get anyway? If it heats like my George Foreman grill, there's no reason why I couldn't "waffle" some chicken on it.

Speaking of which, I marinated some chicken the other day with lemon pepper, italian seasoning, and rosemary. I used both thin cut boneless breasts and boneless thigh filets. Cooked both on the George for 5 minutes at 300F. Care to guess which one tasted phenominally better?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Fosgate wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
As I was pointing out the use of square inches should not have a significant impact in the ability of a chicken to stand up straight unless it does create a chicken waffle.

How hot does a waffle iron get anyway? If it heats like my George Foreman grill, there's no reason why I couldn't "waffle" some chicken on it.

Speaking of which, I marinated some chicken the other day with lemon pepper, italian seasoning, and rosemary. I used both thin cut boneless breasts and boneless thigh filets. Cooked both on the George for 5 minutes at 300F. Care to guess which one tasted phenominally better?

Although I really like the thigh, I would suspect the breast as, in my experience, they seem to capture more flavor from spices for whatever reason.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 pm 

It isn't 1" x 75", but more like 5" x 15". Still, factory farming is from the over-needs of overpopulation of humans. For all people to eat free range chickens and eggs requires the population to be reduced to one billion from over 7.
Somewhere around mid-century will come a point, before in some areas, later in others, where not eating or having good water will kill large portions of humanity. Along with people killing people for their food or to actually eat them. The cruelty of now is small in comparison to the heights it will reach then. All from overpopulation, stupidity, and greed.
First, world depression where an egg costs a dollar if you can find one to buy.
But, until then, "let's party like it's 1999!" The party is almost over. [-X :shock: #-o :-&

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Johhny Electriglide wrote:
It isn't 1" x 75", but more like 5" x 15".

I know, but the presented information was only in square inches and gave no minimum for any portion of the measurement.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 pm 

Fosgate wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
knightofalbion wrote:

Hmmm it takes 75 sq in for a chicken to be abel to stand up straight according to the link. I doubt if that a 1" X 75" space would be any better than a 1" X 68" space in allowing a chicken to stand up straight, but that is just me looking at the math.

I've heard of chicken and waffles, but never chicken waffles. :lol:

In order to effectively address concerns, useful information must be presented. Technically, no amount of square inches makes for sufficient living space.

You see this world through Fosgates eyes but they are trillions of worlds you could have seen this world through. Enjoy your eggs philistine. I wish I was as smug and complacent as you. One bad bullet coming your way you will be screaming to your mammy softboy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:57 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

mothy wrote:

You see this world through Fosgates eyes but they are trillions of worlds you could have seen this world through.

Nope, I am using my own eyes and no others.

Quote:
Enjoy your eggs philistine.

I often do, but mostly on weekends as I generally eat something I can prepare faster during the week.

Quote:
I wish I was as smug and complacent as you.

I can show you the path, grasshopper.

Quote:
One bad bullet coming your way you will be screaming to your mammy softboy

Anything is possible, but I have an unusually high tolerance for pain so it is not very likely. The last time I was shot it stung really badly, but not quite as badly as the chest tube they put in later.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:35 pm 

Using your own eyes and nobodies elses. I have a vision of Hannibal lekter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:14 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

MMMMMMMMM sauteed brains Clarice.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:22 pm 

Mmmmmmmm, eggs! One a day and two on Sundays!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:09 am 

Quote:
Still, factory farming is from the over-needs of overpopulation of humans. For all people to eat free range chickens and eggs requires the population to be reduced to one billion from over 7.

Yes, we are definitely over-populated. Especiallly within the systems we have in place and in which we live. I have heard some talk about hunting as the answer to factory farming, ... but obviously with our present numbers, this is not a solution. Even with 7 billion human companions, we'd be quite lonely without our animal companions. I could not imagine a world without other species and I don't have to as we would cease to exist if they did. And yet factory farming is not necesarily a need, even with all 7 billion of us. I cannot find a justification for it, no matter how "rational", because I have noticed that rationality is really an intellectual trick of "justifying" actions that are convenient or preferred. In the case of factory farming, it is not mouths that need to be fed, but appetites.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 am 

http://www.eggindustry.com

Quote:

I've heard of chicken and waffles, but never chicken waffles. :lol: [/quote]

Quote:
In order to effectively address concerns, useful information must be presented. Technically, no amount of square inches makes for sufficient living space.

Quote:
You see this world through Fosgates eyes but they are trillions of worlds you could have seen this world through. Enjoy your eggs philistine. I wish I was as smug and complacent as you. One bad bullet coming your way you will be screaming to your mammy softboy.

Oh now Mothy ..... Why are you so upset? Was it the humour? Sometimes humour is beautifully and lovingly divine and sometimes it is misplaced and maybe somewhat inappropriate considering ..... I think in this case it was an avoidance. Humour is an almost "inarguable" way of subverting and avoiding a direct experience of pain. Nobody likes to suffer and so we make jokes about waffles and then we cover the obvious with facts about measurements. The measurements are undeniable. Chickens truly DO have enough space to stand up!

Don't you worry your little head about wing span or the ability to barely move in those cages. I mean, chickens are stupid anyway. Haven't you heard what little bird brains they have? Why are you so concerned? Nobody else is.

But then I suppose we could shorten their cages to stunt their height and then maybe be wouldn't have to buy any particular kind of grill to "waffle" them. Those darn kitchen-gadgets will eventually end up in the land fills anyway, so why not make their cages shorter and reduce waste? Kernal Sanders would be delighted!

It's humour Mothy. Lighten up! Can't you take a joke? Have you not learned how to get along inspite of the clear evidence of torture? It's all in the math. Be rational you nutball poet!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:46 am 

animal-friendly wrote:
It's humour Mothy. Lighten up! Can't you take a joke? Have you not learned how to get along inspite of the clear evidence of torture? It's all in the math. Be rational you nutball poet!

Evidently, whatever tortue is endured isn't detracting from an ability to survive the environment in question. Hell, they thrive even. It's mutualism in every sense of the word. If you have a problem with that due to some particular stressor something has to face in order to get where its biology successfully leads it, then you don't have the best interest of the species at heart. They have adapted, and adapted incredibly well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:33 am 

animal-friendly wrote:
http://www.eggindustry.com

Quote:

I've heard of chicken and waffles, but never chicken waffles. :lol:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh now Mothy ..... Why are you so upset? Was it the humour? Sometimes humour is beautifully and lovingly divine and sometimes it is misplaced and maybe somewhat inappropriate considering ..... I think in this case it was an avoidance. Humour is an almost "inarguable" way of subverting and avoiding a direct experience of pain. Nobody likes to suffer and so we make jokes about waffles and then we cover the obvious with facts about measurements. The measurements are undeniable. Chickens truly DO have enough space to stand up!

Don't you worry your little head about wing span or the ability to barely move in those cages. I mean, chickens are stupid anyway. Haven't you heard what little bird brains they have? Why are you so concerned? Nobody else is.

But then I suppose we could shorten their cages to stunt their height and then maybe be wouldn't have to buy any particular kind of grill to "waffle" them. Those darn kitchen-gadgets will eventually end up in the land fills anyway, so why not make their cages shorter and reduce waste? Kernal Sanders would be delighted!

It's humour Mothy. Lighten up! Can't you take a joke? Have you not learned how to get along inspite of the clear evidence of torture? It's all in the math. Be rational you nutball poet![/quote]

Lighten up? I injected my own brand of humour in reply to the response I got and you didn't get it obvously. Birds brains maybe tiny but strip away the brains intellectual capacity and leave the raw and fundamental perception of reality that is called consciousness that leads to the philosophical question how do we know we are that different from another species?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:40 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

mothy wrote:

Actually, from my experience raising them they are not very bright, but they are smarter than the domestic turkey breeds.

Quote:
But then I suppose we could shorten their cages to stunt their height and then maybe be wouldn't have to buy any particular kind of grill to "waffle" them.

Since there has been no reference of how high the cages are, there may be a lot of room to lower them. The reference in the link was only to area, which does not address height at all.

Quote:
Those darn kitchen-gadgets will eventually end up in the land fills anyway, so why not make their cages shorter and reduce waste? Kernal Sanders would be delighted!

That's COLONEL Sanders, Y'all ..... you cannot disrepect an honorary Kentucky Colonel like that.

Quote:
Birds brains maybe tiny but strip away the brains intellectual capacity and leave the raw and fundamental perception of reality that is called consciousness that leads to the philosophical question how do we know we are that different from another species?

Because no other species can do what we do at this time.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next