[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - On suicide.

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: On suicide.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:25 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:16 am 

I logged on intending to continue the discussion with Wayne about GMO's .... and I would like to continue that discussion on a very limited time alowance which is short these days. But the time allottment is better spent here ....

Wow you guys .... what a heavy topic! I am blown away by the amount of suffering you've both experienced, both physical and emotional. But of course, physical suffering begets emotional suffering. I recently read a study that the brain does not differentiate because emotional suffering ends up registering as physical. I will of course find that study if you want it. A broken heart is registered in the same way as a broken arm or leg .....

Back to being blown away ..... I am!

I realize that I live in a bubble of sorts as I've never experienced much suffering in my life, not even a broken bone, ...not even child birth. I experienced dire poverty for about 4 months at one time which lead to some weight loss and stress/worry ..... and so I now empathize with the homeless and hungry and regularly contribute to food bank donations, etc. But only because I have become sensitized to the suffering of the homelless and hungry.

There is the archetype of the "wounded healer" ..... meaning that which is hurt .... heals. I have understood that people who have suffered gain an understanding of those who suffer. Waiters and waitresses tend to give larger tips, for example. (perhaps an insignificant example in light of much larger examples of suffering).

Mothy, although your question was originally addressed to Wayne ..... and although Siber has responded by relating an incredible story of suffering .... a rare story which most of us have probably not experienced ... and while Wayne has responded with his own incredible story of suffering. Geez you guys! And Mothy, I'm sure you have your own story which is probably more psychological/emotional than it is the raw experience of physical and therefore emotional pain ... And yet you seem to suffer the most .... maybe.

I would still like to add that suicide is both noble and realistic as well as tragic and avoidable. But the idea of morality is just an idea. We made it up. There is not an overseer who judges such mattters. There is, in my mind, a sanctity in life which is up to us to discover and that sanctity is boundless and infinite and will probably not be found in any religion.

And I feel as if I have crashed a topic. I have no "real" experience of suffering. Yet, I wonder how I can empathize with the cruelty hoisted upon animals and the poeple of Iraq and soon to be Iran ..... as well as the Palestinians and the Americans ...... in privatized prisons, etc., without ever having broken a bone?

Somehow the healer has been wounded anyway ..... While still totally amazed by these stories of suffering. I have a renewed sense of empathy and I may just speak more softly from now on ....

We need to look after each other and we need to elect governments who take this into account ...... if we need to elect governments at all and I guess we do at our present level of understanding/evolution.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:36 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:56 am 

"The last time I saw him he was still walking around with what amounted to half a roll of toilet paper stuck in his mouth to kep him from drooling all over his shirt. He could no longer talk but communicated by writing on a pad. He understood what harrm he did to his family and friends and still only screwed up his life more. He said that he regreted what he had done and would never think that was an answer ever again even though he had more pain and suffering than before."

I appreciate your point here and yet, suicide is a cultural reality as well ---- sometimes even sanctioned and applauded as in the Japanese suicide fighters ---- the kamakazi of WW2. Then we have the Muslim jihadists and we also have the American youth who we know may not come back alive. That last example is not pure suicide but is akin. I cannot imagine being a parent and allowing a child to enlist.

Suicide is not normally encouraged and is even actively discouraged except when ideology is concerned .... and spreading democracy is an example of that. We are taught to send our young out. We have the propoganda even in schools. So shameful really. It's like having McDonalds menu advertised in hospitals. Selling war to chldren is like selling a Big Mac to a heart patient.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:47 am 

Thanks for your input and viewpoint animal-friendly.....read them carefully Wayne ;-)

I'm doing well, yes, I still have pain almost every day but, it is currently being handled with narcotics, that I am trying to wean off of but.....I still find joy in every day and more importantly, I am able to find humor all over the place. In real life with the people, family, friends and co-workers, who I appreciate even more lately, and I find humor on the internet....thanks Wayne ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:52 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:24 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:55 pm 

Anxiety, depression, and panic attacks are not a sign of weakness. They are signs of having tried to remain strong for way too long.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:18 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:49 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:51 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:45 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next