[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - On suicide.

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: On suicide.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:12 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:06 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:51 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:55 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

An interesting paper on the history of suicide and the philosophy surrounding it that was usually behind a pay-to-view wall.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/suicide/

2.1 Ancient and Classical Views of Suicide

Philosophical discourse about suicide stretches back at least to the time of Plato. Still, prior to the Stoics at least, suicide tended to get sporadic rather than systematic attention from philosophers in the ancient Mediterranean world. As John Cooper has noted (Cooper 1989, 10), neither ancient Greek nor Latin had a single word that aptly translates our ‘suicide,’ even though most of the ancient city-states criminalized self-killing.

Plato explicitly discussed suicide in two works. First, in Phaedo, Socrates expresses guarded enthusiasm for the thesis, associated with the Pythagoreans, that suicide is always wrong because it represents our releasing ourselves (i.e., our souls) from a “guard-post” (i.e., our bodies) the gods have placed us in as a form of punishment (Phaedo 61b-62c). Later, in the Laws, Plato claimed that suicide is disgraceful and its perpetrators should be buried in unmarked graves. However, Plato recognized four exceptions to this principle: (1) when one's mind is morally corrupted and one's character can therefore not be salvaged (Laws IX 854a3–5), (2) when the self-killing is done by judicial order, as in the case of Socrates, (3) when the self-killing is compelled by extreme and unavoidable personal misfortune, and (4) when the self-killing results from shame at having participated in grossly unjust actions. (Laws IX 873c-d) Suicide under these circumstances can be excused, but, according to Plato, it is otherwise an act of cowardice or laziness undertaken by individuals too delicate to manage life's vicissitudes. Aristotle's only discussion of suicide (Nicomachean Ethics 1138a5–14) is a difficult and confusing passage in which he attempts to explain how suicide can be unjust and deserving of punishment if the individual who could be treated unjustly is the suicidal individual herself. He concludes that suicide is somehow a wrong to the state

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:09 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 am 

Last edited by SiberD on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:31 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 am 

BTW, I realize how I have gotten off topic here so this is my last post in this thread.....unless provoked of course [-X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 pm 

The wife's now on her second, extended bout with fentanyl and oxycodone for endometriosis-related pain. This time around, they just did a full hysterectomy to be sure. She's weaning off now, down from 50 microgram patches to 25's, soon to be 12.5's. I'll never forget her first go-round. Were up to 100's and on the verge of getting morphine pump. Fortunately, we were able to avoid it.

As far as suicide goes, we've endured countless ideations and a couple of full-blown attempts along the journey. Having to care for someone in that much pain is grueling. I couldn't imagine what it must have been like for her. I liken it to kidney stone pain, several of which I've had, only with constant symptoms, day in, day out. There are certain conditions under which I simply would not live. That's one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:57 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:16 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:12 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 pm 

But, getting back to suicide, I cannot fathom what my nephew, who found his Mom, has and is, going through.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:58 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next