EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:10 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

This is very interesting, and may refute some of the nonsense that is out there that refers to the psychological aspect of Global Warming Skepticism.

This was published in a prominent peer reviewed journal concerning psychiatry.

http://anp.sagepub.com/content/early/20 ... 1.abstract

Quote:
Abstract
Objective: To investigate whether climate change has impacted on the nature of the obsessions or compulsions experienced by patients with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Methods: The sample comprised 50 patients with OCD checking subtype who had presented at the Anxiety Disorders Clinic at The University of Sydney seeking treatment during the period March 2008 to November 2009. Details of the type of obsessions and compulsions directly related to climate change phenomena were identified.

Results: Fourteen of the 50 participants (28%) were identified as having OCD concerns directly related to climate change. The most frequent concerns involved electricity, water and gas wastage. Less frequent concerns included pets dying of thirst and one participant was concerned about house damage due to floors cracking, pipes leaking; roof problems and white ant activity. Compulsions included checking and rechecking pet water bowls, light switches, taps, stoves, skirting boards, pipes, roofs and wooden structures. While these behaviours are not particularly unusual for people with this condition, it was the rationale they provided for carrying them out that was surprising. Instead of checking and rechecking so as to prevent fire or flood, the rituals were specifically performed so as to reduce their global footprint, or respond to climate change-induced negative events.

Conclusions: Our findings demonstrate that the types of obsessions and compulsions experienced by 28% of our sample were directly aligned with the current issue of climate change and the perceived dangers associated with this phenomenon. To our knowledge this represents the first documentation of the significant impact of climate change on the nature of the concerns experienced by people with OCD checking subtype. We suggest that mental health professionals need to be aware of, and assess for the presence of such concerns.

I am skeptical, but it is definitely interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:52 pm 
New User
New User

What does AWG stand for? Ad Hoc Working Group?

So 28% of the 50 sampled have OCD relating to global warming changes. Do they know what causes global warming and do they believe in it?

"In My view, all that is necessary for faith is the belief that by doing our best we shall come nearer to success and that success in our aims (the improvement of the lot of mankind, present and future) is worth attaining."- ROSALIND FRANKLIN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:39 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

GoGreenCO wrote:
What does AWG stand for? Ad Hoc Working Group?

So 28% of the 50 sampled have OCD relating to global warming changes. Do they know what causes global warming and do they believe in it?

You have the acronym mixed up.

It's "AGW" not AWG. (AWG is the American Wire Gauge system used to calculate its capacity to carry electrical currents.)

AGW stands for Anthropogenic Global Warming, man made Global Warming. I don't like to call people who believe that most of Global Warming in the 20th Century is man made "warmists" or "alarmists" but I call them AGW Proponents.

The paper states here:

Quote:
Fourteen of the 50 participants (28%) were identified as having OCD concerns directly related to climate change. The most frequent concerns involved electricity, water and gas wastage. Less frequent concerns included pets dying of thirst and one participant was concerned about house damage due to floors cracking, pipes leaking; roof problems and white ant activity. Compulsions included checking and rechecking pet water bowls, light switches, taps, stoves, skirting boards, pipes, roofs and wooden structures. While these behaviours are not particularly unusual for people with this condition, it was the rationale they provided for carrying them out that was surprising. Instead of checking and rechecking so as to prevent fire or flood, the rituals were specifically performed so as to reduce their global footprint, or respond to climate change-induced negative events.

So it's pretty apparent that this study is addressing AGW Proponents as the 30% of the people surveyed that have Obsessive Compulsive Disorders. Otherwise they probably wouldn't be too concerned with reducing their Carbon Footprints.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

When does obsessive compulsive behavior become a disorder? I suppose I am a bit obsessive and compulsive about energy use and have been since I was 4 years old (yeah that's 4 decades). Is it a disorder or just being "slightly ahead of my time"?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:27 pm 

Ann Vole wrote:
When does obsessive compulsive behavior become a disorder? I suppose I am a bit obsessive and compulsive about energy use and have been since I was 4 years old (yeah that's 4 decades). Is it a disorder or just being "slightly ahead of my time"?

No, that would be being behind the curve. Nothing wrong with being ahead of it. I guess it boils down to in which circumstances your position is advantageous. If it works for you most of the time, I can't see it as being a "disorder".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:48 pm 

Fosgate wrote:
If it works for you most of the time, I can't see it as being a "disorder".
lol exactly! I guess another factor is the "compulsive" aspect... I can resist the urge to shut off lights and fix plumbing in public places for instance... the urge is there but easy to suppress.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:31 pm 

The results of a study of only 50 people are meaningless drivel. Now if it was a study of 50,000, it may have real meaning.
To me it is just the wasting of energy by the anti-AGW crowd, as they have done for 20 years. Anything to excuse their business as usual promoting behavior that is heading the biosphere past the tipping points of unstoppable catastrophic climate change from human pollution, from overpopulation and greed. =; ](*,) :razz: 8)