EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Test tube Meat.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:33 pm 
New User
New User

Currently it costs $ 330,000 but it will probably be much cheaper. It uses less resources than livestock and hopefully it will but Factory Farms out of business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqjW-MfzRNo

So, vegetarians, will you eat this?

"In My view, all that is necessary for faith is the belief that by doing our best we shall come nearer to success and that success in our aims (the improvement of the lot of mankind, present and future) is worth attaining."- ROSALIND FRANKLIN

Post subject: Re: Test tube Meat.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:14 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

If it costs $330,000.00 how is it using less resources since the cost of resources is a significant portion of the costs?

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:22 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
If it costs $330,000.00 how is it using less resources since the cost of resources is a significant portion of the costs?

But what does that figure mean?
It costs $330,000.
What does that mean? WHAT costs $330,000?

And will it cost anything to the streams and rivers as current meat production does? Will it fart in the same way as 30,000 cows would, all clustered together as they are? Will it have to be branded? Will it need antibiotics?

What will be the cost to the environment?

One clearly needs more information .....

I probably wouldn't eat it though, just as I steer away from veggie dogs and t-bone steaks alike. Yukkers!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:15 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

animal-friendly wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

But what does that figure mean?
It costs $330,000.
What does that mean? WHAT costs $330,000?

I assume a small quantity of the grown meat.

Quote:
And will it cost anything to the streams and rivers as current meat production does?

Cell growth is water dependent, so it would have a proportional impact on water supplies.

Quote:
Will it fart in the same way as 30,000 cows would, all clustered together as they are?

No, but it will be very energy dependent.

Quote:
Will it have to be branded?

I doubt it since it is contained at all times, but there may be genetic trackers added in production.

Quote:
Will it need antibiotics?

No, clean rooms would limit that need.

Quote:
What will be the cost to the environment?

A lot on the large scale production.

Quote:
One clearly needs more information .....

Yes, and the information on scalability is critical.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:02 pm 
New User
New User

Wayne Stollings wrote:

R&D

Quote:
Quote:
And will it cost anything to the streams and rivers as current meat production does?

Cell growth is water dependent, so it would have a proportional impact on water supplies.

I think he was referring to excrement going into the water supplies.

"In My view, all that is necessary for faith is the belief that by doing our best we shall come nearer to success and that success in our aims (the improvement of the lot of mankind, present and future) is worth attaining."- ROSALIND FRANKLIN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

GoGreenCO wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

R&D

Wouldn't the R&D costs be separate?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Probably, but the loss of water flow downstream could be even more expensive.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:40 pm 
New User
New User

Wayne Stollings wrote:
GoGreenCO wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

R&D

I'm guessing no, since the reason why medicine is so expensive is due to the experiments that they did over again. But I think technology probably had a play.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Probably, but the loss of water flow downstream could be even more expensive.

50% of our water supply currently gfoes to cattle. So it probably would reduce that too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:11 pm 

GoGreenCO wrote:

Well, it wouldn't be excreted at least. You still have to deal with cellular waste products, however, especially if we're talking large scale tissue cultures and bioreactors.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:13 pm 

GoGreenCO wrote:
50% of our water supply currently gfoes to cattle. So it probably would reduce that too.

Water isn't required to grow tissue in vitro? You are familiar with the science of cell biology, are you not?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:45 pm 

As a vegan I don't think I would participate knowing it has come from an animal source.

'to look into an animals eyes and see whether fear or intrepidity exists.To look deep enough is like looking at oneself'. Then one acknowledges we are living the same whole.

Mothy

Tastebuds create as much hurt and division as religion.

mothy.

I have this knack of creating friends over seven years and losing them in one sentence. =D>

To take a beast as a friend one ventures on moral ground that most are unfamiliar with.

Mothy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

GoGreenCO wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

I'm guessing no, since the reason why medicine is so expensive is due to the experiments that they did over again. But I think technology probably had a play.

I really doubt the logic behind these assumptions.

Quote:

I doubt that 50% of our water supply goes to cattle too.

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/wulv.html

During 2005, withdrawals were an estimated 2,140 Mgal/d, or 2,390 thousand acre-feet per year. (All 2005 water use information is from the report Estimated use of water in the United States in 2005.) Livestock withdrawals were less than 1 percent of total freshwater withdrawals and 1 percent of total freshwater withdrawals excluding thermoelectric power. Groundwater was the source for 60 percent of total livestock withdrawals. Estimated total livestock withdrawals for 2005 were 8 percent less than in 2000.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:06 pm 
New User
New User

Wayne Stollings wrote:
GoGreenCO wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Explain.

Quote:
Quote:

I doubt that 50% of our water supply goes to cattle too.

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/wulv.html

During 2005, withdrawals were an estimated 2,140 Mgal/d, or 2,390 thousand acre-feet per year. (All 2005 water use information is from the report Estimated use of water in the United States in 2005.) Livestock withdrawals were less than 1 percent of total freshwater withdrawals and 1 percent of total freshwater withdrawals excluding thermoelectric power. Groundwater was the source for 60 percent of total livestock withdrawals. Estimated total livestock withdrawals for 2005 were 8 percent less than in 2000.

I'll take your source for this. However, I think they aren't telling the whole picture, since irrigation, and water given to grain contribute.
mothy wrote:
As a vegan I don't think I would participate knowing it has come from an animal source.
y.

Everything came from an animal one way or another. Soil is created by the excrement of worms, and much of it is the decomposition of dead animals.

I guess you will never accept blood donations.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:04 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

GoGreenCO wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
GoGreenCO wrote:

Explain.

The assumption of the reason for high cost of medicine with nothing to support the premise and the recent history of less than accurate statements in similar a vein. Thus, I doubt the logic behind the conclusion.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:28 pm 
New User
New User

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=18892

Quote:
For instance, only one out of every ten thousand discovered compounds actually becomes an approved drug for sale. Much expense is incurred in the early phases of development of compounds that will not become approved drugs. In addition, it takes about 7 to 10 years and an average cost of 500 million dollars to develop each new drug. This money is spent before the FDA approves the drug, and if the drug is not approved, the company loses the money.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:41 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

GoGreenCO wrote:
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=18892

Quote:
For instance, only one out of every ten thousand discovered compounds actually becomes an approved drug for sale. Much expense is incurred in the early phases of development of compounds that will not become approved drugs. In addition, it takes about 7 to 10 years and an average cost of 500 million dollars to develop each new drug. This money is spent before the FDA approves the drug, and if the drug is not approved, the company loses the money.

This has no effect on medicine other than NEW drugs, which cost more than generic drugs for this reason.

According to this all prescription drugs account for 10% of all healthcare spending and that includes the high number of generic drugs which have had the investement repaid.

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2012/0 ... s.dropping

While prescription drug spending accounts for 10 percent of all health care spending in the United States, out-of-pocket costs for prescription medication make up a much larger percentage of individual health spending, particularly among low-income people with public insurance and those with chronic conditions such as diabetes.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein