[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - science or religion

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: science or religion
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:20 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Will science be mans ultimate friend or foe?
Will religion be likewise?

Or will they combine and reveal god?

The God that is depicted in the bible as all mans' emotions versus the science that will capture mans' emotions.

I believe in Spinozas God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.

Albert Einstein

A God that creates a zebra that is to be devoured by a lion makes me question the Gods judgement and action.

Richard Dawkins springs to mind. Read the blind watchmaker. A good read.

Post subject: Re: science or religion
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

He overlooked mass extinction, competition and natural selection. All that harmony is achieved as a result of many deaths and perpetual suffering.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:53 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:19 am 

Mothy = Simple Psychosis
:lol: :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol: :mrgreen: [-X =; O:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:32 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm 

If God is who He claims to be thean He created science and can not be a contradiction to it.

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:11 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 am 

I believe God created all the things that we perceive, including all the stars and planets, all the laws of science, including those which led to life and us, to love, beauty, and music. I don't believe in Lucifer, but do know that evil exists in the behavior of some people. Some people are deluded from reality by things that are not their fault or from ignorance. Some unfortunates lack the ability to be honest with themselves. Many act just like herd animals, and others like snakes, or vermin. The only thing in common with the many sorts in the human species is the ability of males and females to breed. Otherwise it is like a group of species in the same niche, with seemingly few who are not hell bent on destroying their own biosphere through over-breeding, stupidity, ignorance, and greed. :-& :-({|= #-o ](*,) :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:47 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

I am very non-religious, because I am a natural skeptic.

I look off of the evidence when I try and forumlate my own hypotheses.

That's why I want to persue an occupation in the field of atmospheric science, because it has been a long passion of mine since I was very young, and I look at the evidence to base my conclusions, which is what science is about.

Religion involves faith only, and that is what makes me an agnostic. There is no evidence that such a being "God" exists, so I can not conclusively say that there is a "God."

I find that a majority of people who are highly religious are often scientifically illiterate because they put faith in front of actual hard evidence.

Because I am a natural skeptic, I fall within trusting science more than I trust religion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:13 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:03 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:17 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/st ... 53396440/1

Scientists inch closer to 'God particle'

In the hunt for the Higgs boson, which is key to understanding why matter has mass, two teams of physicists using results from a now-closed American accelerator have come up with similar findings to those announced late last year by researchers at the more powerful Large Hadron Collider in Europe. While the scientists using the two accelerators have not found the elusive subatomic particle, they both have narrowed the area where it can be found, if it exists. And they know where it isn't.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:52 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:54 pm