EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:53 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
So now you know that offense can only be taken and not given .... right? 8)

Do you usually treat other adult like children?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:01 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

tommee wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Why? Did you think someone was treated like a child?

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
tommee wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

I think your arrogant and patronising manner is akin to the way teachers act with children, the bad teachers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:29 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Wayne Stollings wrote:
tommee wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

tommee wrote:
I think your arrogant and patronising manner is akin to the way teachers act with children, the bad teachers.

How does that work with your belief you were insulted because you took offense to something, but did not insult anyone else because you did not intend to offend .... really?

You saw that offense can only be taken, even if intended by the giver, and thus not determined by that giver. If you decide what is and is not offensive for everyone else it is not going to sit well with some of them for a long time. If the moderation allows them and you to be offended everyone may be upset with the offenders for a short period but will get over it quickly enough. It is all subjective in dealing with people and some will never be pleased no matter what is done. You and the other posters do not see the number of complaints about posts sent through the moderation functions that show just how much some are offended.
Some result in action and others do not.

Now that you understand that you are not the only one who has taken offense and not been publically repremanded for offense taken by others, are we moving forward or is there some other problem?

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:18 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:

tommee wrote:

How does that work with your belief you were insulted because you took offense to something, but did not insult anyone else because you did not intend to offend .... really?

You saw that offense can only be taken, even if intended by the giver, and thus not determined by that giver. If you decide what is and is not offensive for everyone else it is not going to sit well with some of them for a long time. If the moderation allows them and you to be offended everyone may be upset with the offenders for a short period but will get over it quickly enough. It is all subjective in dealing with people and some will never be pleased no matter what is done. You and the other posters do not see the number of complaints about posts sent through the moderation functions that show just how much some are offended.
Some result in action and others do not.

Now that you understand that you are not the only one who has taken offense and not been publically repremanded for offense taken by others, are we moving forward or is there some other problem?

What a joke you are Mr. ST

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:11 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

I love fruitcake. Life is like a fruitcake, dark, bittersweet and full of nuts. I also love the phrase, "Offense can never be given, only taken." I find I am able to raise small animals and enjoy it because if they bite me, I find it rather cute and am not offended (except maybe my pride in my ability to tame animals). I normally skip over this sort of banding about but I am glad I bothered with this one to score such a fun phrase.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:47 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Ann Vole wrote:
I love fruitcake. Life is like a fruitcake, dark, bittersweet and full of nuts. I also love the phrase, "Offense can never be given, only taken." I find I am able to raise small animals and enjoy it because if they bite me, I find it rather cute and am not offended (except maybe my pride in my ability to tame animals). I normally skip over this sort of banding about but I am glad I bothered with this one to score such a fun phrase.

I am glad to have been able to pass it on to you. I have found it helpful in putting things into perspective at times.

If one remembers that little wit of wisdom they can never be offended unless they choose to be. No matter how much someone may intend to offend you the only time you will be offended is when you take the offense. If you never take the offense you can never be offended.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:06 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Ann Vole wrote:

I am glad to have been able to pass it on to you. I have found it helpful in putting things into perspective at times.

If one remembers that little wit of wisdom they can never be offended unless they choose to be. No matter how much someone may intend to offend you the only time you will be offended is when you take the offense. If you never take the offense you can never be offended.

So that must give people the green light to be offensive towards others..?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:19 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

tommee wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Ann Vole wrote:

So that must give people the green light to be offensive towards others..?

If one assumes people want to try to be offensive to others .... maybe and maybe not.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein