EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:11 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

I am looking for two people to step forward as volunteers to become moderators on this Forum. As a moderator, you will be expected to remove postings that violate the rules here, get discussions back on-topic, and in general help keep this place healthy.

I am specifically looking for people who:

1) Are able to separate their personal opinions about issues from their judgments about what is appropriate content for this forum. While I am not a perfect moderator of this forum, I think most people believe that even though I am a lefty tree-hugging so-and-so, I do my best to not let my personal opinions affect my moderating. I would expect others to do the same... they will make mistakes, but overall will "do the right thing."

2) Are respected by their peers. This is important. I want to make sure that our moderators are people who are generally respected by people on all sides of the issues we debate here. While you may think that UserX's opinions about fur are bollocks, you do respect how they are able to debate and conduct themselves here.

3) Are active users of this forum. I expect moderators to continue debating, expressing their opinions, etc. and that they will have made and will continue to make significant contributions (of ideas, opinions, etc.) in the future. This has always been a sore point with people and can lead to abuse of power, etc, but I have faith that we can continue to make this work. I regularly express my opinions here and try hard not to delete a user solely because they disagree with me.

I am opening up this thread for people to nominate themselves or others for the role of Moderator. If you are nominated, I expect a healthy discussion (read: no ad-hominem attacks, slander, etc) that include personal opinions about the people being nominated. If you are nominated but do not want to be a moderator, please publicly post that and at that point, ALL conversation about that person ceases. I don't want this to turn into a nasty flame-fest, but I do want people to be able to express themselves.

If you do not feel comfortable publicly commenting about a nominee, you can send me a private message (via the PM buttons that now work) and express your opinion. I will post those opinions for you anonymously.

I am not going to put a time limit on this and there will not be voting. I'm hoping that there is a general consensus about certain people, but in the end I will make the call.

I look forward to this discussion and to having some help around here!

-josh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:50 pm 

josh knauer wrote:
While I am not a perfect moderator of this forum, I think most people believe that even though I am a lefty tree-hugging so-and-so, I do my best to not let my personal opinions affect my moderating.

That's the thing I like most about this site, and I would be willing to do that if it were to be asked of me.

I can think of a few good nominees as far as fairness goes, but I think the hard part will be finding someone who is on here often enough. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:54 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Satan seems middle of the road (has that ever been used in a sentance before?) and willing to do the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:42 pm 

Theila wrote:
Satan seems middle of the road (has that ever been used in a sentance before?) and willing to do the job.

Yeah, I think he'd be as good as any. He's always willing to point out the error on either side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:24 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

One aspect of the moderators posting that I would like to propose for whomever is chosen.

I believe a separate screen name should be created for the moderator so there can be a more open discussion by the moderators. I know I mentioned this to you years ago, Josh, but I think it is worthy of a repeat. The moderator being in a discussion must have a chilling effect on those that may hold differing opinions. Thus, if there is an "official" moderator screen name that carries the neutrality of the post but still allows the moderator to post their opinions under their own screen name. There will still be the knowledge of the identities but not the glaring "Moderator" title with each post.

That is my $.02 worth on that subject for whatever it is worth to you.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:51 pm 

Satan Jr. wrote:
One aspect of the moderators posting that I would like to propose for whomever is chosen.

I believe a separate screen name should be created for the moderator so there can be a more open discussion by the moderators. I know I mentioned this to you years ago, Josh, but I think it is worthy of a repeat. The moderator being in a discussion must have a chilling effect on those that may hold differing opinions. Thus, if there is an "official" moderator screen name that carries the neutrality of the post but still allows the moderator to post their opinions under their own screen name. There will still be the knowledge of the identities but not the glaring "Moderator" title with each post.

We have discussed this before, but I really think that it is a good idea for moderators to be considered a part of the community and interact with it directly. I don't think folks have held their punches with me because I run the place. If you have, I'd hate to see what you'd do to me if I wasn't hiding behind this thin veneer of authority! :shock:

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:11 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

josh knauer wrote:
Satan Jr. wrote:

We have discussed this before, but I really think that it is a good idea for moderators to be considered a part of the community and interact with it directly. I don't think folks have held their punches with me because I run the place. If you have, I'd hate to see what you'd do to me if I wasn't hiding behind this thin veneer of authority! :shock:

-josh

I agree the moderators need to be a part of the community but the office of a moderator also needs to be separate just to keep the appearance of carryover down. The knowledge of the identity of the moderator will be common, but it may make it easier for problems to be forgiven with such a set up.

I have always treated you with "kid gloves" :shock: :D :D

I don't know about the others, but despite our differences in views at times you have tried to be fair with everyone, IMO. That says a lot about your character, but it is not a common trait nor is it easy, I am sure. Of course the decision should be left to you and the moderators, but I felt it deserved to be mentioned.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:41 am 

I don't see the need to separate the moderator position from the person's regular handle. I can understand where you're coming from, but I've been on many forums and it's seldom like that. People usually treat moderators the same as others, especially here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:41 am 

I nominate , Phantomuk, Ned Ludd as well

This board, I believe, started out as an animal rights board

If I am selected, I will remove copyrighted articles
as this is a legal concern

I will actively recruit members from elsewhere..

and if it is technically possible, I will increase the number of forums..
with hunting posts in their own forum

sealclubbing is banned.
http://seashepherd.org/seals/seals.html
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=martha

Last edited by arc108 on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:51 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:41 am 
This user has been banned

Archer wrote:
Theila wrote:

Yeah, I think he'd be as good as any. He's always willing to point out the error on either side.

I would not take part in this forum if SJ was given moderation rights. Infact if he does become moderator Josh please delete my account.

I nominate ORC ARC or Nedd.

We also need to have a balance and SJ is anti Animal rights and I think will moderate ARAs too heavy. He also goads people on this part of the forum.

Last edited by phantomuk on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:42 am 

arc108 wrote:
I nominate myself..

I will if selected abide by Josh' decisions

I second that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:30 am 

Dear Phantomuk,

I edited my nomination to include
you, Sandra John, and Ned Ludd

sealclubbing is banned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:26 pm 

Donnie Mac Leod wrote:
Hi Dog Breath. Had a feed of Lobsters night before last. They were caught in Yarmouth Nova Scotia. Were they ever good with the Onion ,Potatoe , diced carrot & Pea Salade. I enjoy fish as much as meat and some fish like scallops salmon & lobsters even more. Pretty hard to beat a good venison dinner though. If God didn't want us to eat meat He would not have made it so tastey and given us an omnivore diet needing Vitamin B12 and other meat related food values.

This is the sort of comment I was talking about! Come on Josh is this animal concern and do you really think these sorts of comment have a place in the ar part of the forum? They are malicious posts.

Yes we nedd a moderator to sort these flame comments and the quicker these people are sorted out the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:36 pm 

Dear Josh,

Donnie Archer and Emuking and others seem to have no concern
for animals... they are attempting to bring this forum into
the arena of the NRA.. the less than 4% of the country which
are hunters control the govt. through their control of Congress
Courts and the Executive

(e.g. Scalia and Cheney hunting together in Louisiana)

since the vast majority of Americans are Christians..
if you want to recruit any of them, a moderator named Satan is not a good idea

It's not healthy for people, animals or the planet that people
are promoting animal slaughter on an Animal Concerns board IMHO

http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18356
In this link Donnie promotes the campaigns of Kentucky Fried Chicken
and other animal abusers funding the socalled Consumer Freedom

sealclubbing is banned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:55 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

I had PM'd a couple of people to determine if they were interested since I felt they should have a say before I spoke. The issue of time prevented one. The other has not responded, but she has already been nominated. I believe a balanced set from both sides has been mentioned and it sounds like a decent plan. I would support Sandra as one of the Moderators from the more pro-AR side.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein