EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20469
Location: Southeastern US
http://thegoodnewsclub.com/articles/201 ... olchildren


The Bible has thousands of passages that may serve as the basis for instruction and inspiration. Not all of them are appropriate in all circumstances.

The story of Saul and the Amalekites is a case in point. It’s not a pretty story, and it is often used by people who don’t intend to do pretty things. In the book of 1 Samuel (15:3), God said to Saul:

“Now go, attack the Amalekites, and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.”

Saul dutifully exterminated the women, the children, the babies and all of the men – but then he spared the king. He also saved some of the tastier looking calves and lambs. God was furious with him for his failure to finish the job.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:04 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
Your two breasts are like two young does, twins that pasture among the lilies.

How beautiful are your breasts, my sister, my spouse! Your breasts are more beautiful than wine, and the fragrance of your ointments is above all aromatic oils.


Just a couple of verses from Song of Songs.

No, not all are appropriate in all circumstances, nor were they meant to be.

Now, if we're going to teach about the Bible, it wouldn't be fair to ignore context. In 1 Samuel, God commands Saul to do something and he doesn't do it. We can get hung up on the example if we want and yes, maybe it's a poor one. When we do this and ignore the moral to the story--complying with authority--we totally miss the point.

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:42 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:43 am
Posts: 151
I am for the UK so it's a lot strange and scary to have this kind of thing in primary schools.

How have the God squad got this sort of club to be compulsory in primary schools?

Who is forced to run it? Is it run by some sort of external visitor?

America does seem from the outside to be off on a religious fundimentalist drive at the time when the idea of religion is seen mostly as silly in the rest of the world, or at least the educated world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:34 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:14 am
Posts: 85
Wayne Stollings wrote:
http://thegoodnewsclub.com/articles/2012/06/how_christian_fundamentalists_plan_to_teach_genocide_to_schoolchildren


The Bible has thousands of passages that may serve as the basis for instruction and inspiration. Not all of them are appropriate in all circumstances.

The story of Saul and the Amalekites is a case in point. It’s not a pretty story, and it is often used by people who don’t intend to do pretty things. In the book of 1 Samuel (15:3), God said to Saul:

“Now go, attack the Amalekites, and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.”

Saul dutifully exterminated the women, the children, the babies and all of the men – but then he spared the king. He also saved some of the tastier looking calves and lambs. God was furious with him for his failure to finish the job.

Yes. lots of contradictions in that book.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:05 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
Besoeker wrote:
Yes. lots of contradictions in that book.


Try reading between them, preferably from front to back, and it'll make more sense. Teaching genocide. Really? I don't think anyone could possibly be that dense.

If you're still not convinced, perhaps we should just amend it with yet a 3rd testament.

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:30 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20469
Location: Southeastern US
Tim the Plumber wrote:
I am for the UK so it's a lot strange and scary to have this kind of thing in primary schools.

How have the God squad got this sort of club to be compulsory in primary schools?


It is not compulsory, which is how they can get it into the school, but the peer pressure approach is sufficient to get a number of members.

Quote:
Who is forced to run it? Is it run by some sort of external visitor?


Purely external.

Quote:
America does seem from the outside to be off on a religious fundimentalist drive at the time when the idea of religion is seen mostly as silly in the rest of the world, or at least the educated world.


Yes, we oppose a theocracy in the Middle East by trying to create one here. Such a wonderful bunch of fools we have at times.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:32 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20469
Location: Southeastern US
Besoeker wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
http://thegoodnewsclub.com/articles/2012/06/how_christian_fundamentalists_plan_to_teach_genocide_to_schoolchildren


The Bible has thousands of passages that may serve as the basis for instruction and inspiration. Not all of them are appropriate in all circumstances.

The story of Saul and the Amalekites is a case in point. It’s not a pretty story, and it is often used by people who don’t intend to do pretty things. In the book of 1 Samuel (15:3), God said to Saul:

“Now go, attack the Amalekites, and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.”

Saul dutifully exterminated the women, the children, the babies and all of the men – but then he spared the king. He also saved some of the tastier looking calves and lambs. God was furious with him for his failure to finish the job.

Yes. lots of contradictions in that book.



Just think of how many were not included in the "word of God" as devined by the religions of the time.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:13 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1326
Now, if we're going to teach about the Bible, it wouldn't be fair to ignore context. In 1 Samuel, God commands Saul to do something and he doesn't do it. We can get hung up on the example if we want and yes, maybe it's a poor one. When we do this and ignore the moral to the story--complying with authority--we totally miss the point.[/quote]


Quote:
When we do this and ignore the moral to the story--complying with authority--we totally miss the point


The point is complying with authority? That's a moral? How did that ever get to be a moral?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:17 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
animal-friendly wrote:
The point is complying with authority?


If it's murder and genocide, I'd say we're focusing on the wrong group.

Quote:
That's a moral?


Generally speaking, yes, unless you consider yourself the ultimate authority on everything.

Quote:
How did that ever get to be a moral?


Probably about the time folks realized that compliance was good for them...or at least reduced the risk of bad things happening.

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group