EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:01 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
But even if every woman on earth stopped having children from this day forward, there would still not be a 3 or 2 or 4 percent annual reduction in population.


In 0-9 months, the last of the babies would be born, yes. After that, the rate of death wouldn't exceed 4%?

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:33 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20354
Location: Southeastern US
Or go to hyrogen storage cells. They can be filled with solar power during the day when there is a greater abundance of energy production and used for transportation. The cells would be similar to standard fuel storage tanks except they were for low pressure gas.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:44 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2147
Location: Central Colorado
Fosgate wrote:
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
But even if every woman on earth stopped having children from this day forward, there would still not be a 3 or 2 or 4 percent annual reduction in population.


In 0-9 months, the last of the babies would be born, yes. After that, the rate of death wouldn't exceed 4%?

In "Babbling Green" I read that there are roughly 130 million births per year and 50 million deaths. So that is roughly .7%.
Of course, in a famine the death rate goes way up, and people call it the coming age of famine, and world depression much worse than the 1930s.
Then, really the most evil org is Obama and the admin;
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/node/14582
More overpopulation=more pollution and depletion=more poverty

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”
― Chief Seattle


Last edited by Johhny Electriglide on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:03 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 67
Fosgate wrote:
warmair wrote:
It should be possible to have lanes on the free ways dedicated to recharging the vehicles as they travel in them. In other words refuelling on the go.


You know those tanks folks use in their gas grills? When they use them up, they simply return the empty tank and exchange it for a full one. We employ a similar principle in manufacturing with electrically powered industrial vehicles--forklifts, tuggers, etc. Like a store of readily available, full gas tanks, we keep a bank of charged/charging batteries. The batteries are interchangeable with several vehicle types. Larger ones use two or more at a time. There is no vehicle downtime waiting for batteries to charge, only swapping them out, like filling a gas tank.

Have one, perhaps a few universal battery sizes and it sounds like a practical solution for cars and trucks to me.


I am aware of that but batteries still pose a number of problems. First of all is range you may not necessarily be close to change over station when the power runs low. You will probably have to stop more frequently than with a conventional vehicle to refuel. Even lithium batteries add a fair amount of weight to the vehicle, this idea would allow the use of lower capacity batteries and therefore mean less weight to move about. With my suggestion you do not have to have any down time for the vehicle or batteries while it is recharging nor do we need to waste space and time, on numerous change over battery stations.
The biggest advantage would be for commuters in big cities and no it does not solve all the problems with eclectic vehicles but I think it might well have a fair bit going for it.
I guess the implementation would be fairly straight forward basically the vehicle becomes one half of a transformer with the other half buried in the road. There are electronic tag systems for toll roads and various types of smart meters available so I don't think the payment system would be a problem.

_________________
Pollution is not the solution


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:08 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
warmair wrote:
I guess the implementation would be fairly straight forward basically the vehicle becomes one half of a transformer with the other half buried in the road. There are electronic tag systems for toll roads and various types of smart meters available so I don't think the payment system would be a problem.


I agree. It's a cool idea.

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:27 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 67
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Fosgate wrote:
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
But even if every woman on earth stopped having children from this day forward, there would still not be a 3 or 2 or 4 percent annual reduction in population.


In 0-9 months, the last of the babies would be born, yes. After that, the rate of death wouldn't exceed 4%?

In "Babbling Green" I read that there are roughly 130 million births per year and 50 million deaths. So that is roughly .7%.
Of course, in a famine the death rate goes way up, and people call it the coming age of famine, and world depression much worse than the 1930s.


Minor problem here and that is that as we age the death rate increases eventually reaching a hundred percent. So no babies means after 120 years no more people. In fact no babies would mean guaranteed extinction for humans after about 50 years.

_________________
Pollution is not the solution


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:48 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:27 am
Posts: 5776
Location: USA
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Fosgate wrote:
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
But even if every woman on earth stopped having children from this day forward, there would still not be a 3 or 2 or 4 percent annual reduction in population.


In 0-9 months, the last of the babies would be born, yes. After that, the rate of death wouldn't exceed 4%?

In "Babbling Green" I read that there are roughly 130 million births per year and 50 million deaths. So that is roughly .7%.
Of course, in a famine the death rate goes way up, and people call it the coming age of famine, and world depression much worse than the 1930s.


warmair wrote:
Minor problem here and that is that as we age the death rate increases eventually reaching a hundred percent.


Of course it's 100% in the end. However, the rate as we get there fluctuates based on whatever the population's age distribution is after the last baby is born. For example, a population that is 90% in their 60's or greater would start dying sooner at a much faster rate than one that was 90% in their 30's.

_________________
TANG SOO!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group