Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why have beliefs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:21 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

animal-friendly wrote:
No, I realize that religion is a form of belief, but I am also questioning belief at all.
A simple inquiry. Why have belief?

It is certainly our "habit" to believe and I suppose that after awhile, habit becomes nature.

So what do you believe?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:41 pm 

Fosgate wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:
No, I realize that religion is a form of belief, but I am also questioning belief at all.
A simple inquiry. Why have belief?

It is certainly our "habit" to believe and I suppose that after awhile, habit becomes nature.

So what do you believe?

I'm not sure that I believe in anything, although I can't be sure. Beliefs come and go and for me, they are not static things. But what has remained consistent for quite a few years now, is the constant questioning of beliefs, including the belief that we must have beliefs.

Beliefs crowd out the mystery, the not-knowing. Nobody really knows although some science, especially quantum physics, seems to be grasping it. But even quantum scientists are awed at the inexplicability of what they are coming up with.

The best we can do, as story tellers and story makers, is to tell stories. This is what mythology does and it is why Joseph Campbell really hit it when he said,

Quote:
"Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble".

And....
Quote:
"God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Everyone needs to believe in something .... I believe I'll have another beer. :mrgreen:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:50 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Everyone needs to believe in something .... I believe I'll have another beer. :mrgreen:

Okay ... very nice. Have another one dear Wayne ....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:32 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

animal-friendly wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

And will you join me? We can have a pleasant discussion of beliefs or lack thereof over such a cold beverage on a hot day.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

And will you join me? We can have a pleasant discussion of beliefs or lack thereof over such a cold beverage on a hot day.

Absolutely. Crack a few open. I 'believe' in having a cold beer on a hot day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:39 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

animal-friendly wrote:

Absolutely. Crack a few open. I 'believe' in having a cold beer on a hot day.[/quote]
It's about 06:30 here and about 12 degrees and I have a 300 mile drive ahead.
So I'll decline the beer for now.
It's forecast to get hot (28deg) so I just might have a beer when I get to my hotel.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:20 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Quote:

It's forecast to get hot (28deg) so I just might have a beer when I get to my hotel.[/quote]
Now a bit after 21:00.
The driving's done, I got to my hotel.
Had a beer, a very nice dinner, attended to a few emails.
Now having a bit of down time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:26 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Besoeker wrote:
Quote:

It's forecast to get hot (28deg) so I just might have a beer when I get to my hotel.

Now having a bit of down time.[/quote]

Down time? What is this "down time" of which you speak?

My wife complained that I was up at 5:00 AM this morning writing emails. She was threatening to make an appointment with the doctor for some reason. That is until I pointed out that it is usually about 3-4 in the morning when I awaken with the issues of the previous day being addressed. I seem to process the previous day and my mind comes up with a series of solutions and wakes me at that time. I learned years ago to go with it and go back to sleep after dealing with the notes or whatever because my mind would not stop working until I did so. It was scary at times that I could clearly remember things I had forgotten to do even if they were not that important. Even more scary were the number of times clear solutions to complex problems were right there waiting to be documented for later. Of course, my wife believes a sleeping pill would be a good solution, but I never take meds unless I am on the verge of death and not always then.

Tomorrow morning will be an interesting time as there have been a flurry of communications with the EPA regional headquarters and the committee on which I am a member regarding some changes to regulations. The statisticians have completely messed things up and now we have to determine a way to fix them. I wonder what solutions I will have when I wake up so very early.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:38 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
I wonder what solutions I will have when I wake up so very early.

This is what they mean by "sleeping on it", no? I'm way better in the mornings at coming up with solutions. I do a whole day's work, sometimes 2, before noon. After lunch, I'm worthless, but they still make me stay another few hours for some reason. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:21 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Besoeker wrote:
Quote:

Now having a bit of down time.

My wife complained that I was up at 5:00 AM this morning writing emails. She was threatening to make an appointment with the doctor for some reason. That is until I pointed out that it is usually about 3-4 in the morning when I awaken with the issues of the previous day being addressed. I seem to process the previous day and my mind comes up with a series of solutions and wakes me at that time. I learned years ago to go with it and go back to sleep after dealing with the notes or whatever because my mind would not stop working until I did so. It was scary at times that I could clearly remember things I had forgotten to do even if they were not that important. Even more scary were the number of times clear solutions to complex problems were right there waiting to be documented for later. Of course, my wife believes a sleeping pill would be a good solution, but I never take meds unless I am on the verge of death and not always then.

Tomorrow morning will be an interesting time as there have been a flurry of communications with the EPA regional headquarters and the committee on which I am a member regarding some changes to regulations. The statisticians have completely messed things up and now we have to determine a way to fix them. I wonder what solutions I will have when I wake up so very early.[/quote]

Last edited by animal-friendly on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:25 pm 

I wonder what solutions I will have when I wake up so very early.[/quote]

And here is a poem for you "wakeful one" .... good morning!

http://www.panhala.net/Archive/What_to_ ... aking.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:53 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:

Tomorrow morning will be an interesting time as there have been a flurry of communications with the EPA regional headquarters and the committee on which I am a member regarding some changes to regulations. The statisticians have completely messed things up and now we have to determine a way to fix them. I wonder what solutions I will have when I wake up so very early.

I suppose we have different clocks. My time for doing engineering calculations is in the evening and usually after 22:00.
Like last night when I was sending out the calcs at close to midnight.