EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oceanic Crisis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 pm 
New User
New User

I am a university student looking to inspire environmental action in the Canadian government, particularly concerning oceanic preservation. Over the past century, overfishing, development, and pollution have been progressively deteriorating Canada’s oceanic wildlife populations. In response to this crisis, in 1992 the Canadian government pledged to reserve 1/5th of Canada’s oceanic territory by 2012. Today, Australia has successfully reserved 20% of their oceanic territory, the US has reserved 5% of their oceanic territory, and Canada has only reserved 1% of oceanic territory (which still permits fishing). The Canadian government has both failed to keep their clearly feasible promise and failed to take notice of the necessity of oceanic preservation. With the collapse of Canada’s oceanic ecosystems comes the degradation of Canada’s economy, tourism, and, most importantly, communities. Though, there is still a chance to salvage what we have.

Please pass on the following petition and campaign information to at least 2 of your friend’s and ask them to do the same. If we all shout at once, Stephen Harper may finally take notice, and the tides may change.

Petition:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Honest ... ian_Oceans

Campaign:
http://www.indiegogo.com/canadalies

Post subject: Re: Oceanic Crisis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:01 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Good luck.

It would be inapropriate for me to sign as I am not a Canadian citisen but this is a very worth wile action.

Post subject: Re: Oceanic Crisis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

I saw that a French citizen signed it, so I did also.
Still, the 6 huge oceanic trash gyres(2 in the N Pac, 1 S Pac, 1 N Atl, 1 S Atl, & 1 Ind), and the over-fishing to depletion by 2035-50, the 100 estuary dead zones, and the mercury pollution (mostly from China) to the oceanic food chain are caused by many coastal and island countries, and the water circulates as it is getting more acidic to the CO2 saturation point and warmed to the point, eventually, of massive methane releases.
I wrote Gore in '95 that we needed to torpedo the drift netters, among other things to reduce the population and pollution. I got a form letter back.