... He's actually got two fallback positions for when chaos ensues.
I am working on over a dozen:
1) a self-sufficient home in the middle of nowhere with an industrial-sized greenhouse... I can defend it and can sell the produce
2) a school bus converted into a mini camper in front and heated utility room/garage in the back. Self sufficient short of food but portable. I can make stuff inside or transport stuff for income. Bullet-proofing in places is planned.
3) handicap accessible rental property that is mostly self-sufficient but located in the city. With obvious handicap accessories, it may serve the same purpose as people putting a Bible in the dash of their car. Being in a rough neighborhood is actually safer in the event of societal collapse because gangs will defend their turf (but watch out for stray bullets). Government-funded handicap assistance will be easy for me if I too become handicapped (the government pays my tenants, I live there for free)
4) I intend to develop relationships or locations for trading or raising pets in various states and provinces in the two countries (Canada and USA). In the event of local troubles, I will have various locations to flee in different jurisdictions and communities (including with certain species of animals who may suddenly become illegal without notice)
5) I want to set up non-profit organizations to control my land holdings and assets which may make it harder for governments or powerful organizations from taking such resources from my access
6) I will make various media (films, books, music, websites) with the hopes of continued income from royalties and continued work from reputation. This income will be in the currency value at the time of publication or distribution so can maintain value with rapid inflation. Income can be provided globally so single countries failing or going fascist should not stop my income generation possibilities
I will stop there as you should see a pattern (and I have to go offline) but there are many more