EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:12 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 1731
Dontar
A Vegan Fellow Named Bob
Carrie Hice
Cheerful Fawn
Love Canada Geese

some of the many animal rights or animal welfare people
who no longer post... because animal killers have taken over
the board

_________________
Boycott Air Canada, Greyhound,
all Canadian tourism, products such as lumber, meat,
alcohol, fish until
sealclubbing is banned.
http://seashepherd.org/seals/seals.html
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=martha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:24 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:53 am
Posts: 2281
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
arc108 wrote:
an abuse of power IMHO

Quote:
Aren't these same posts in other threads?

Satan commenting on a post..


This would be a great example of a non-sensical posting. What are you trying to prove? How does this message prove anything or help anyone else understand what you are talking about? Satan Jr does not HAVE any power here, how could he abuse it?!?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:31 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:53 am
Posts: 2281
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
arc108 wrote:
Dontar
A Vegan Fellow Named Bob
Carrie Hice
Cheerful Fawn
Love Canada Geese

some of the many animal rights or animal welfare people
who no longer post... because animal killers have taken over
the board


It's a shame that some people have decided to move on for one reason or another, but as I have repeatedly said, this forum is not a support group for pro/anti/neutral people. There are tons of those places to go online and that's where people should go if they need to be with people that agree with them all the time.

I have been doing EnviroLink since 1991 and I can tell you it has ALWAYS been a contentious place where people from all sides of issues (enviro and animal-related) have come together and debated. We ALWAYS have had conflicts, users butting heads, high user turnover, etc. This is not for everyone, which is fine by me.

If you think animal killers have taken over the board, then feel free to try to get as many of your anti animal killers together to actively participate the way that the people you would describe as animal killers do. Or, if that's not worth the effort and it is intolerable for you here, then feel free to leave. Either way, make a decision for yourself and don't flame out the entire board because of your personal decisions.

-josh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:34 am 
Offline
This user has been banned
This user has been banned

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:48 pm
Posts: 1275
josh knauer wrote:
arc108 wrote:
an abuse of power IMHO

Quote:
Aren't these same posts in other threads?

Satan commenting on a post..


This would be a great example of a non-sensical posting. What are you trying to prove? How does this message prove anything or help anyone else understand what you are talking about? Satan Jr does not HAVE any power here, how could he abuse it?!?


He could abuse it if he became a moderator.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:43 am 
Offline
This user has been banned
This user has been banned

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:48 pm
Posts: 1275
Not debate and one example of many. This is why your site is classed as an animal rights bashing forum. A hand full of people who post do so just to bash ARAs. It seem you, Josh, are happy to let them carry on.
Probably why you animal concern site is not popular when you have a forum like this. Nothing wrong with dabate, below is not bebate.

Quote:
Hi Dog Breath. Had a feed of Lobsters night before last. They were caught in Yarmouth Nova Scotia. Were they ever good with the Onion ,Potatoe , diced carrot & Pea Salade. I enjoy fish as much as meat and some fish like scallops salmon & lobsters even more. Pretty hard to beat a good venison dinner though. If God didn't want us to eat meat He would not have made it so tastey and given us an omnivore diet needing Vitamin B12 and other meat related food values.


Deerhunter wrote:
Well today was the first day of the regular deer season. I said my usual prayer and god blessed me with a doe by 9:30am. One shot, and it died almost instantly with a shot through the lungs. I'm very pleased and happy. Unfortunatly the area i was hunting was so rocky with logs and stuff fallen over, that i scraped alot of hair off the oneside of the deer draging it out. Well i guess i don't really need anymore deerskins on my walls anyway :cry:


OHIOSTEVE wrote:
well we were successful with the terriers...dug 5 groundhogs and 3 coon. Only one dog badly damaged.



Meat-hunter wrote:
I had a wonderful hunting season anyone have some good jerky recipes? Its nice to be back though with all of you wonderful loving people.


bow weevil wrote:
Archer wrote:
bow weevil wrote:
good luck, and congrats. My hunting season was pretty good this year, spent lots of time in the woods, saw a few bucks, but passed on all of them. No Deer meat in the freezer this year.

You hunting blacktails out there?

I passed on some bucks myself. Still have plenty of time left in the season, so I'm not in any hurry. I think I'll be a little more opportunistic next time though. I could use some fresh venison in the freezer.


yeah, and muleys in the high country. I don't really have a sound reason for any of them that I passed, I am not a trophy hunter by any means. the deer were from 3x4 to what looked like a 5x6. pretty good size for out here. No matter really, I did get some backstrap from a friend, and I am going boar hunting next weekend. been scouting there and there will be plenty to shoot at. Hoping to get something on the small side, around 100 pounds. Good eating size.

Did manage to get a few quail with my bow, and my son got a couple limits with his shotgun. He also got our thanksgiving turkey this year. He was one proud kid!



http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1405

Just an attempt to cause trouble.

If you are not bothered and wish people to leave your forum then so be it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:07 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20468
Location: Southeastern US
josh knauer wrote:
Ok, between private messages and what people are posting here, it seems there is the beginning of some winnowing down happening. So far, it appears to me that the following three folks are generally (though not universally) thought to be good choices:

1) Sandra John

2) Fosgate

3) Satan Jr (for the love of... can you just change your name back already to what it was way back when? I will help you change your user name so you don't lose all of your posts... The thought of having Satan's spawn helping me moderate here is a bit disconcerting.) :roll:

Any more comments, serious concerns, etc. Sandra... do you even want the job? Do you know that you've been nominated??

-josh


I PM'd her about it before I found that she had already been mentioned, so she does know about it. I will let her speak for herself on the subject since she does get to post fairly regularly.

I have already PM'd you with my wishes on the screen name change so if it can be done, fine. If not I think I can start with a new name without a problem. I think those with which I have been discussing would know who I was .... :wink:

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:52 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 6321
Location: Texas
I think the three mentioned by Josh would be very fair.

Phantomuk, don't you want to stick around to see him abuse his powers if he gets any? Or is this just a way out?

_________________
"Yes like I said it all boils down to morals. What you think is right doesn't make a person wrong because they think different ;)" X-Black


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:11 am 
Offline
This user has been banned
This user has been banned

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:48 pm
Posts: 1275
Archer wrote:
I think the three mentioned by Josh would be very fair.

Phantomuk, don't you want to stick around to see him abuse his powers if he gets any? Or is this just a way out?


I do not think it fair. SJ and Fos are Anti ARA so I do not see the balance met. They are also friends and from the PMs that have been mentioned it seems people have sorted the mods out in private.

Personal remark and attempts at insulting people because of their lack in articulating and spelling is also not what you would expect from a mod. SJ offten does this.

Not a good choice in my view and like I have said. If SJ becomes a mod then I do not want to be a part of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:39 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 6321
Location: Texas
phantomuk wrote:
Archer wrote:
I think the three mentioned by Josh would be very fair.

Phantomuk, don't you want to stick around to see him abuse his powers if he gets any? Or is this just a way out?


I do not think it fair. SJ and Fos are Anti ARA so I do not see the balance met. They are also friends and from the PMs that have been mentioned it seems people have sorted the mods out in private.

Personal remark and attempts at insulting people because of their lack in articulating and spelling is also not what you would expect from a mod. SJ offten does this.

Not a good choice in my view and like I have said. If SJ becomes a mod then I do not want to be a part of it.

Okay, but almost everybody is on one side or the other. So wouldn't it be fair to have one of each?

_________________
"Yes like I said it all boils down to morals. What you think is right doesn't make a person wrong because they think different ;)" X-Black


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:11 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20468
Location: Southeastern US
phantomuk wrote:
Archer wrote:
I think the three mentioned by Josh would be very fair.

Phantomuk, don't you want to stick around to see him abuse his powers if he gets any? Or is this just a way out?


I do not think it fair. SJ and Fos are Anti ARA so I do not see the balance met. They are also friends and from the PMs that have been mentioned it seems people have sorted the mods out in private.

Personal remark and attempts at insulting people because of their lack in articulating and spelling is also not what you would expect from a mod. SJ offten does this.

Not a good choice in my view and like I have said. If SJ becomes a mod then I do not want to be a part of it.


To be clear on the PMs I did PM Ock and Sandra on the subject. I asked Ock if he were interested before I made any nominations as he had already been mentioned as acceptable by some of the more pro-AR folks. He declined but suggested two people, one of which was Sandra. I sent her a PM for the same reason, but then found out she had already been mentioned by ARC. To my knowledge the decision is Josh's and none of the people have been offered the position, but that is not information to which I am privy.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:47 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:53 am
Posts: 2281
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Satan Jr is now Wayne as per his request... I just hope he can log in now... :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:54 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:53 am
Posts: 2281
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
phantomuk wrote:
Not debate and one example of many. This is why your site is classed as an animal rights bashing forum. A hand full of people who post do so just to bash ARAs. It seem you, Josh, are happy to let them carry on.
Probably why you animal concern site is not popular when you have a forum like this. Nothing wrong with dabate, below is not bebate.


Quote:
http://www.envirolink.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1405

Just an attempt to cause trouble.

If you are not bothered and wish people to leave your forum then so be it.


Ok... I actually think this is a good point, if a bit one-sided. Clearly folks on both sides of the AR issue have to agree that there is a lot of baiting and trouble-making from BOTH sides of the issue. A bit of joking, people getting pissed off at each other, etc. is inevitable, but I have heard a lot of complaints about the level to which it has been allowed to go.

I do not have the ability on my own to enforce a "try to be civil... really!" rule here, but with a good team of moderators (2-3 + me) and general agreement from users to raise the bar on the debates here, I think it could work. This means that those that consistently cross the line are going to be warned once or twice and then banned (doesn't matter which side of the debate you are on). It also means that EVERYONE needs to work together (not just moderators) to help new (and old) users to get with the program.

Are we willing to do this?

-josh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:03 pm 
Offline
This user has been banned
This user has been banned

Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:48 pm
Posts: 1275
Sounds good to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:11 pm 
Offline
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:23 pm
Posts: 447
Location: Small Town, USA
I haven't posted on these forums for some time (though I have read through a number of threads from time to time)... 1) because I've been occupied elsewhere and 2) there's not been much point. The near complete lack of debate here has been repulsive and both sides (ARA's and anti-ARA's) are equally responsible. When the argument comes down to the size of one's genitals or a lack of them or a suggested activity for them, your argument is done and so is your credibility.

It's not merely the posting of pro-hunters or anti-ARA's that drives people from these forums. It IS the complete and utter disrespect and vulgar way in which people are treated. No matter who starts it, it always boils down to the same thing... a free-for-all with crap flying everywhere. AR supporters are just a guilty of this as anti-AR people are, if not more so.

In case it's never occurred to the AR supporters, being anti-AR does NOT make one anti-AW. You gain no respect for your position on any side of the argument by behaving worse than the animals you profess to support or show concern for. Until you can make your case without making incivility the soapbox on which you stand you'll contribute nothing and convince no one that your cause it just. You can't beat people into following your path. You can't gain marked effort it your cause of animal rights as long as man disregards the rights of other men... period!!

I will also say that when I joined this forum, the habit (which hasn't changed too much) was to jump people and make assumptions on who they are and what they believe. I suppose that should be expected on a sometimes volatile forum such as this. However, when it's clear that it's a young person posting a concern, a point of view, a question... it is disgusting to see the snide and/or nasty comments of the attack commence. Being on the receiving end of that was (and is) disconcerting and daunting, to say the least. It's clear that many join this site for the sole purpose to inflame and get a good dig in at another. Being a troll is regarded as sport by some who only seek to see how long it takes for them to be banned. A moderator is a necessary thing on a board such as this for that reason alone. That said, and even though Satan Jr (as has been admitted by him... to some degree) certainly has given just cause to being called a "meanie", I feel he has also (on occasion) been able to admit when he has posted with less accuracy or understanding. That's an important point for one who will be selected to moderate these forums. For that reason I support Satan Jr (hopefully renamed something less connected to "evil") being selected for the job. I also support Sandra as a co-moderator for the same reason. Should whoever Josh chooses prove that they cannot do the job in an equal and responsible way, I have full faith that he can, and will, recognize this and take the appropriate action.

LSBF

_________________
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little. ~Edmund Burke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:02 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 6321
Location: Texas
Sounds good, Josh.

And it's good to see you back Luna, especially with such an insightful post as that.

_________________
"Yes like I said it all boils down to morals. What you think is right doesn't make a person wrong because they think different ;)" X-Black


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group