[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Have strong opinions on Animal Rights? See this!

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:42 pm 
New User
New User

Hey!
I am a college student currently researching into animal rights for a college project and for part of my research i am asked to put together a range of interviews on the topic. I was hoping that someone with a strong knowledge and opinions on animal rights would kindly answer a few questions for me.

The questions will only be used in my college project and will not be sold or used for anything else.

If you are interested in helping me please contact me via this site or e-mail me on: steph_freer@msn.com

I will need to know your first name, your age and your location (be it London, Manchester etc.)

Hope to hear from some of you soon!

Steph.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:38 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Is this limited to the UK or are you interested in an international opinion? Are you looking for pro-, con-, or any opinion?

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:16 pm 
New User
New User

I am looking for a mixture of people with different backgrounds and beliefs to give me their opinions on how they feel about certain topics, for example, battery farming, seal clubbing, whale conservation etc. I welcome all information.. the more i have the more detail i can put into my final piece :)

regards, steph.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:21 pm 
New User
New User

I welcome anybodies opinions. I am hoping to get information from multiple people with different cultural backgrounds, different views on each matter, for example, battery farming, whale conservation, seal clubbing etc. The more information i have, positive of negative, the more detailed i can make my final interviews.

(sorry if you received this message twice, i am new to this forum and i didn't know if it had posted my last reply so i posted it again.)

regards,
Steph.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:40 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

I am game. If you want to post your questions you might get several replies in additional comments and/or rebuttals.

You have my name already and I can send you the rest.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:42 am 
New User
New User

Thank you that is great!
Here are just a few starter questions, if you could answer as well as you can and then I will keep adding more until I have all my information.

a) What do you think is the main reason that animal cruelty is still around today?
b) Which area of animal rights (for example.. battery farming, whaling, animal testing) would you say affects you most?
c) What do you feel you could do to prevent or even stop this from continuing in the future?
d) Have you ever taken part in an event or protest to try stop animal rights? If so, explain.

Regards, Steph.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:16 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:02 pm 
New User
New User

Extra questions:

So do you agree with animal testing or do you believe that it should be a last option?

Would you say animal welfare is more important than animal rights? If so why do you believe one is more important than the other.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:43 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:19 pm 
New User
New User

As well as animal testing, what other topics involved in animal welfare/rights do you have strong opinions on?

Do you, in any way whether it be donating to a charity or protesting, help educate or spread the news on these subjects as a career or past time? If so, explain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:45 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:14 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I will join in when you have finished with Wayne. I have a long background in the animal liberation movement and am a convicted ALF/SHAC activist.

I can also put you in touch with other activists throughout the world, main contacts are in Europe and USA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:05 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Hi Steph: I think you really need to think through some of your questions so they are really targeted. I am a long time animal researcher from Australia, now retired.
Q. 1 is straightforward. While cruelty to animals can be intentional (dog fights, harpooning whales), I think it is mostly out of ignorance, and it can be unintentional but necessary. In the first category, cruelty can be from the inappropriate treatment of pet and domesticated animals in not being aware of the Five Freedoms, and the needs or appropriateness of the animal as a human companion; in the second category, I think of animals especially in the Third World where they have to submit to whatever humans want because owners' livelihoods depend on this.
Q.2: I am with Wayne here. If AR had its way, there would be no research or testing (they are two different things) using animals, and humans would suffer. And so would their animals. Contrary to what AR organizations tell people, diseases have been eradicated (small pox) or are about to (polio) - rinder pest is now a disease of cattle species of the past. Without animals, the next flu epidemic or emerging diseases would kill countless humans (or animals) before a vaccine or cure might emerge ( and it might not).Just staying within my own area, we will not ver have a treatment for dementia, schizophrenia, or severe depression; or be able to help people with brain and spinal injuries, or after strokes. To me, to say, as some AR people do, that humans have no right to expect cures for what may ail them, this is invariably said by people who are healthy (or if not, like suffering from diabetes yet taking insulin, saying '"the animals need me, therefore I take this treatment") is misanthropy. I get furious when I see a good friend of mine who has Parkinson's disease that someone would tell me we should not look for treatments that may use naimals - even though of all uses of animals by humans, the use of animals in research and testing is the most tightly controlled. Q4 (I'll come back to Q3, forget it for the moment) I have certianly been the target of AR people because of my research, receiving mail calling me a murderer, a nazi (which of course loses you the argument) and other names; it has been suggested that my parents abused me, the best thing for me would be to commit suicide... that is the level of discussion AR goes down to. Fortunately, I have also found that this is only true of the real fanatics who always know best what other should do. Ordinary people when you talk to them and explain the hwat and why of what is done with animals in research, and the legal safeguards for these animals, will (as is shown in most opinion polls where questions are more nuanced) not be against the use of animals, because they now know what it involves.
Good luck with your project, I'll check on Q3 and come back to it if necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:08 am 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Oh, Q 3. This is the most fuzzy question. What do I want to stop? Really, AR ignorance about the nature of animals. I want to promote rational discourse about animal welfare based on real knowledge of animals' needs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:49 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!