EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 am 
New User
New User

Hi I am currently doing a college project on animal rights and need to get a few 'interviews' from people who are related to my chosen topic. I would really appreciate it if any of you could spare a few minutes to just answer these 7 questions in as much or as little detail as you would like.

1. Are you a vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, raw-vegan or other?
2. How long have you been any of the above?
3. Why did you decide to become on of the above?
4. What is your favourite meal to cook?
5. Who is your favourite (famous or not) animal rights activist?
6. If you had to choose just one animal rights issue that you felt most strongly about which would it be out of the following and one reason why?-
-Animals being used for food
-Animals being used for clothing
-Animals being used for entertainment
-Animals being used for experimentation
-Animals as pets being abused and neglected
7. Whats your opinion on the animal rights myth that 'Animal rights activists care more about animals than people'?

Thank you! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:35 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I am not a vegetarian... So I guess I can't answer. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Hi I am currently doing a college project on animal rights and need to get a few 'interviews' from people who are related to my chosen topic. I would really appreciate it if any of you could spare a few minutes to just answer these 7 questions in as much or as little detail as you would like.

}}Omnivore{{{
}}}63 years{{{
}}}I decided I liked the taste of wild game and fish, and wild rice by 7 years old. I liked oatmeal, and many vegetables and fruits, too{{{
}}}Sun oven chicken and sun oven zucchini whole grain bread{{{
}}}I dislike all of them{{{
6. If you had to choose just one animal rights issue that you felt most strongly about which would it be out of the following and one reason why?-
-Animals as pets being abused and neglected}}}Out of the limited choices, this one, I suppose.
You forget that human overpopulation is driving extinctions, and human pollution is changing the climate toward an even more massive extinction with thermageddon. So those two are much more important than ARs of a few species.{{{
7. Whats your opinion on the animal rights myth that 'Animal rights activists care more about animals than people'?
}}}I think it is somewhat true. They are certainly misguided when stopping HGHGs 90% within this decade is paramount to save ~90% of all species (plant, animal, and including humans) from horrible extinction by a 31*F temperature rise in one millennium with methane turnover.{{{

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

(Omnivore)
(Lifetime. Don't plan on changing.)
(Because it is what we are naturally inclined to do.)
(Lasagna, usually with ground lamb. But I also like cold cereal... A lot.)
(Animals rights is one of the biggest grassroots movements in the country. You will find that ALL activists either A. live in the city or B. have never actually been in contact with any animals aside from pets. We have many pressing problems in the country, ranging from welfare abuse, improper economic policies, overtaxation, recessions, and a massive culture shift at the younger generation level. I honestly (and I say this in the nicest way possible) do not care about animal rights. The only rights I give them are food, water, shelter, vet care, and lots of open space. I do not give them the right to vote, or pretend that they want to be released into the wild when what they are actually thinking is "why won't he give us more &%^$ grain?")
(I guess the last one. Animals for food provide sustenance. Yes, they have to die to do it, but look at nature. Death is a part of the circle of life, fear of it accomplishes nothing. Dairy animals provide food without dying, therefore there is nothing possibly ethically wrong with that.
Animals for clothing, again, same thing. I don't agree with clubbing baby seals, ok, but leather furniture doesn't hurt anything when it is basically a waste product of processing.
Animals for entertainment - there are a thousand different ways this could go.
Animals for experimentation - it saves lives. And I really don't care how many rats they drop off the catwalks.)

You're welcome.
But seriously, you may be insulted by what I've just said (if you do read it). But you seem intelligent, and enthusiastic. But in the wrong way. It makes no sense, and never will. Go be a farm intern for a couple months; you will get a whole new perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:26 am 

em4animals wrote:
1. Are you a vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, raw-vegan or other

Other but I end up practicing all the above. My diet is based in three things... foods I could produce myself, foods that do not require refrigeration, and foods that do not require cooking heat higher then boiling-hot water. These requirements are to protect wild spaces by not requiring resources outside of my own home (with solar heat) and garden/greenhouse.
em4animals wrote:
all my life I have been aware of the impact humans have had on wildlife and especially agriculture for grain. For the last 8 years I have not used a refrigerator and I have not cooked without water for as long (no frying or toasting) with a lot of raw food eaten. I still use grains but only because I have not yet built my greenhouse (but plans are drawn out and some landscaping has been done in preparation) Note that my energy use is about 45 times less then a typical person's energy usage in my area... about 3% of my energy bills is for actual energy used and soon I will eliminate all utilities use... maximum gift to wildlife
em4animals wrote:
to save the most number of animals from harm and suffering, I figure helping wild rodents would be the best route as about 90% of mammals by number would be rodents and most of those live in agricultural areas. I see first-hand the massive numbers of rodents killed by grain harvesting equipment and cattle feed (bailed into hay bails) when working on farms of all sorts
em4animals wrote:
4. What is your favorite meal to cook?
raw fruits and vegetables... especially berries
em4animals wrote:
5. Who is your favorite (famous or not) animal rights activist?
me. I have had friends killed by animal rights activists so I have a very low opinion of all of them unless they are helping wildlife be wild by making their own food
em4animals wrote:

(your list does not contain any of the 5 key issues for me) Releasing animals into the wild of any kind is the most cruel thing you could do for both the released animals and the wildlife who have to deal with the survivors of such a cruel release. This includes transporting pests like rats and mice to areas they are not native to. Note that I love mice and rats as pets but they are the most destructive pair of invasive species with cats as a close third place.
em4animals wrote:
it is a myth because most animal rights activists are really concerned about controlling other humans. The stated goals of many key animal rights activists, authors, and organizations is to eliminate all domestic animal species from existence which for me is like committing eternal murder to all the unborn animals of the now-extinct species. For this reason, my personal goal is to preserve all species including domestic species and breeds. I am concerned about the animals and couldn't care less about what other people do... I create my own future and I create the good in the world. Looking for other people who might be doing wrong is cheating... the most good is done by doing good yourself. If you don't like animals being used for fur... don't buy furs and be done with the issue. I make my own food or will soon and am close to making my own energy... my negative influence to wildlife is getting close to being only my own land. Once that is achieved, I will try to create refuge and homes for urban wildlife.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:32 am 
New User
New User

thanks for the replies, has really helped me out. However, Heritage Farm - 'But seriously, you may be insulted by what I've just said (if you do read it). But you seem intelligent, and enthusiastic. But in the wrong way. It makes no sense, and never will. Go be a farm intern for a couple months; you will get a whole new perspective.' I would love to know what you mean by 'in the wrong way'? Im simply collecting qualitative data for my project and do not understand how you could get an opinion on myself from some written words on a computer screen? But thanks anyway, your replies were useful, as with everyone else's :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

My mistake... I assumed you were in favor of animal rights, and now I don't know if you are or not...

Ann Vole: Your goals are admirable.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 pm 

HeritageFarm wrote:
Ann Vole: Your goals are admirable.
thank you for saying so. I always seem to have a different set of logistics to come up with reasons to do things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:28 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

em4animals wrote:

No.
Not applicable.
Not applicable.
My wife makes an excellent salmon fillet with a mirren and teriyaki sauce.
Sorry. I don't know any.
One could possibly find reasons for the others but not abuse.
It's probably a myth in most cases.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:38 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

em4animals wrote:
Go be a farm intern for a couple months; you will get a whole new perspective.'

I spent the first twenty years of my life on a farm. I know what happens to the livestock after it is sold at market and we did some of our own butchering. It in no way influenced me to any kind of vegetarian. The animals that end up as meat would not have existed in the first place if they were not of value.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 pm 

Besoeker wrote:
em4animals wrote:

I spent the first twenty years of my life on a farm. I know what happens to the livestock after it is sold at market and we did some of our own butchering. It in no way influenced me to any kind of vegetarian. The animals that end up as meat would not have existed in the first place if they were not of value.
most (but not necessarily all) livestock farmers love animals and thus their choice of lifestyle and career. Profits are directly tied to how healthy and happy the animals are (but not necessarily so... most cost cutting measures are not positive changes for the animals) so the farmer who cares and improves the lives of the livestock is rewarded with more reproduction, less losses, and better prices. Note that I worked for a few dozen livestock farmers (and a good variety of species) who were all ranges from excellent to abusive and so could see a direct correlation between attitude and profitability (and animal health)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:55 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Ann Vole wrote:
Besoeker wrote:
em4animals wrote:

most (but not necessarily all) livestock farmers love animals and thus their choice of lifestyle and career. Profits are directly tied to how healthy and happy the animals are (but not necessarily so... most cost cutting measures are not positive changes for the animals) so the farmer who cares and improves the lives of the livestock is rewarded with more reproduction, less losses, and better prices. Note that I worked for a few dozen livestock farmers (and a good variety of species) who were all ranges from excellent to abusive and so could see a direct correlation between attitude and profitability (and animal health)

Yes, you are absolutely right. People with the wrong attitude simply don't make the best farmers. If all they care about is their bottom dollar, and don't care how they do it, their farm won't function well.