EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Big Mouth Romney....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:04 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

HeritageFarm wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Do you mean the Abraham Lincoln quote? Is it not appropriate to a discussion where something is being called a term for which it does not meet the definition? I think so.

All right. But I still find it annoying. [-X

I imagine that you might.

Quote:
Quote:
Inflation can affect the economy, so does deflation and natural disasters, but they are not called taxes. Stock market declines have an effect, as do wars, pandemics, and many other things which also do not meet the definition of a tax.

Those things you mentioned are not necessarily caused by the government. Inflation is caused by the government, and in part by the economy (but only in part).

So how does the economy levy taxes? If the same criteria is used to define tax and inflation due to cause, the economy would have to partly cause taxes in order to be consistent.

Quote:
Therefore, since taxes take money money away from the public, and inflation does take money away from the economy as well, inflation is LIKE a tax.

Money is not taken away from the economy though. The stock market actually does that, so is it a tax? International trade actually does that, so is it also a tax? The appeal to try to connect the perception of a negative connotation of tax to inflation requires some creative illogic and suspension of reality.

Quote:
Quote:
Wiki articles are nothing but an opinion piece with multiple possibilities for input, but none of which have to be anyone with any real knowledge on the subject.

True, but they reveal what other people believe on the subject.

Other people believe lots of things which are also untrue. This is just evidence of that fact.

Quote:
Quote:
The inflation tax does not exist because you cannot show the legislation, order, decree, collection method, accounting, or any other reference to the creation of such a tax. The process by which inflation is created is even variable in that it does not appear each and every time with the same characteristics. It may have some similarities with a tax in relation to buying power, but so do house fires, loss, theft, job loss, recession, depression, and many other unrelated actions.

Legislation, order, decree? That has absolutely nothing to do with my analogy.

Are they not the only ways taxes can be created? If something is a tax it must share a similar creation method.

Quote:
And thank you for admitting that is does bear similarities.

Cats share similarities with dogs, but to call either by the others name is still not correct.

Quote:
That was my main point. My other point was that the government abuses this power.

Religions abuse power, parents abuse power, bosses abuse power, teachers abuse power, the rich abuse power, celebrities abuse power, and people in general will abuse any power they can get.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:30 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Fosgate wrote:
Legislative and executive branches. Are you pleased with their performance?

Legislative branch, no. They stopped working for the good of the country years ago. They work for the good of themselves and their party, in that order now.

Agreed.

Quote:
The executive branch, not as much as they have been working more for the good of the country.

More enough or just more?

It doesn't matter if we spend ourselves into oblivion or revolt, we're eventually going to lose the form of government we have now. It's human nature.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:23 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
So how does the economy levy taxes? If the same criteria is used to define tax and inflation due to cause, the economy would have to partly cause taxes in order to be consistent.

Only if you want to use specific criteria to evaluate a simple statement such as "Inflation is like a tax in that it takes money away from the public."

Money is not taken away from the economy though. The stock market actually does that, so is it a tax? International trade actually does that, so is it also a tax? The appeal to try to connect the perception of a negative connotation of tax to inflation requires some creative illogic and suspension of reality.

Only if you think of it in an illogical way. Also, your points just now illustrated how the economy can affect inflation.

Are they not the only ways taxes can be created? If something is a tax it must share a similar creation method.

[b]Then we must make decrees and laws for every analogy out there, and politicians must be strictly forbidden from saying things like "easy as pie," since there is currently no definition for why pie would be so easy. In fact, we should lock them up.

Cats share similarities with dogs, but to call either by the others name is still not correct.

To point out their similarites is, however, and is what I am doing.

Quote:
That was my main point. My other point was that the government abuses this power.

Religions abuse power, parents abuse power, bosses abuse power, teachers abuse power, the rich abuse power, celebrities abuse power, and people in general will abuse any power they can get.

Then these should all be banned, right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:47 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

HeritageFarm wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Only if you want to use specific criteria to evaluate a simple statement such as "Inflation is like a tax in that it takes money away from the public."

A cat is like a dog in that it has four legs and a tail, but that does not make the two terms interchangable. Thus, having an effect on the economy does not make inflation a tax nor a tax inflation.

Quote:
Quote:

Only if you think of it in an illogical way.

Like the way you have been doing?

Quote:
Also, your points just now illustrated how the economy can affect inflation.

Yes, the economy can affect inflation but that still does not make it a tax, which is the point to which there is objection.

Quote:
Quote:

[b]Then we must make decrees and laws for every analogy out there, and politicians must be strictly forbidden from saying things like "easy as pie," since there is currently no definition for why pie would be so easy. In fact, we should lock them up.

No, only for things being called taxes or something similar. An analogy is far different that saying something is or is not somethign else. You claimed inflation was a tax, to which there would have to be some legal connection.

Quote:
Quote:

To point out their similarites is, however, and is what I am doing.

You do not point out similarities by calling a cat a dog, you list the similarities.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Then these should all be banned, right?

No, not even close.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:11 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

"Like the way you have been doing? "

No. I have been trying to explain something. Apparently that doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:36 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

HeritageFarm wrote:
"Like the way you have been doing? "

No. I have been trying to explain something. Apparently that doesn't work.

You have been trying to explain something in an illogical manner. That usually does not work well.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6