EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:02 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1329
I post this not because I am interested in debating, but because I am interested in being a witness to what is going on .... most of the world over.

It is not easy viewing. After screening it, the CEO of Canada’s Federation of Humane Societies, Barbara Cartwright, predicted Canadians are in for a shock. “They are not used to seeing this,” she said. “They still believe animals are being raised in the old farm style.”

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/undercover-inv ... z2POR04AOx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:30 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2243
Location: Central Colorado
Way too many people.......and in around 35 years, if you are alive, you will witness extreme cannibalism......... :-({|=

So AF, you are already witnessing people eating other people??? I friggin doubt it, SAH! [-X
We'll all see it? Only those who will be alive after the late 2030s to 60s. YSAH!!! :razz: :twisted:
You are just a :-& sick =P~ liar :crazy: :shh: , AF. #-o



:mrgreen:

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Last edited by Johhny Electriglide on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1329
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Way too many people.......and in around 35 years, if you are alive, you will witness extreme cannibalism......... :-({|=



I'm already seeing it.
We can all witness it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1329
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Way too many people.......and in around 35 years, if you are alive, you will witness extreme cannibalism......... :-({|=

So AF, you are already witnessing people eating other people??? I friggin doubt it, SAH! [-X
We'll all see it? Only those who will be alive after the late 2030s to 60s. YSAH!!! :razz: :twisted:
You are just a :-& sick =P~ liar :crazy: :shh: , AF. #-o



:mrgreen:


I don't really get your response to the video posted regarding the treatment of animals Johhny. And the emoticons don't help as much as you seem to like to plaster them for effect, I guess, while they actually detract from most of your posts, although you might not get this fact. Maybe you believe that for each emoticon you post, 10,000 people (Black, Hispanic, Iranian) will be wiped from the planet. That would be your fairy tale. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking, (as any child could attest to).

So Johnny .... to answer your question ..... NO. I have never, ever witnessed people eating other people although such instances have been reported in certain times and cultures.

Regardless, how am I (the person who posted the realities of factory farming in Canada) a "sick crazy liar"?

I can only hope your response holds some modicum of authenticity. I at least would hope for some relevance. But wouldn't we all?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1329
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Way too many people.......and in around 35 years, if you are alive, you will witness extreme cannibalism......... :-({|=

So AF, you are already witnessing people eating other people??? I friggin doubt it, SAH! [-X
We'll all see it? Only those who will be alive after the late 2030s to 60s. YSAH!!! :razz: :twisted:
You are just a :-& sick =P~ liar :crazy: :shh: , AF. #-o



:mrgreen:


I don't really get your response to the video posted regarding the treatment of animals Johhny. And the emoticons don't help as much as you seem to like to plaster them for effect, I guess, while they actually detract from most of your posts, although you might not get this fact. Maybe you believe that for each emoticon you post, 10,000 people (Black, Hispanic, Iranian) will be wiped from the planet. That would be your fairy tale. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking, (as any child could attest to).

So Johnny .... to answer your question ..... NO. I have never, ever witnessed people eating other people although such instances have been reported in certain times and cultures.

How is one, by posting this expose about the abattoirs whose walls are thick, a "sick liar"?

I can only hope your response holds some modicum of authenticity. I at least would hope for some relevance. But wouldn't we all? (hold the emoticons if you dare!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:16 pm 
Offline
New User
New User

Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:08 pm
Posts: 4
Thank you for posting this link. This is not the first time I've seen shocking undercover footage of this nature, but seeing it before does not lessen my feelings of anger and sorrow. While viewing this footage (and similar footage) I had to look away several times and/or close my eyes. It's overwhelming. I think of how upset I get watching this kind of footage from the safety of my home, and how it must pale in comparison to the sheer terror the animals experience in those torture chambers. I live in the United States, and our treatment of the animals (factory farms) is not much better. I am against all forms of animal abuse, but I focus on factory farms/slaughters. I personally spread awareness via social media, and campaign efforts. I believe awareness is extremely important as it is a precursor to change, BUT I am running out of patience and ideas. Always open to suggestions. Well ,Thanks again :-) M4animallib


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:23 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1329
M4animallib wrote:
Thank you for posting this link. This is not the first time I've seen shocking undercover footage of this nature, but seeing it before does not lessen my feelings of anger and sorrow. While viewing this footage (and similar footage) I had to look away several times and/or close my eyes. It's overwhelming. I think of how upset I get watching this kind of footage from the safety of my home, and how it must pale in comparison to the sheer terror the animals experience in those torture chambers. I live in the United States, and our treatment of the animals (factory farms) is not much better. I am against all forms of animal abuse, but I focus on factory farms/slaughters. I personally spread awareness via social media, and campaign efforts. I believe awareness is extremely important as it is a precursor to change, BUT I am running out of patience and ideas. Always open to suggestions. Well ,Thanks again :-) M4animallib



Yes, the gruesome reality that many would like to avoid in favor of the taste of bacon with their eggs. The traditions of what we eat on certain occasions, such as this thing called "breakfast", traditionally eaten before noon ..... are defended quite vigorously in spite of the evidence of "torture" .... which may seem like an extreme word to use, but there is really no other.

Where, I wonder, is the sense of responsibility? Are we not all responsible? If not us, then who?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:33 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:05 am
Posts: 51
Location: Venice, Italy
I think to report these cruelty against farm animals can help to inform the consumers, so that they will refuse to buy product from farms mistreating animals.
And I think it would be good to spread an ideal of biological farm where pigs are kept in wide enclosures open air with a refuge, with the possibility to interact among them.
And castration practised only by veterinarians and under anesthesia.

I am from Italy and I am proud to say that in EU law we have the hightest standard of welfare for farm animals.
And now the biological agriculture is spreading around because the consumers are becoming more attentive regarding their own health and animal rights.

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/welfare ... dex_en.htm

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/welfare ... igs_en.htm

The Directive 2001/93/EC
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 093:EN:NOT



In addition to the relevant provisions of the Annex to Directive 98/58/EC, the following requirements apply:

1. In the part of the building where pigs are kept continuous noise levels as loud as 85 dBA shall be avoided. Constant or sudden noise shall be avoided.

2. Pigs must be kept in light with an intensity of at least 40 lux for a minimum period of minimum eight hours per day.

3. The accommodation for pigs must be constructed in such a way as to allow the animals to:

- have access to a lying area physically and thermally comfortable as well as adequately drained and clean which allow all the animals to lie at the same time,

- rest and get up normally,

- see other pigs; however, in the week before the expected farrowing time and during farrowing, sows and gilts can be kept out of the sight of conspecifics.

4. Not withstanding Article 3(5), pigs must have permanent access to a sufficient quantity of material to enable proper investigation and manipulation activities, such as straw, hay, wood, sawdust, mushroom compost, peat or a mixture of such, which does not compromise the health of the animals.

5. Floors must be smooth but not slippery so as to prevent injury to the pigs and so designed, constructed and maintained so as not to cause injury or suffering to pigs. They must be suitable for the size and weight of the pigs and, if no litter is provided, form a rigid, even and stable surface.

6. All pigs must be fed at least once a day. Where pigs are fed in groups and not ad libitum or by an automatic system feeding the animals individually, each pig must have access to the food at the same time as the others in the group.

7. All pigs over two weeks of age must have permanent access to a sufficient quantity of fresh water.

8. All procedures intended as an intervention carried out for other than therapeutic or diagnostic purposes or for the identification of the pigs in accordance with relevant legislation and resulting in damage to or the loss of a sensitive part of the body or the alteration of bone structure shall be prohibited with the following exceptions:

- a uniform reduction of corner teeth of piglets by grinding or clipping not later than the seventh day of life of the piglets leaving an intact smooth surface; boars' tusks may be reduced in length where necessary to prevent injuries to other animals or for safety reasons,

- docking of a part of the tail,

- castration of male pigs by other means than tearing of tissues,

- nose ringing only when the animals are kept in outdoor husbandry systems and in compliance with national legislation.

Neither tail docking nor reduction of corner teeth must be carried out routinely but only where there is evidence that injuries to sows' teats or to other pigs' ears or tails have occurred. Before carrying out these procedures, other measures shall be taken to prevent tail biting and other vices taking into account environment and stocking densities. For this reason inadequate environmental conditions or management systems must be changed.

Any of the procedures described above shall only be carried out by a veterinarian or a person trained as provided in Article 5 of this Directive experienced in performing the applied techniques with appropriate means and under hygienic conditions. If castration or docking of tails is practised after seventh day of life, it shall only be performed under anaesthetic and additional prolonged analgesia by a veterinarian.

CHAPTER II

SPECIFIC PROVISIONS FOR VARIOUS CATEGORIES OF PIGS

A. BOARS

Boar pens must be sited and constructed so as to allow the boar to turn round and to hear, smell and see other pigs. The unobstructed floor area available to an adult boar must be at least 6 m2.

Where pens are also used for natural service the floor area available to an adult boar must be at least of 10 m2 and the pen must be free of any obstacles. From 1 January 2003 this provision shall apply to all holdings newly built or rebuilt or brought into use for the first time after this date. From 1 January 2005 this provision shall apply to all holdings.

B. SOWS AND GILTS

1. Measures shall be taken to minimise aggression in groups.

2. Pregnant sows and gilts must, if necessary, be treated against external and internal parasites. If they are placed in farrowing crates, pregnant sows and gilts must be thoroughly cleaned.

3. In the week before the expected farrowing time sows and gilts must be given suitable nesting material in sufficient quantity unless it is not technically feasible for the slurry system used in the establishment.

4. An unobstructed area behind the sow or gilt must be available for the ease of natural or assisted farrowing.

5. Farrowing pens where sows are kept loose must have some means of protecting the piglets, such as farrowing rails.

C. PIGLETS

1. A part of the total floor, sufficient to allow the animal to rest together at the same time, must be solid or covered with a mat, or be littered with straw or any other suitable material.

2. Where a farrowing crate is used, the piglets must have sufficient space to be able to be suckled without difficulty.

3. No piglets shall be weaned from the sow at less than 28 days of age unless the welfare or health of the dam or the piglet would otherwise be adversely affected.

However, piglets may be weaned up to seven days earlier if they are moved into specialised housings which are emptied and thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before the introduction of a new group and which are separated from housings where sows are kept, in order to minimise the transmission of diseases to the piglets.

D. WEANERS AND REARING PIGS

1. When pigs are kept in groups measures must be taken to prevent fighting which goes beyond normal behaviour.

2. They should be kept in groups with as little mixing as possible. If pigs unfamiliar with one another have to be mixed, this should be done at as young an age as possible, preferably before or up to one week after weaning. When pigs are mixed they shall be provided with adequate opportunities to escape and hide from other pigs.

3. When signs of severe fighting appear the causes shall be immediately investigated and appropriate measures taken such as providing plentiful straw to the animals, if possible, or other materials for investigation. Animals at risk or particular aggressors shall be kept separate from the group.

4. The use of tranquillising medicaments in order to facilitate mixing shall be limited to exceptional conditions and only after consultation with a veterinarian.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:01 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1329
LetiziaPallara wrote:
I think to report these cruelty against farm animals can help to inform the consumers, so that they will refuse to buy product from farms mistreating animals.
And I think it would be good to spread an ideal of biological farm where pigs are kept in wide enclosures open air with a refuge, with the possibility to interact among them.
And castration practised only by veterinarians and under anesthesia.

I am from Italy and I am proud to say that in EU law we have the hightest standard of welfare for farm animals.
And now the biological agriculture is spreading around because the consumers are becoming more attentive regarding their own health and animal rights.

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/welfare ... dex_en.htm

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/welfare ... igs_en.htm

The Directive 2001/93/EC
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 093:EN:NOT



In addition to the relevant provisions of the Annex to Directive 98/58/EC, the following requirements apply:

1. In the part of the building where pigs are kept continuous noise levels as loud as 85 dBA shall be avoided. Constant or sudden noise shall be avoided.

2. Pigs must be kept in light with an intensity of at least 40 lux for a minimum period of minimum eight hours per day.

3. The accommodation for pigs must be constructed in such a way as to allow the animals to:

- have access to a lying area physically and thermally comfortable as well as adequately drained and clean which allow all the animals to lie at the same time,

- rest and get up normally,

- see other pigs; however, in the week before the expected farrowing time and during farrowing, sows and gilts can be kept out of the sight of conspecifics.

4. Not withstanding Article 3(5), pigs must have permanent access to a sufficient quantity of material to enable proper investigation and manipulation activities, such as straw, hay, wood, sawdust, mushroom compost, peat or a mixture of such, which does not compromise the health of the animals.

5. Floors must be smooth but not slippery so as to prevent injury to the pigs and so designed, constructed and maintained so as not to cause injury or suffering to pigs. They must be suitable for the size and weight of the pigs and, if no litter is provided, form a rigid, even and stable surface.

6. All pigs must be fed at least once a day. Where pigs are fed in groups and not ad libitum or by an automatic system feeding the animals individually, each pig must have access to the food at the same time as the others in the group.

7. All pigs over two weeks of age must have permanent access to a sufficient quantity of fresh water.

8. All procedures intended as an intervention carried out for other than therapeutic or diagnostic purposes or for the identification of the pigs in accordance with relevant legislation and resulting in damage to or the loss of a sensitive part of the body or the alteration of bone structure shall be prohibited with the following exceptions:

- a uniform reduction of corner teeth of piglets by grinding or clipping not later than the seventh day of life of the piglets leaving an intact smooth surface; boars' tusks may be reduced in length where necessary to prevent injuries to other animals or for safety reasons,

- docking of a part of the tail,

- castration of male pigs by other means than tearing of tissues,

- nose ringing only when the animals are kept in outdoor husbandry systems and in compliance with national legislation.

Neither tail docking nor reduction of corner teeth must be carried out routinely but only where there is evidence that injuries to sows' teats or to other pigs' ears or tails have occurred. Before carrying out these procedures, other measures shall be taken to prevent tail biting and other vices taking into account environment and stocking densities. For this reason inadequate environmental conditions or management systems must be changed.

Any of the procedures described above shall only be carried out by a veterinarian or a person trained as provided in Article 5 of this Directive experienced in performing the applied techniques with appropriate means and under hygienic conditions. If castration or docking of tails is practised after seventh day of life, it shall only be performed under anaesthetic and additional prolonged analgesia by a veterinarian.

CHAPTER II

SPECIFIC PROVISIONS FOR VARIOUS CATEGORIES OF PIGS

A. BOARS

Boar pens must be sited and constructed so as to allow the boar to turn round and to hear, smell and see other pigs. The unobstructed floor area available to an adult boar must be at least 6 m2.

Where pens are also used for natural service the floor area available to an adult boar must be at least of 10 m2 and the pen must be free of any obstacles. From 1 January 2003 this provision shall apply to all holdings newly built or rebuilt or brought into use for the first time after this date. From 1 January 2005 this provision shall apply to all holdings.

B. SOWS AND GILTS

1. Measures shall be taken to minimise aggression in groups.

2. Pregnant sows and gilts must, if necessary, be treated against external and internal parasites. If they are placed in farrowing crates, pregnant sows and gilts must be thoroughly cleaned.

3. In the week before the expected farrowing time sows and gilts must be given suitable nesting material in sufficient quantity unless it is not technically feasible for the slurry system used in the establishment.

4. An unobstructed area behind the sow or gilt must be available for the ease of natural or assisted farrowing.

5. Farrowing pens where sows are kept loose must have some means of protecting the piglets, such as farrowing rails.

C. PIGLETS

1. A part of the total floor, sufficient to allow the animal to rest together at the same time, must be solid or covered with a mat, or be littered with straw or any other suitable material.

2. Where a farrowing crate is used, the piglets must have sufficient space to be able to be suckled without difficulty.

3. No piglets shall be weaned from the sow at less than 28 days of age unless the welfare or health of the dam or the piglet would otherwise be adversely affected.

However, piglets may be weaned up to seven days earlier if they are moved into specialised housings which are emptied and thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before the introduction of a new group and which are separated from housings where sows are kept, in order to minimise the transmission of diseases to the piglets.

D. WEANERS AND REARING PIGS

1. When pigs are kept in groups measures must be taken to prevent fighting which goes beyond normal behaviour.

2. They should be kept in groups with as little mixing as possible. If pigs unfamiliar with one another have to be mixed, this should be done at as young an age as possible, preferably before or up to one week after weaning. When pigs are mixed they shall be provided with adequate opportunities to escape and hide from other pigs.

3. When signs of severe fighting appear the causes shall be immediately investigated and appropriate measures taken such as providing plentiful straw to the animals, if possible, or other materials for investigation. Animals at risk or particular aggressors shall be kept separate from the group.

4. The use of tranquillising medicaments in order to facilitate mixing shall be limited to exceptional conditions and only after consultation with a veterinarian.



LetiziaPallara .... It seems Europe is way ahead of North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, Asia and the Middle East. Heck, Europe is way ahead of the rest of the world in this regard.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group