[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Chemical Engineering Student

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:13 pm 
New User
New User

Hi All,

I joined this forum because I'm interested in reading other peoples' opinions on the environmental problems the earth is facing. I'm 22 and will graduate with a BS in Chemical Engineering w/ a minor in Environmental Studies in May 2014. I still have a lot to learn!

Lets see... I try to do my small part in protecting the environment:
- I bought a 2011 Honda CR-Z a year ago, it is a hybrid. I know know, hybrids aren't all that green because the batteries will one day go to a landfill... I would hope car companies recycle/refurbish as much of them as they can. But at least I am using a little bit less gas. Also this car has "auto stop", which means the engine turns off when I come to a stop. No idling at red lights and wasting gasoline/polluting the atmosphere!
- I live at home with my family, including grandparents. My grandparents grew up farmers, so we have a mini garden in the backyard. Corn, cucumbers, peppers, dill (for making pickles), squash, pumpkins (sometimes), strawberries, raspberries (sometimes), and I'm probably forgetting a few more things.
- Since highschool (9 years ago!) I have been pressing my family to recycle more. Plastic, paper, carboard, paperboard. Some examples are yogurt cups, tissue boxes, milk/juice jugs/containers, any and all boxes, frozen meal plastic trays, oh and my favorite: toilet paper roll centers. We have a place in the house to pile the paper products together, and when I started putting the toilet paper roll cardboard centers in there, they tended to fall out of the pile when someone would carry the pile outside. My family got fed up with this, so now my parents buy Scotts Naturals Tube-free toilet paper. Woo hoo! Also, every week we recycle so much (8 people in my house!) that my dad asked the garbage company if we could have a second garbage can to fill up with recyclables. They said no, but doubled the amount of small recycling bins that we have.
- I hope to someday in my career work for a green company, doing something innovating. Right now I'm a paid intern at the Laboratory for Laser Energetics, which is a national laboratory that is researching nuclear fusion and it's use as a renewable energy source (like nuclear fission power plants). Nuclear fusion uses lasers, hence the lab name! Pretty neat working here, but I'm more of a research scientist here than a chemical engineer...

Well I think I've written enough. I may not post much but I look forward to reading through the forum. :razz:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:30 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Welcome!!! ChemEngin Rocks!!!!! :mrgreen:

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:10 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Niiiiiice. I'm Chem myself, but I skipped the Eng part because I was good enough already without it. :lol:

Welcome to the club!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:22 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Fos but then you would be the little engin that could ..... <chug> <chug>

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 am 

I prefer to be the big engine that did. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:10 pm 

Welcome!! I see you are working on something like this;
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 24237.html

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:21 pm 
New User
New User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:38 am 

A very warm welcome to the forum!

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:25 pm 
New User
New User

Thank you! I haven't visited in a while. Got a notification yesterday saying Happy Birthday, and one today for your (^) reply.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:10 pm 

A belated 'Happy birthday'. Hope you had a great day. Wishing you a wonderful year ahead.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com