Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello there! New user
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:42 pm 
New User
New User

Hello everyone,

I will keep this brief as I know we've all got a lot to do!.

My name is Ollie, I run a channel called Castbythecoast - We are hoping to start an environmentally themed podcast. We want to get people talking about environmentalism again. It's something that's ever so slightly fallen into the background of our public conversation.

I've always been looking for an informal online community that looks at the arguments surrounding environmental issues. To be honest, lately, it's as if we've all become so obessed with politics and technology that we've began to forget some of the other more pressing issues. The conversation regarding environmental degredation is certaintly a controversial one. There are valid arguments from both sides and it is important that we find a place to voice these arguments. We know that light is the best disinfectant - we know that the marketplace of ideas is where innovation is born and that through debate we filter nonsense and reach consensus. Those who hold particularly controversial views regarding climate change and global warming are not given a platform. This lack of platform forces ideals underground and in the darkness they fester. Even with this somewhat dramatic introduction it is worth saying that often, the differing opinions are completely valid. There are genuine reasons to doubt the statistics that NASA put out. There is a genuine need for a discussion about this. However, today it is career suicide to even voice a concern. This isn't okay. All this does is reinforce previously held positions.

The big misunderstanding

One thing that is apparent is that the fundemental disagreement between the waring sides centres around a misunderstanding as opposed to a disagreement. Often this disagreement focuses around the term 'climate change'. Generally, a skeptic will hear this term and assosiate it with general global heating as a result of green house emission. This is technically the correct understanding of the word but a more comprehensive definition of this word has been adopted by progressive environmentalists.

This disagreements obscures the actual point of this conversation. Calls to fight 'Climate change' in the literal sense of the word look to focus on impacts pollutions and biodiversity destruction. If two opposing sides are attempting to converse using these separate definitions of the words then the factors that do not neatly fall within the preconcieved definitions. It is extremely difficult to deny the fact that plastic pollution in the Pacific ocean is an issue. A serious issue, but so tribal is the issue, that an empirical fact with genuine consequences can be dismissed in the same breath as a denial in climate change.

Anyway, that's the point of this channel. That's why I'm making it, I want to start a conversation with you. If you know someone who would be good for an interview, please let me know! If you have something you want to be discussed by us, the community, let me know.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Good luck with denialists on both sides. I have fought the environmental fight since 1967 with the root cause of overpopulation. Therein lies one divide on the environmental side. Denialism of the root cause. Then there is denialism of just how far along and serious it is, again on the good guys side. The other side will not believe anything until dying in a wet bulb event.
It is tough, and all we can do is live the 3 Rs solar life ourselves and try to get others to also live that way. The dumb down of world society I have seen in the past 52 years, with the overbreeding of the lowest spectrum who can not fathom the word "sustainability". has been a nightmare. :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :mrgreen: