EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:27 am 
This user has been banned

I find the use of this word in any context offencive. I do not like the use of the word and have left many forums because of it.

It is used as a racist comment in Europe. I asked for its use to be reviewed but it was ot suprised it was not taken seriously by Wayne.

A raccoon is a raccoon and I believe the use of the word coon is done in a racist way even though it is describing a raccoon.

Because of this I am not going to use the forum again. I have found it to be full of hunters as well and the moderators have done nothing to improve the off topic posts and personal banter they even take part in it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:11 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

phantomuk wrote:
I find the use of this word in any context offencive. I do not like the use of the word and have left many forums because of it.

It is used as a racist comment in Europe. I asked for its use to be reviewed but it was ot suprised it was not taken seriously by Wayne.

A raccoon is a raccoon and I believe the use of the word coon is done in a racist way even though it is describing a raccoon.

Because of this I am not going to use the forum again. I have found it to be full of hunters as well and the moderators have done nothing to improve the off topic posts and personal banter they even take part in it.

Interesting clash of cultures here... I know that in many parts of the United States (especially rural areas) raccoons are in fact referred to as "coons". I do also know that it another context, it is a racial slur that is sometimes used by idiots. I have yet to see any racial slurs that have been used here (and I keep a very close eye out for such things).

Clearly, the context in which a word is used is the imporant issue, especially when you are dealing with words that truly do have multiple meanings, some of which are non-offensive. If you are really leaving this forum because of the use of a word that has legitimate non-offensive meaning in a regional dialect (and which I have yet to see be used in an offensive manner), then that's your issue. When you participate in a forum that has international participation, you have to expect there to be some issues around regional meanings of words.

If we were to apply your "it better not mean anything offensive" rule to all words used here, we wouldn't be able to use many words that have very sensible and non-offensive meanings. You have to take the context in which it was used into account, and I certainly expect our moderators to do the same. Any racial, ethnic or other similar slurs would never be and have never been tolerated here.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:05 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I have never once in my life heard "coon" as being offensive so I have no clue what it means in Europe. But I hope you don't leave the forum because of it :cry:

Also I say this is not to be mean at all but, you are making WAY to big a deal out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:43 pm 

emuking5 wrote:
I have never once in my life heard "coon" as being offensive so I have no clue what it means in Europe. But I hope you don't leave the forum because of it :cry:

Also I say this is not to be mean at all but, you are making WAY to big a deal out of it.

In England it is used as a racist word, another word for niger. I did not say it was used in a racist context but pointing out why the word is so offensive I was hoping people to realize what other people like me feel the words is racially offensive and use raccoon instead of coon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:46 pm 

emuking5 wrote:

To be fair, in the "right" (or rather, wrong) context, coon can be an exceptionally offensive racial slur towards Africans or Australians of aboriginal descent. You can learn more about the many meanings of the word "coon" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon

I will repeat: the context in which a word is used determines whether it is a racial slur or meant to be offensive.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:17 pm 

josh knauer wrote:
emuking5 wrote:

To be fair, in the "right" (or rather, wrong) context, coon can be an exceptionally offensive racial slur towards Africans or Australians of aboriginal descent. You can learn more about the many meanings of the word "coon" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon

I will repeat: the context in which a word is used determines whether it is a racial slur or meant to be offensive.

-josh

You look like you are a white man Josh. How do you know how a black Englishman feels about it?
It is offensive in the respect that I have educated you all to the fact that people do see it so in what ever context and since people still choose to use the word after the explanation then in that context I feel they are using it in a racist manner. Its is bleeped out when it is use on UK TV or radio like the word niger is even if it is said by a black man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:47 pm 

Phantom, I do know that the word is used as a vulgar term for blacks, but I never once thought about it being a problem since I was talking about raccoons. And I honestly don't see a problem with me using it, but I'm willing to stop using the word if it does indeed offend you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:52 pm 

Archer wrote:
Phantom, I do know that the word is used as a vulgar term for blacks, but I never once thought about it being a problem since I was talking about raccoons. And I honestly don't see a problem with me using it, but I'm willing to stop using the word if it does indeed offend you.

Thank you Archer and I hope you noticed that I did point out that you did not use it as a racist slur. I hope people learn from your understanding Archer, if you look at Sandras post she even mentioned she hoped it was raccoons you was talking about. I was sure you would have noticed what confusion this could cause, shame about the rest of the users.
;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:04 pm 

phantomuk wrote:
Archer wrote:

Thank you Archer and I hope you noticed that I did point out that you did not use it as a racist slur. I hope people learn from your understanding Archer, if you look at Sandras post she even mentioned she hoped it was raccoons you was talking about. I was sure you would have noticed what confusion this could cause, shame about the rest of the users.
;)

Not a problem. I did notice that you knew I wasn't being racist. I don't see a problem with my use of it, but I don't know how that word is used over there, so I'm willing to drop it.

I only hope that you would do the same for me with words that we may find offensive. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:25 pm 

Archer wrote:
I only hope that you would do the same for me with words that we may find offensive. :wink:

Nice to see the two of you making nice, but I still stand by my statement... in an internationally and culturally diverse written forum like this, everyone has to realize that it is impossible to not offend someone with almost any word. The intent, which frequently you can judge, is the key to figuring out of if something is a problem or not.

I'm very glad that individuals are working out their issues, but there has been no change in the policies here.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:53 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I will not use it either, although I understand Josh because where can we draw the line? We would be limiting many things. Although Personally I would like to meet the idiots that make all these horrible racist words. I'm sorry but I just can not see why anyone would associate blacks with the word "coon" Or how it would even get started. But then again have the names of race words make no sense to me as to how that particular word was chosen. My mother's sister married a black man and I asked him earlier if he has ever heard the word. He said he was not aware of that particular slur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:10 pm 

phantomuk wrote:
You look like you are a white man Josh. How do you know how a black Englishman feels about it?
It is offensive in the respect that I have educated you all to the fact that people do see it so in what ever context and since people still choose to use the word after the explanation then in that context I feel they are using it in a racist manner. Its is bleeped out when it is use on UK TV or radio like the word niger is even if it is said by a black man.

How did you guess I was of European descent from the pasty-looking photos I've put up? I had no idea it was so obvious. :roll:

{sarcasm}And how dare you use a color to describe a person! Where I am from, that is highly offensive! You must have known and said this on purpose to describe both "black" and "white" men. I am outraged, offended and can't believe that you didn't know that in the US, that is not a correct way of referring to people.{/sarcasm}

Your drama queen behavior is getting to be a bit on the grating side. I thought you had left the boards, never to return? I think this is at least the second time in a month that you've told us all very publicly that because you didn't like something here you were leaving. I know that when my 4 year old throws a tantrum, she usually takes her marbles with her as she leaves.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:57 pm 

josh knauer wrote:
Archer wrote:

Nice to see the two of you making nice, but I still stand by my statement... in an internationally and culturally diverse written forum like this, everyone has to realize that it is impossible to not offend someone with almost any word. The intent, which frequently you can judge, is the key to figuring out of if something is a problem or not.

I'm very glad that individuals are working out their issues, but there has been no change in the policies here.

-josh

I understand that fully, and I agree with it. I can tell cultural differences from obvious vulgar attacks. It is the latter that I ask to be taken care of. And I'm only asking this of the poster, not you or the mods.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:27 am 
New User
New User

Personally I think it all depends upon context, if the word isn't used in an offensive/racist manner, then I don't see a problem, however if of course it is, then that is unacceptable.make money from home work

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:44 am 

Wow! For your FIRST and only post so far, you dig up a FOUR YEAR OLD POST!!!!
Your handle indicates a drug use connotation. Weird. :roll: :-k \:D/