EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:29 pm 
New User
New User

Hey - I am an 18yo girl from the UK who answers to B or Buns :)

I am slowly coming around to the rights and wrongs of animal rights - I have in the past been the victim of violence from animal rights protestors - but I have come to see that in a new light... it is not animal rights prosters alone who are violent.

I am pro hunting in the UK, and do follow hounds, and I have also been and enjoyed rough game shooting (which is NOT when they raise thousands of birds - they have 10 guns and rear 50 odd birds in the natural habitat - most of which who remain free!).

However - I am a part time vegetarian (I fell anaemic and then very ill last year and have been banned from being vegetarian under my mums roof - but as soon as I can be, I will be veggie again :) ) who is applying to study a course in agriculutre for uni.

I don't mind farming - as I don't believe all killing is wrong (in case you hadn't picked that up) - but I have grown to dispise the whole farming process - I want to be able to farm and eat my own animals or their products - and I figured the best way to ensure their welfare was to train as a proffessional farmer. I reckon I may end up staying veggie with a large number of pets though :D

A few years back I trained as a Marine Mammal Rescuer, but I never got to take part in any rescues. Renewing my training is something I intend to do in the future.

I have worked at Wildlife Aid, the sanctuary which stars in Wildlife SOS and at varius veterinary surgeries.

I believe in medical testing on animals, and have also worked in a medical lab as part of my wanting to be a vet, however don't get me started on cosemetic testing...

I am allergic to a whole ton of cosemetics so am always on the lookout for something that I can use for washing or makeup without causing an allergic reaction, and without needing to rely on a set few products which were tested on animals :(

I think thats just about everything... I have a bit of a rebellious streak and at some point I'd like to spend some time activly protesting and helping animals cos I only have this one life, so I may as well do something useful with it.

Yeah, welcome to me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:38 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Welcome. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:25 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Welcome also :roll: :roll: :roll:

Edit: Dang it, I meant :D smileys not :roll: smileys.

So, Welcome also :D :D :D

Last edited by redfurrymonster84 on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:33 pm 
New User
New User

Thanks guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:01 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Hello there Bundle. If you'll pardon the pun, you seem like a bundle of joy.

Good to have you here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:23 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Welcome.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:55 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Hi, Bundle!

I too was a vegetarian and suffered from severe anemia. Apparently I am not able to absorb iron from plant sources (which is less bioavailable than that from meat sources) or from iron suppliments. When you are eating food with good iron content or taking a suppliment, consume something rich in vitamin C as well, it helps increase iron uptake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:33 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Hi Bun Dle. Are you a Jennifer Lopez type Bun Dle on account of the Buns nickname?. Hope you have a Scottish type of humor gene because we can be off the wall sometimes.. Just kidding around. Welcome to the board .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:57 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

welcome bundle! this is a pretty cool place to come to, although it gets a bit vocal at times!! there is a VERY bad lad called donnie.....tee hee

sama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:20 pm 
New User
New User

Hehe!!!

I'll be certain to watch out for this Donnie... ;)

Supertwist - this time last year I ended up with heart problems and they checked my blood cell count then - I was mildly anemic.

Back last Easter I became a veggie which lasted until a traumatic event in the summer (august) when I felt it was selfish to have my mum (the main shopper) concentrate on finding food we should all eat that was vegetarian, or buying extra food for me.

Then I had a blood cell count done in October when I fell ill with glandular fever and it transpired I was now very anemic.

I think I may be prone to anemia anyway, based on that pattern of events. It also seems that sometimes GF can cause anemia as a side effect - so I may be naturally slightly anemic but it got worse due to being ill.

However, either way, I was anemic whilst eating meat so eating meat again won't make me better!!!

Donnie (humm, I'm sure someone said something about a lad named Donnie...) - funny you should mention Jennifer Lopez... I once told someone I looked like her in order to keep him interested...
it was only a little white lie... but it worked!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:28 pm 

Bundle wrote:
Hehe!!!

I'll be certain to watch out for this Donnie... ;)

Supertwist - this time last year I ended up with heart problems and they checked my blood cell count then - I was mildly anemic.

Back last Easter I became a veggie which lasted until a traumatic event in the summer (august) when I felt it was selfish to have my mum (the main shopper) concentrate on finding food we should all eat that was vegetarian, or buying extra food for me.

Then I had a blood cell count done in October when I fell ill with glandular fever and it transpired I was now very anemic.

I think I may be prone to anemia anyway, based on that pattern of events. It also seems that sometimes GF can cause anemia as a side effect - so I may be naturally slightly anemic but it got worse due to being ill.

However, either way, I was anemic whilst eating meat so eating meat again won't make me better!!!

Donnie (humm, I'm sure someone said something about a lad named Donnie...) - funny you should mention Jennifer Lopez... I once told someone I looked like her in order to keep him interested...
it was only a little white lie... but it worked!!!

With the nick name buns ,what did you expect??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:17 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

see!!!! i told you he was BAAAAAAAADDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

donnie - behave!

sama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:49 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

Yes, Bundle, you may be prone to anemia, and may have had anemia while you were eating meat, but since plant sources of iron are less bioavailable, you need to keep a close watch on your iron intake and get tests done often. I'm still anemic, too, but much better than I was on a veggie diet. Just take care of yourself. :)