Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:14 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:
That certainly makes sense to me.

Dang.. when I start making sense it's time for a vacation. :lol:

Heyyyyyy...what are you trying to say about my sense?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:26 pm 

Vazul wrote:
My family had always been light on the red meats, and usually not more than one meal per day consists of some form of meat, which is generally chicken, or pork (which is less frequent).

Coming to college however, the availability of beef threw my diet out of balance, since I had been accustomed to eating some form of animal product for protein (I am a runner, so some protein is necessary for muscle recovery). Consequently, I stopped drinking carbonated beverages (never any alcohol--I'm proud to say I haven't been to a single party), and I've been keen on keeping a well-balanced diet overall.

I guess I came used to this, and in the past month I've been trying to return to my "normal" diet, and finally arriving at vegetarianism.

The biggest issue is the selection here; I don't like salad (or cold anything, really), and the vegetable offerings only get one so far. That said, my diet disproportionately consists of grain products. Still, I eat a total of four or five fruit or vegetable items daily, and a glass or two of milk.

Good on you for not drinking and for cutting out the carbonated drinks. Although if you consumed a lot of caffiene and cut it out all of a sudden that can also be part of the reason you're feeling weak and tired.

Where are you getting your protein from if you aren't eating meat?

I didn't like salad much either.. but I've come to adore it over the last couple of years. I really like them because they're fairly easy to toss together when I'm in a hurry. :)

Have you tried cutting back on the grain products and eating more vegetables? The fiber in the veggies will help fill you up more than the carbs in a lot of grain products will.

Are you taking a multi-vitamin? Are you eating fruits and vegetables high in iron? Low iron levels can cause you to feel weak and tired as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:27 pm 

Archer wrote:

:lol: You didn't use enough y's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:00 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

:lol: You didn't use enough y's!

:lol: My mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:26 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Origam wrote:
Good on you for not drinking and for cutting out the carbonated drinks. Although if you consumed a lot of caffiene and cut it out all of a sudden that can also be part of the reason you're feeling weak and tired.

Oh no, I've cut out caffeine since the end of last summer!

Quote:
Where are you getting your protein from if you aren't eating meat?

I know that you need to obtain complete proteins by coupling certain products (i.e. rice and beans), and I believe milk/dairy products offers complete proteins on its own. I eat eggs for breakfast a few times a week as well. Are there any other "pairs" which provide complete proteins?

Quote:
Have you tried cutting back on the grain products and eating more vegetables? The fiber in the veggies will help fill you up more than the carbs in a lot of grain products will.

I need carbs, since I'm an athlete. I do eat dark greens whenever I can, but many times I find myself filling up on pasta with tomato sauce since the veggies are not prepared very appetizingly (they are usually undercooked, or haphazardly thrown together to form some sort of mix).

Quote:
Are you taking a multi-vitamin? Are you eating fruits and vegetables high in iron? Low iron levels can cause you to feel weak and tired as well.

No multivitamin (I'm guessing I should start?), although I've never really taken them regularly as an omnivore either. For the iron, dark greens are a good source, from what I understand (probably the best?); fortified whole grain bread is also a staple here, so hopefully I'm supplementing any deficiences with that.

Today's lunch was: a burrito with rice and beans, cheese, lettuce and jalapenos, a cheese quesadilla, an apple, two cups water, a few cookies and a cup of chocolate milk.

Dinner will probably be a few servings of vegetables (usually any items offered at the "Traditional Meals" bar, minus the meat), a slice of whole grain bread, a bowl of cereal, a piece of fruit, and water.

As I'm becoming more keen on environmental issues, I hope to have our school develop a more comprehensive vegetarian menu; my only fear is that more food will go to waste (on the flipside, there's the possibility of opening people up to a healthier lifestyle, but one must account for the negative outcomes at all times!). However, I'd like to have us establish an organic farm and compost pile, so perhaps this will be brought to balance--and then some!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:14 pm 

Vazul wrote:
Oh no, I've cut out caffeine since the end of last summer!

I know that you need to obtain complete proteins by coupling certain products (i.e. rice and beans), and I believe milk/dairy products offers complete proteins on its own. I eat eggs for breakfast a few times a week as well. Are there any other "pairs" which provide complete proteins?

I need carbs, since I'm an athlete. I do eat dark greens whenever I can, but many times I find myself filling up on pasta with tomato sauce since the veggies are not prepared very appetizingly (they are usually undercooked, or haphazardly thrown together to form some sort of mix).

No multivitamin (I'm guessing I should start?), although I've never really taken them regularly as an omnivore either. For the iron, dark greens are a good source, from what I understand (probably the best?); fortified whole grain bread is also a staple here, so hopefully I'm supplementing any deficiences with that.

Today's lunch was: a burrito with rice and beans, cheese, lettuce and jalapenos, a cheese quesadilla, an apple, two cups water, a few cookies and a cup of chocolate milk.

Dinner will probably be a few servings of vegetables (usually any items offered at the "Traditional Meals" bar, minus the meat), a slice of whole grain bread, a bowl of cereal, a piece of fruit, and water.

As I'm becoming more keen on environmental issues, I hope to have our school develop a more comprehensive vegetarian menu; my only fear is that more food will go to waste (on the flipside, there's the possibility of opening people up to a healthier lifestyle, but one must account for the negative outcomes at all times!). However, I'd like to have us establish an organic farm and compost pile, so perhaps this will be brought to balance--and then some!

Wish I had the willpower to cut out caffiene. I fear without my coffee I wouldn't function quite as well though. :)

Hrm.. don't know much about "complete" proteins. Sounds like you're doing fairly well on that. Most vegetarians doing Atkins use tofu and other soy products (such as Boca burgers) to get protein instead of consuming meat. Beans and legumes are a good source of protein. Low sugar or sugar free peanut butter (or better yet make your own!) is a good source of protein.

Even if the vegetables are unappetizing and you don't like salads, you should still eat them. It beats filling up on empty carbs and processed foods. Over at Atkins we harp on people to eat things they don't like because it's good for them, most of them start out as veggie haters but soon end up loving them.

I preach about multi-vitamins a lot. It's important to get the minerals and vitamins you may be missing in your diet, especially when you're changing your diet from what your body is used to. I especially preach about iron, it's important to make sure you are getting your daily requirement of iron or your body gets fatigued easier and some pretty un fun things can happen. Dark green vegetables and beans are great for iron. Generic multi-vitamins don't cost a whole lot though.. might be worth looking into if you're feeling fatigued?

Sounds like you drink a lot of water.. which is good. Are you making sure you get enough water though, being a runner you need more than the average person.

You lunch sounds good. Keep in mind that iceburg lettuce offers very very little in the way of nutrition.. it's kind of like drinking a glass of water, good for you but not much to it. Could use some veggies though.. maybe carrot sticks or celery sticks to round it out?

It'd be great if more people adopted healthier lifestyles.. the problem is they like their sugar and fat laden foods too much to give them up. :) Starting a composting program and garden would be a great idea. Nothing beats a fresh tomato! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:15 pm 

Archer wrote:

You know what is annoying? People who say "my bad" all the time. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:28 pm 

Origam wrote:
Archer wrote:

You know what is annoying? People who say "my bad" all the time. :shock:

It annoys me too. I thought about that as I typed it. Glad I'm not the only one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:39 pm 

Archer wrote:
It annoys me too. I thought about that as I typed it. Glad I'm not the only one.

ROFL! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about using it from time to time. :D