Member with over 1000 posts!

What do you think?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060428/ap_ ... nal_anthem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:01 pm 

I think some Native Americans could argue they want their language to prevail . Did you know that the US of A missed being a German speaking country by one vote Grace. Here in Canada, we have two official languages. However I kinda think English is a melting pot language around the world these days. As for the Americas overall ,Spanish is spoken by a large number of people ,who knows what the future will offer..

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:06 pm 

Donnie Mac Leod wrote:
I think some Native Americans could argue they want their language to prevail . Did you know that the US of A missed being a German speaking country by one vote Grace. Here in Canada, we have two official languages. However I kinda think English is a melting pot language around the world these days. As for the Americas overall ,Spanish is spoken by a large number of people ,who knows what the future will offer..

No I didn't know that. My personal belief is the Nat'l Anthem should be sung in English.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:13 pm 

I think it should be English too, along with everything else in this country. Won't be long before the official language is Spanish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:18 pm 

woo-hoo! I'm all set if we end up having to speak spanish.

Donde es la bano? Mas cerveza por favor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:19 pm 

Origam wrote:
woo-hoo! I'm all set if we end up having to speak spanish.

Donde es la bano? Mas cerveza por favor!

Excusez moi but why do you have so many bells & whistles under each of your posts? MSN etc buttons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:20 pm 

Grace wrote:
Excusez moi but why do you have so many bells & whistles under each of your posts? MSN etc buttons.

Cause I'm special and you aren't? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:23 pm 

Origam wrote:
Grace wrote:

Cause I'm special and you aren't? :lol:

You meant to write cause you THINK you're special and need all these buttons to make it look true! (Even tho you couldn't even figure out how to get a spinning globe next to your name in the chat room. ) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:41 pm 

Archer wrote:
I think it should be English too, along with everything else in this country. Won't be long before the official language is Spanish.

I feel the same way about English for Canadians Archer. However we also found that we did have enough French people living here to support bi-lingualism. I don't agree with it but I feel it is better to meld ourselves into one nation under two languages rather then have blood shed to enforce one language. I wouldn't want one French Canadian to die because I felt he should be speaking English. Your problem is a bit different though as your government and your businessmen supported an infiltration of illegal imigrants that are trying to change America without actully being legalized Americans. I see what happened to you folks , but I can not figure out why business folk put their grred above the nation so that the government is now scared to put things back in order. Like I didn't know what drove a business men to hire people under the table. :roll:

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:44 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Whether it is an appropriate national anthem for our country is a different debate, the fact of the matter is our official national anthem was written in English. As such, it should be sung in English.

Becoming a part of this country does not mean giving up one's heritage, it does mean; however, giving up one's loyalties/allegiances to one's native country. The oath of Allegiance for citizenship does state:

Quote:
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and adjure all allegiances and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen.

If you want to be a part of this country, great, but leave your Mexican flags behind, respect our laws (including immigration laws) and take strides to learn the dominant language of this land. Yes this is the land of opportunity, but all opportunities come at a cost.

Finally if I were to move to Russia, I would be expected to learn Russian. If I were to move to France, I would be expected to learn French. If I were to move to Mexico I would be expected to learn Spanish. It is not too much to ask for immigrants to this country to undertake efforts to learn English, which is the de facto language of this country.

I suspect this "Spanish translation" of our national anthem combined with the flying of Mexican flags in the protests will spark a major backlash against the efforts being made to "normalize" illegal aliens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:35 pm 

Grace wrote:
You meant to write cause you THINK you're special and need all these buttons to make it look true! (Even tho you couldn't even figure out how to get a spinning globe next to your name in the chat room. ) :lol:

At least I'm not so blonde I change the language of my chat! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:07 pm 

I don't think the whole issue is singing it in Englsih or Spanish. From what I've read they have also changed the words so the song is no longer in it's orginal form.

To me it's also interesting how this is seen around the world. My daughter just got back from a couple weeks in Australia. She said they were watching some of it on the news and the people they were with there couldn't understand why the US just doesn't let the Mexicans in. They thought we should just accept them all. I had to laugh because I remembered these same people telling me a few years back how bad the Asians were and how they were trying to stop so many of them from moving into the country. Guess it's a different story when it's happening to someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:48 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

The National Anthem is THE National Anthem and it should be in English!!!

I recently received this in an e-mail. Scary stuff. Anybody heard anything or know anything about this? Or this Aztlan stuff?
Don't know what to think of it.

http://wehategringos.com/whg/index.php

Why WeHateGringos.com?

WeHateGringos.com is online to counter the false information dished out by Mexican hate groups and spoon-fed to Americans by the mainstream media.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:55 am 

saltydog wrote:

I recently received this in an e-mail. Scary stuff. Anybody heard anything or know anything about this? Or this Aztlan stuff?

Why WeHateGringos.com?

WeHateGringos.com is online to counter the false information dished out by Mexican hate groups and spoon-fed to Americans by the mainstream media.

I agree, and we can add a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster as an additional way it can be played that is pure American!!!
Don't forget to carry bear pepper spray and buy American tomorrow!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:08 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Johhny Electriglide wrote:
saltydog wrote:

Why WeHateGringos.com?

I agree, and we can add a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster as an additional way it can be played that is pure American!!!
Don't forget to carry bear pepper spray and buy American tomorrow!!!! :D

Yes definitely but American tomorrow.
This situation becomes more complex everyday.
As for our national anthem I say English and English only.