Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:09 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Origam wrote:
I got to spend some of the Homeland Security grant the department got when I was back in San Diego. :shock: I sure felt safer when I made my purchases. :lol:

I wonder how well Homeland Security has prepared the United States for acts of terrorism on our own soil? I can only speak from experience.. but back in San Diego they were prepared for something minor but if something major happened they'd be SOL. The First Responders are great and their training rocked.. but the fact that ALL the law enforcement and government agencies that should be a part of it didn't participate seemed kind of silly.

Short answer...yes..in some places. We train twice a year with local,State and Federal agencies for the response to an attack. We have 2 High-Probabilty targets in our back yard,and serveral more throughout the state.There are also several states that do inter-agency training like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:22 pm 

Mr. Venom wrote:
Short answer...yes..in some places. We train twice a year with local,State and Federal agencies for the response to an attack. We have 2 High-Probabilty targets in our back yard,and serveral more throughout the state.There are also several states that do inter-agency training like this.

They do that in San Diego. There are a lot of targets in CA, San Diego being a great target for many reasons.

Let me ask you this Mr. V, if a major disasters went down in your city.. such as the Oklahoma Bombing do you feel confident that your city could handle it? How about something as massive as 9-11? I have no doubt that San Diego could handle something like the OK Bombing, and I'm sure that they could somehow cope with something like 9-11. I'm thinking large scale as in a well thought out attack that took place in various parts of the city.. I wonder how well any city is prepared if terrorists decided to set off rather large bombs at more than 4 locations? I wonder how well the Government is prepared to handle the situation if major attacks happen in more than 2-3 states? Look how badly they handled Hurricane Katrina.. and they had warning on that one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:47 pm 

Quote:
Most of the acts of violence that are happening now are not traditional "terrorists" but rather it is sectarian violence among many different religious sects, clans, etc. that are fighting for power and control. This is widespread and throughout most of the country.

I'll agree with that, and I think it's been one of the biggest mistakes we've made. These people have been fighting amongst themselves for thousands of years. It was Saddam that kept them in line. Of course that was because he killed anyone that disagreed with him. But then over there that seems to be all they know. The strongest survies the weakest dies.

We took over and tried to run things the way we would run them here. Problem is the people won't react the same there. Here we wouldn't see the Methodists and the Catholics having a running gun battle in the streets. But over there it's another story. We didn't take charge right off the bat. We let things slide, and that was the exact opposite of the way it should have been done. We needed to do the same thing Saddam did, except the killing. We needed to take control, but we were afraid to because so many back here were already saying we were occupying the country. Too strong and it would seem that way. So instead we did the politicially correct thing and backed off and let them do it. Unfortunately they didn't take control because they were too busy fighing between themselves. And it was all down hill from there.

This is turning into another politically correct fight, and we never come out good on one of those. What we did was not wrong, but the way we did it was.

We step out now and Iran and Syria will just sweep in and take over the region. We may not like it, but we'll have to do something. There are people over there that hate our guts, and just staying out of the middle east will not be enough for them. If they cannot fight us there, they will bring the fight to us here on US soil. This is not a war over oil, it is a religious war. We don't believe what their extremists believe, and for that we must die. Maybe only 10% of them feel that way. But that is enough to do some damage here on US soil. 9-11 proved that.