EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About Me
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:46 pm 
New User
New User

My name is Diane Nixon. I live in Silver Spring, Maryland. For the past twenty years I have worked with various animal organizations to pass legislation to protect animals in Maryland. A few of the issues I have worked on that are now law in Maryland are making animal cruelty and dog fighting a felony, allowing the courts to mandate psychological counseling for animal abusers, not allowing dogs to be left in parked cars in hot or cold weather, making it a crime to be a spectator at a dog or cock fight, and not allowing humane societies to sell or give animals to hospitals or laboratories. Most recently I wrote and worked for legislation, which passed in my county, which bans dogs from being chained at night. Last year the same legislation almost passed for the whole state of Maryland. I am now running for for the House of Delegates in District 20. I ran four years ago and came close to winning. There is so much more I can do for animals if I win the election.

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:48 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Welcome to the board!

Post subject: Re: About Me
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:47 pm 

[quote="Diane"]Most recently I wrote and worked for legislation, which passed in my county, which bans dogs from being chained at night. /quote]

I'm curious. If you can't chain your dog up at night, then what do you suggest be done with it?

By the way, welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:05 pm 

Archer wrote:
Diane wrote:
Most recently I wrote and worked for legislation, which passed in my county, which bans dogs from being chained at night.

I'm curious. If you can't chain your dog up at night, then what do you suggest be done with it?

By the way, welcome.

Welcome Diane... please respond to Archer in the Animal Concerns section. We try to keep debates out of the Introductions section.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:07 pm 

Sorry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:17 pm 
New User
New User

Hi,
Wow, you inspire me to do more. I hope you win along with the animals you help. I look forward to reading more of your posts here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:49 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Welcome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:00 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Welcome, make yourself at home .... the coffee pot is in the corner.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject: About Me
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:15 pm 
New User
New User

To answer your questions about dogs that are chained: Dogs are social animals and it is a miserable life for them to spend years at the end of a chain. The coldest hours during the winter are during the night. Also chains can get wrapped around trees giving dogs little room to move. When this bill was introduced it was with the hope that if people were forced to bring their dogs inside at night the dogs would get some chance to socialize. If people can't bring themselves to bring their dog inside they can build an adequate enclosure outside so the dog will have more space to move around without being tied down. In my County this has been the law for four years. While some people may have given away their dogs rather than bring them in at night or build an enclosure most people have obeyed the law.

Thanks for the welcomes.
Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:04 pm 

Welcome Diane and good luck with your campaign..if I were in your
county you would definitely have my vote.

where I live an ordinance was passed last year that dogs can not be
chained for more than 3 hours in a 24 hour period.

the rationale behind the push for it was that dogs develop aggression
and anti-social behaviors when they are forced to live a life in
isolation and neglect that can have a dangerous and negative
impact on the community especially children.

good to have someone else here with a progressive, enlightened
mind-set.

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:51 am 
New User
New User

I'm happy to hear that where you live has such a strong ordinance limiting chaining dogs. Where do you live? I'd like to get a copy of the ordinance.

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:18 am 
New User
New User

I tell you the things I see going on in Texas are terrible as far as animal care standards. I am a USDA licensed animal rescuer and we are one of the worst states for animals, just about anything goes. As long as there is food and water you can just about do anything you want to a creature.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:18 pm 

Diane wrote:
To answer your questions about dogs that are chained: Dogs are social animals and it is a miserable life for them to spend years at the end of a chain. The coldest hours during the winter are during the night. Also chains can get wrapped around trees giving dogs little room to move. When this bill was introduced it was with the hope that if people were forced to bring their dogs inside at night the dogs would get some chance to socialize. If people can't bring themselves to bring their dog inside they can build an adequate enclosure outside so the dog will have more space to move around without being tied down. In my County this has been the law for four years. While some people may have given away their dogs rather than bring them in at night or build an enclosure most people have obeyed the law.

Thanks for the welcomes.
Diane

Bravo to you Diane for all you do. And welcome. Here's a good website (for you too Archer re: what do you do w/your dog if you can't chain them). I'll bring to animal forum too.

http://unchainyourdog.org/