EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:15 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Archer wrote:
X-Black wrote:
Holds more water than god or Jesus. I will stick to evolution you stick to Adam, eve and the lord did it all in seven day poo :lol:

Jesus didn't hold water, He walked on it. :wink:

Prove it. There has to be some other reference to such a miracle other than the Bible ... where is it?

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:17 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Archer wrote:
denni50 wrote:
Quote:
denni50 wrote:
give us a short essay why you believe Creationism should be taught in schools.

Why would I do that?

so I, we can have a better understanding of who you are, how you feel,
what you think and appreciate, accept and respect that even though
our backgrounds, life history and experiences are different and we have opposing viewpoints and opinions we might learn something from each other...wouldn't that be something.

something Josh said made a whole lot sense...I think teaching about
other cultures and their belief systems would be a better alternative
and hopefully shape young minds to be tolerant of different societies and cultures....maybe wars would stop.

You missed my whole point. Why would I write about that when I'm not claiming that should be done? I want evolution out. Here's why: IT'S NOT A FACT.

It is more of a fact than creationism, yet you propose that is acceptable. Evolution is as much of a fact as we have on the process which we have not experienced but have evidence of in many areas of the world.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Archer wrote:
denni50 wrote:
there are new fields of science
molecular and forensic anthropology that scientists are using to trace the DNA of humans back to their origins using the fossil records of other
hominids.

http://www.becominghuman.org/

I hear we share a lot of DNA with bananas too. You think we evolved from bananas? :roll:

No, but we share a common ancestor in the prehistory of life on this planet. Such statements exhibit an ignorance of the theory that creates such logical fallacies.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:24 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Quote:
Jesus didn't hold water, He walked on it.

Prove it. There has to be some other reference to such a miracle other than the Bible ... where is it?

Sorry, but I can't resist.

Ole was turning 18. He knew that when his father, and his grandfather turned 18 they walked across the local lake near his home town in Sweden.

So on Ole's 18th birthday he rowed the boat out in the middle of the lake. He got out and immediately sank to the bottom. When he came up his mother yelled. Ole you idiot, you were born in July not January like your father and grandfather.

Ok back to the discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:24 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Archer wrote:
X-Black wrote:
Archer wrote:
If God could be "proven", then there would be no need for faith. However, I have yet to see anyone disprove him. That says a lot.

Do you believe the first law of thermodynamics? I'm sure you do. Why? Probably because it's never been proven wrong. It can't be proven right 100%, yet you believe.

So, can anyone prove that the Bible is wrong or that God does not exist? If it's all such hogwash and so unbelievable as the truth, surely it isn't hard. Much easier than say...proving that evolution is the truth.

You don't even know what is in this "book" that you worship!! :lol:

Opium of the people :lol:

Here's a thought. Why don't you accept my challenge? Prove that the Bible is wrong and that God does not exist. That would be a refreshing change from your "oneliners". :roll:

If you show us how to prove a negative, that would work. Start by proving there are no little green men on Mars or maybe that there are no unicorns ..... :roll:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:38 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Off to the beach for the weekend... I will see this is still going when I get back ... :lol:

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:52 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Archer wrote:
X-Black wrote:
Archer wrote:
If God could be "proven", then there would be no need for faith. However, I have yet to see anyone disprove him. That says a lot.

Do you believe the first law of thermodynamics? I'm sure you do. Why? Probably because it's never been proven wrong. It can't be proven right 100%, yet you believe.

So, can anyone prove that the Bible is wrong or that God does not exist? If it's all such hogwash and so unbelievable as the truth, surely it isn't hard. Much easier than say...proving that evolution is the truth.

You don't even know what is in this "book" that you worship!! :lol:

Opium of the people :lol:

Here's a thought. Why don't you accept my challenge? Prove that the Bible is wrong and that God does not exist. That would be a refreshing change from your "oneliners". :roll:

If you show us how to prove a negative, that would work. Start by proving there are no little green men on Mars or maybe that there are no unicorns ..... :roll:

Ah, you're so clever. You can't prove a negative. Yes, that means that God does not exist.

You people are wearing me out. You can't see what my point is.

If God is not to be taught in schools, then why can evolution be taught? How about we leave them both out? There! Surely you can comprehend that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:20 am 

X-Black wrote:
Archer wrote:
Well, heaven forbid they teach the truth. Much better that we have some theory that doesn't make sense and is full of flaws.

I agree with you Archer. Science should be taught in school and religion left out. No room for anything but science and fact in school. No point clouding children's minds with religious rubbish.

Right, and let's keep all of those other theories out of school too... gravity, relativity, physics, chemistry... they are all based on theories and in Archer's world must all just be rubbish.

Certainly talking burning bushes, slaughter of women who misbehave and not eating cloven-hooved animals is the only Truth that should be taught in our schools. Archer... you have no idea how much you sound just like the Taliban did in Afghanistan. Grow up and open your eyes to what you're really proposing!

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:57 am 

Archer:
Quote:
Ah, you're so clever. You can't prove a negative. Yes, that means that God does not exist.

You people are wearing me out. You can't see what my point is.

If God is not to be taught in schools, then why can evolution be taught? How about we leave them both out? There! Surely you can comprehend that!

because evolution is about science and not anyone's "God".

Religion/God is a personal belief system of faith and spiritual
meaning."God" means many different things to many different people.

Einstein's equation:

energy = mass x the speed of light squared
has been proven with the atomic bomb.

Newtown's 3 laws of motion have been proven,
it was how we got Neil Armstrong to the moon and back.

Maxwell's equation on Electromagnetism has been proved
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... maxeq.html

no one can take these mathematical equations and change them to
mean something else based on a personal belief.

they are exact/measured/proven for all eternity.

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:26 am 

josh knauer wrote:
Certainly talking burning bushes, slaughter of women who misbehave and not eating cloven-hooved animals is the only Truth that should be taught in our schools. Archer... you have no idea how much you sound just like the Taliban did in Afghanistan. Grow up and open your eyes to what you're really proposing!

:roll:

Read the whole thread. You are WAY off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:27 am 

denni50 wrote:
Archer:because evolution is about science and not anyone's "God".

But it's a theory that is taught as fact. Evolution doesn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:10 pm 

Quote:
But it's a theory that is taught as fact.

yes it is a 'scientific' theory and I don't believe it is taught as fact.

however it is a theory based on "factual" evidence that
scientists have gathered and collected from their field studies.
The reason the "theory of evolution" has withstood the test of
time is because it demonstrates the progression of modern humans
from earlier hominids and their common relationship through fossilized
remains.

evolution is not a theory arguing the "origins" of life it is a theory
about the existence of life and its biological adaptations.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/evolutio.htm

Biological evolution has considerable empirical evidence, and it is testable and verifiable. It fits the definition of a true scientific theory. Under a strict definition, a scientific theory should not be called a "fact" even though it explains all known facts and has survived the test of time (more than a century in the case of evolution). There is always the possibility that a scientific theory will be updated or changed as new evidence is discovered. The sticker placed in biology textbooks in Atlanta is poorly worded. It implies that evolution is just another "common theory," a tentative statement that attempts to explain something without any factual proof. A common theory has a popular meaning, which is roughly equivalent to an "educated guess" or "hunch." The label should say "scientific theory" rather than theory. In addition, the dichotomous comparison of a scientific theory with the word "fact" is incorrect.

ps: Creationism is a "religious" teaching with no "factual" evidence to
support it.

if I could wake up tomorrow morning and push a button and all the AR's would be gone, I would lay awake tonight in anticipation of pushing the button.~~OHIOSTEVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:23 pm 

Maybe it's because I went to a public school in the ghetto during the stone ages.. but I don't recall learning a whole heck of a lot about evolution in school. Neither of my kids has had anything about evolution in their schooling yet either.

Personally if they're going to teach evolution they should be fair and teach a bit of creationism.. the class could be titled "Theory". Of course the parents would have to sign a release form kind of like they do for sex education saying it's ok for their child to take this class. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:18 pm 

Archer I still don't think creationism should be taught in school, even if evolution is. I think it's stupid that kids in school can't color Christmas trees or pictures of Santa Claus, because it might offend someone. I think it's stupid that parents had to be notified that for the winter soltice party please do not bring red or green paper plates, since those are Christmas colors. But if I want my kids to learn about creationism, I'll take them to a Sunday school that will teach it.

Would you want your child's hunter safety class taught by Grace.

Would you want your child's American History class taught by X Black.

Would you want your child's creationism class taught by an atheist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:13 pm 

hunter88 wrote:
Archer I still don't think creationism should be taught in school, even if evolution is.

Okay, this is getting old. I WANT EVOLUTION OUT OF SCHOOLS. I DON'T WANT RELIGION IN. Got it yet?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next