[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Major Code Upgrade

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Major Code Upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:07 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Ok... I've pushed the new code to production, which is a fancy way of saying we've done a major upgrade of the EnviroLink Forum which is VERY different in look/feel to the old one. Many features that you used to have are either better or have been removed. Hopefully many of the problems people have had in the past are going to be fixed.

I will be changing some of the window dressing of the site (ie: adding EnviroLink's logo to the upper left, etc.) and perhaps making some adjustments to features.

Here's what I need from you, the user: please let me know if you are seeing problems or things that you don't think you should be seeing. It would be great to hear about features you like, too.

In short, everything should be MUCH, MUCH faster than it was. Hopefully there's not too much that is broken. ;-)

-josh

Post subject: Re: Major Code Upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:08 am 

Ok, I will start:

The Search Tool is not returning any results.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:48 pm 

The search tool is now working... I'm really surprised to not be hearing more reaction from people.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:02 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

From my perspective, it is similar to another board so after the initial shock it really was more familier than a 'cold' change. The moderator controls were not as familiar but it did not take that long to figure them out. What about the spell check, will it return or is it too far down the list to tell now?

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:05 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

There are a few comments in the "test" thread in the open forum. Also I just hit a bump that required me to re-log when I went to post this after the last post. It may be on my end but wanted to bring it up in case anyone else encounters it.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:42 pm 

I believe the post counter machine is suffering from the transfer/upgrade. My post count is somewhere around 700,800 I believe. There's 1 too many digits there. Also, when will you install the extra 20 or so new emoticons you promised? Oh, wait, that was Wayne.

Thanks Josh!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:47 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:00 pm 

Aww crap. Can we get the old forum back...as in vintage '96? [-o<

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:07 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:27 am 

Actually, for once I agree with Fosgate. This format is very light with minimal definition. Posts in a thread seems to run into each other and look confusing and busy. I don't like this format at all. It's not just a matter of getting used to. I also don't like the feature where you're reading a thread (not logged in yet) and then decide to post, you need to exit the thread and log in, then find your way back to where you were. In the old format you had the option of logging in after hitting reply or quote to a post. That feautre is gone. This sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:09 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:17 am 

If it's any consolation, this is the default design that comes with the software. I will be looking into different design/layout options and experimenting with them. I agree with a lot of what has been said, so know that we'll find a way to get it looking pretty (or at least usable) again.

-josh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:42 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:02 am 

Me too. I'm sure he has better things to do with his time too.

(also I erred in one of my complaints - you CAN post to someone while in a post w/o exiting and loggin in).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:25 am 

What a bunch of whiny babies. :P

Actually.. I kind of like the format, reminds me somewhat of other boards I use. My only beef is when I go into a forum the who the post is by runs into that little paper looking icon thing and it's hard to read.