[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Poems I have written . Do you have any /

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:53 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

When I sit quietly at night
Watching the sun sink out of sight.
And all the creatures of the day
Are slumbering soundly - far away,
Then I begin remembering
Long ago, when birds did sing
A sweeter song than they do now,
And cherry blossoms filled the boughs
Of the tree outside my window-pane
Of the room where my lost Love had lain.
A lone thrush sang sweetly among the flow'rs
Bringing us peace in those long last hours.

Past are pleasures, now is pain.
I will never see my Love again!
Love, why did you have to leave
The thrush and me - alone to grieve?

Now the thrush no longer sings - for he
Flies with your Spirit
Where I cannot be.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:55 pm 

Another of mine....

Is it true, that as we are getting older,
Days seem shorter - and Summers colder?
Or does impatient Age make daylight fly,
And dimmer eyes see a paler sky?

Do aged ears make softer the sounds
Of the clamour and chaos all around?
Do tired old limbs much slower go
So we pause - and notice a sunset's glow?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:02 pm 

You are very talented. Bravo. =D> =D>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:22 pm 
New User
New User

i drove past your sister on the way to work, she's got the same look as you, just sadder.
i passed her in the bar late last night and she looked more empty than her glass.
i heard she bottomed out once and no one ever found her.
she was wasted, so was i.

i could taste all the fillings in her mouth
like copper, it was only good luck.
it was only once.

they say, "you'll only come upon it once."

i saw your dad in the yard one day and he didn't wave back,
the way he looked, i was sure there was nothing left.
sure enough, the next time you weren't.

now, every time, it feels like revenge.
now, every time, it feels like ---.

-----------------------------------------
i remember laughing alone in a clean horse stable,
the smell still-

thick hair and new shavings on the ground,
the impatient stomping of heavy feet and fervor,
spilt oats. plunging into cold, clear well water and gasping in
great amounts.

the hard blocks of salt licks that sat for months.

i found old chicken eggs in the corner of the stables.
i held the empty shells of sparrows' that'd leaked out yellow long before.
i wrote my name out in the dirt with others' last names and wondered why
it made me feel different... "a rose by any other name..."
-------------------------------------------------

everything/everyone says
suffocated through a tunnel.
tell my mom and dad i am coming through that tunnel
with godspeed, and light.
(i'll find all of our old dogs in the meantime, every last one of them in their prime, i'll be crying my eyes out
and on the floor in front of the door with them waiting for you to come home.)

every dream i have
every time you leave
what do we become?
i can't stop thinking about what you said about
a moth that found the moon and flew in circles around it
until the flip was switched and he was back where he started, only more tired .

i'm colder than before.
it's just like the thin, blue flesh on our bones.
i know where you keep your pills and i've counted them in my palm.
i felt crucified only for the worst reasons.
i'd be going out bloody if i had any left to spill.

(a lame dog, a horse about to be put down
best friends until her heavy body hits the ground.
she talks about her favorites but not about who i am sleeping with.
she'll talk about the addicts but not the reasons why.)
habits aren't genetic, we adopt them like a child.
i'd give anything to see her right now, at the stove, in the garden,
smoking the nastiest cigarettes i've ever smelled...)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:25 pm 
New User
New User

my mother and i are on the phone and both of her hads are busy, callused; one holding me on the wire and the other passing cigarettes from stove to mouth, the burner ticks and pauses slightly before bursting into flames. everytime she lights a cigarette i am reminded of a baby's first gasps; desperate, sticky-mouthed.

i know the exact reclining position my father is in on his chair in the living room. the tv is on and he will be picking at something: a piece of skin, a catch in the fabric on the cushion, biting his nails. our habits reflect on one another. i steal a blowtorch from school and melt old cassette tapes; the talking heads, an old mix tape from ---. my parents ask for me to come home every night but won't buy me a ticket. six months will pass between our visits. the dogs won't recognize me at first but on the second night, jasper will come into the attic to sleep with me; pushing at the door until i let him in.

i had a dream last night about the field behind our house, boasting coyotes with howls that turned from sound to blood. all night they kept me up, my father's hounds barking in response, our horses whinnying with a persistance i hadn't heard since the summer of the tornadoes. the next day i found a carcass of a deer the coyotes had taken down by the neck; two teeth were still embedded in her thigh. there weren't any flies or maggots yet. it was cool outside from the week of rain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:26 pm 

This is one for Animallover ....

DUCKS...

I love ducks.
Brainy ducks and whacky ducks,
Perky, quirky, quacky ducks,
Sensible and batty ducks,
Feather-torn and tacky ducks.
I love ducks.

I love ducks.
Dull ducks, bright ducks,
Ready for a fight ducks,
Fat ducks, thin ducks,
Peck you on the shin ducks.
I love ducks.

I love ducks.
White ducks, red ducks,
Daffy-in-the-head ducks,
Ruddy ducks, muddy ducks,
Trendy friendly buddy ducks.
I LOVE ducks...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:29 pm 

Thank you, you are a sweetie! It's very cute!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:31 am 

Eh.. my writing isn't so much poetry as it is prose... and it tends to be sad/dark or so I'm told.

Untitled - JnE
A shining beacon in the blackness, to help find the way. A warm and welcoming light to cut through the darkness. Midnight consumed the world, and we were all that were left.. waiting and wondering. The bright rays were promising, and we reached out for them.. only to watch them fade to grey and then to nothingness. I looked for you, but you were gone.. lost to the blackness. You let go when I was holding on...sorrow filled your spot, keeping me company. A world away, I shut my eyes.. closing everything out. Memories of you flood my mind, warming my soul. Forever and always..

Words for Angela - JnE
Often times where others see beauty, we ourselves can not see it.. no matter how hard we try to.

Laying in the grass, looking at the stars.. imagining the world was different that it is.

Pain is a beautiful thing.. when shared between two people who understand it. It helps us feel in this lifetime that makes us numb.

You danced into my life.. in need of someone to help you heal. I held you when you needed it.. and offered you my all to help your wounds close. You showed me things I had closed my eyes too.. the beauty that is hidden in everyone and how to find it.

Like a whirlwind you tore through everything I had locked up.. and threw it out into the world. Let people enjoy your art.. let them rejoice in your words.. you said. I let myself open up, blossoming under your touch.. like sunshine on the dew kissed petals of a daisy.

You grasped at everything that I could teach you. You loved to paint, loved to write.. loved to express the world around you in words and color.

I wish I had known your world went dark and grey.. There's nothing left to say.. goodbye.

Ode to Puffy Dog - Me

Beautiful girl of emerald, topaz, and onyx.
You shined brighter than any jewel.
Bringing happiness where there was sadness..
and smiles where there were none.
Like a ray of sunshine you brightened the world,
and like an extingushed flame left it dark.
The memories are vivid, like brand new pictures dancing across my mind.
You'll always be with me.. no matter how far away you are.
I know you're smiling down on me..
with that twinkle in your eye.
Waiting patiently for me...
and the time when we can be together again.
I hated saying goodbye..
not having you around is like having winter in my soul when there should be summer.
I'll miss you always,
but hold on to the promise that we'll have forever someday

Untitled - JnE

Somethings are better left unspoken.. the silence can speak volumes. It's hard to find the right words sometimes.. and I stumble and fall quiet.

There are days when I just want to lay my head on your shoulder and feel your warmth. Times when I just want to watch you sleeping... afraid this is just a dream and I'll wake to find you gone.

When you stroke my cheek and look in my eyes, it stirs something deep down inside.... awakens feelings that I thought had died long ago. With you I feel safe, the world could crumble but we'd still be standing.

This feels so right.. like stars in the sky on a moonlit night... and I wonder, where do we go from here? In this crazy mixed up world, you're all that I need... all that I want. I'd wrap the sun in a bow and give it to you. I can't promise forever.. the future isn't mine to see. I'm holding on to now, and hoping for tomorrow.

Without you the world seems dark, you're the lighthouse shining my way through the blackness. A shining beacon on the horizon..

When I'm alone.. you're in my thoughts. I love how it feels..like the world is alright.. as long as I have you.

I want to run my fingers through your hair.. softly down your back.. I want to feel your lips against mine. I want to breathe you in.. and hold you forever. Let time slip away while we're lost in each other.

This feels so right.. like stars in the sky on a moonlit night... and I wonder, where do we go from here? In this crazy mixed up world, you're all that I need... all that I want. I'd wrap the sun in a bow and give it to you. I can't promise forever.. the future isn't mine to see. I'm holding on to now, and hoping for tomorrow.

Leap of faith - JnE

You came into my life, a small flickering flame on the horizon.. barely noticeable. You became a raging inferno, a force to be reckoned with. You melted the ice from my heart, after many years in a deep freeze.

Not content to be a bit player in my life, you stormed the stage demanding a leading role. Dared me to take a chance.. promised the waters weren't too deep. Leap of faith.. you promised it wasn't a long ways down.

Tempted to run, you let me go. You didn't hold on.. just let me know you'd be there when I came back. Confident that I wouldn't run far... and would come back. You promised a new start.. and wouldn' thold my past against me.

Not content to be a bit player in my life, you stormed the stage demanding a leading role. Dared me to take a chance.. promised the waters weren't too deep. Leap of faith.. you promised it wasn't a long ways down.

I love how you see in a different light.. you see radiance where I see dull. In your eyes I shine. You washed away a lifetime of dust, and polished what was once tarnished. I'm grateful for you.. the way you make me feel. In your world I'm one of a kind. I can only hope, that the words I say, make you feel the same way.

You're a lead role in the story of my life.. the reason I took a chance. The waters weren't too deep, they were soothing instead. I leapt, and you held my hand.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:50 am 

I am poetically challenged.

But you guys are great!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:30 am 

I'm suitably humbled by this display of talent. I can write stories, but poems aren't my thing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:11 pm 

Jack Jack O'Lantern
I wonder if you know
when you are lighted
your crooked teeth will show
Jack Jack O'Lantern
You are a crippled sight
Outside my window
This cold October night.

Sung to the tune of Jack Jack O'Lantern.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:25 pm 

I have one.

Roses are Red,
Violets are Blue,
Grace wants me,
And she knows it, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:09 pm 

And you say you don't have a favorite! Hmph.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:16 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:46 pm