E/The Environmental Magazine was conceived during the "Greenhouse Summer" of 1988, amid reports of medical waste on New Jersey shores, fires in Yellowstone National Park, and increased public interest in environmental problems.
E's founders sought to create an independent newsstand-quality publication on environmental issues--a magazine that could educate, inspire and empower Americans to make a difference for the environment. E launched, after a year of planning and research, in December 1989 (January/February 1990 issue), on the eve of the 20th anniversary of Earth Day, just as people were dubbing the l990s "the environmental decade."
A substantial magazine, E is chock full of everything the budding environmentalist needs to know, from "rainforests to recycling" and from the "personal to the political." Each edition contains thorough reporting on:
- key environmental issues and trends
- environmental news
- industry and consumer product updates
- food and environmental health issues
- lifestyle tips
- commentary from leading thinkers and doers
- reviews of new books and films
- announcements of campaigns, events and conferences