Displaying 1 - 20 of 26 resources in Hazardous and Toxic Waste and Articles:
1. Biodiversity and Your Water Supply
We depend on the Earth's biodiversity for clean, available freshwater. Throughout time, the planet's healthy ecosystems and diversity of life have ensured the flow of ...
2. Despite What You May Suspect, The Danger From Radon Is Real
The federal EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) announced in mid September 1988 that 1/3 of all U.S. homes may contain dangerous levels of radon, a ...
3. Dioxin and Precaution
Two years ago, in 1997, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) formally concluded that dioxin causes cancer in humans. IARC is a division ...
4. Do Garbage Incinerators Produce Air Pollution Harmful To Humans (Part 2)
Does burning municipal garbage produce air pollution that might harm humans? We know that "mass burn" or "trash to steam" plants produce dioxin. Part of ...
5. Do Garbage Incinerators Produce Air Pollution Harmful To Humans (Part 3)
People concerned about landfills and about 'mass burn' incinerators need to pay close attention to the toxic metal, lead. Many new studies show it is ...
6. Dumping Computers Doesn't Compute!
Just bought a new computer? Now wondering what to do with the old one? Do not throw it out. Recycle your old electronic equipment, or ...
7. Hazardous Materials Policy
Leading scientific societies say that the future promises irreversible environmental degradation and continued poverty for much of the world unless we control human population and ...
8. Hazardous Waste Incinerators
Across the country, citizen groups are fighting the introduction of hazardous waste incinerators into their neighborhoods. Are there good reasons to oppose such an incinerator ...
9. Leachate From Municipal Dumps Has Same Toxicity As Leachate From Hazardous Waste Dumps
In a new study, researchers at Texas A ...
10. New Study Shows Incinerator Ash More Dangerous Than We Realized
A new study by a team of engineers at Rutgers, the state university of New Jersey, shows that municipal incinerator ash is more dangerous than ...
11. Pesticides Pose Greater Threat To U.S. Drinking Water Supplies Than Factories And Toxic Dumps
Environmental experts say the contamination of underground water supplies by runoff from farm chemicals is now happening across broad areas of the nation's breadbasket and ...
12. Scientists Study How 'Mass Burn' Incinerators Produce Dioxin (Part 4)
When municipal garbage goes into a "mass burn" incinerator, one of the products that goes out the smokestack (or is trapped by a filter and ...
13. Solvents: All-Purpose Poisons
In all industrialized societies, both men and women are often exposed to organic solvents at work and in the home. Gasoline contains a mixture of ...
14. Southern States Have More Than Their Fair Share Of Toxic Waste
Which states have the worst hazardous waste problems? In general, a state's problem has three components: amount of hazardous waste produced, number of people who ...
15. The Catch-22s Of Landfill Design
The waste hauling industry knows that all landfills will eventually leak because their own industry trade journals are now telling the story. WASTE AGE is ...
16. The town that haunts Al Gore
East Liverpool, OH, USA
How an incinerator in East Liverpool, Ohio, pollutes the vice president's reputation as a friend of the earth. ...
17. Three New Reports Describe Our Destruction Of The Ocean's Fish
Eating fish is good for you, if the fish you eat are not polluted. Fish are high in protein, and fish oil helps prevent heart ...
18. Waste Reduction Or Reduction In Our Use Of Toxics
Everyone now knows that everything must go somewhere (including all the raw materials we mine from the ground and send to our factories) . We ...
19. What We Must Do -- 4: A License To Pollute
Our series, What We Must Do, is describing the root causes of the toxics problem in America. The waste haulers serve as frontline soldiers, disposing ...
20. What We Must Do -- Part 10 No Dumping Allowed
For the most part, our readers are not legislative lobbyists or armchair environmentalists; they are grass roots activists struggling in the trenches to protect their ...
Displaying 1 - 20 of 26
| Next Page