[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - Planting trees

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Planting trees
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:02 am 
New User
New User

My name is Chloe Miller, I am the project coordinator of Nobleland.
I would like to raise awareness about what Noblelamd is about.
Nobleland is an environmental non-profit tree-planting organization with the mission to fight climate change by spreading global awareness about the huge ecological value of trees and connecting people to Mother Nature. By planting trees we aim to restore those lost and damaged for the environmental conservation and the well-being of future generations. We have assumed to preserve nature's diversity and maintain our Planet's health through our global environmental movement.

For visiting our page and subscription go to the link https://noble.land/

Post subject: Re: Planting trees
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:30 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

What's the scope of your organization (what countries or ecosystems are your efforts aimed at)? I have a passion to help small mammal wildlife. The greatest need seems to be wildlife corridors. Planting a mix of native trees and of native short ground cover plants is the best first step to getting wildlife to move through those corridors. Ground water levels are improved with small dams... The size of beaver dams. The best way to get beavers to build their dams where humans prefer is to plant the tree species that beavers prefer to eat. I hope to grow lots of trees to turn unproductive land in my area into wildlife shelters to improve the soil and while the soil slowly improves, raise animals that will be key species to start repopulating rewilded areas... Those species are generally small mammal prey species.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:58 am 

There are drones that can plant hundreds of thousands of trees and other vegetation in a month. We need the 3.3 trillion trees humans have destroyed, to reduce CO2. It is not enough, and also requires a hundred thousand large carbonate factories, and ocean fertilization and cooling. First, the human population must reduce to 80 million with an aerosol event causing a 12 year global winter, before the East Siberian Arctic Shelf methane clathrates reach their blow point in as little as two years.
We like to think we have time, when it was pissed away since Earth Day One. Pissed away since the 1958 Bell Telephone Science Hour segment "The Unchained Goddess".

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 pm 

One problem with using trees (or other plants) to sequester carbon is if the wood/straw/leaves burns or rots, the majority of the sequestered carbon ends up back in the air as both CO2 and methane. Making stuff out of the plant material, making charcoal in an oxygen-free hot environment, or putting the plant material in water (the source of peet) can keep the carbon in solid form but that generally requires industrial agriculture that isn't wildlife-friendly. Turning deserts into forests with the help of flooding to raise the water table (namely beavers) might make a difference but in the short term, forests absorb more sunlight compared to the reflected heat of light colored sand so may be doing short term heating before doing the long term carbon sequestration.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:43 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

We moved from the city with our "huge" 0.5 acre corner lot and bought 6.5 acres with only 0.5 acres cleared where the house sits in the country. My dog loves it, I am working harder than when I went to work every day and between cutting dead fall trees and thinning the undergrowth to a more healthy level I have cut about three dozen small trees .... and planted about a dozen of my own.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:31 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:07 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I bought a small 900 square foot cottage on 1/2 acre in 1990. When I bought it, there were zero trees and a huge lawn.

I planted a dozen live oak trees, a couple of sea grape trees, one neem tree, 3 royal poinciana trees, and a dozen sabal palms.

I've re-wilded the back 1/4 acre and enjoy providing a home for a bit of wildlife. I have black racer snakes, field mice, anoles, geckos, and squirrels. The plants feed pollinators and birds and squirrels nest in the trees.

Being one who believes lawns are anti-environmental I only mow along the road, about 6 feet around my house, under the clothes line and a path to get to the back. I planted ferns under the trees, and where there are no trees, native plants like porter weed, carolina jasmine, coral honeysuckle, shepherds needle, and so on.

I water new plants until they are established and then they are on their own. Nature provides.

No fertilizer, no herbicides, no irrigation, and loving neglect. I do compost veggie matter and that's the only addition the plants get.

If we all do a little, the sum total is a lot.

IMO, The first thing we all need to do is get rid of lawns.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:00 am 

Yes, alternatives to grass is a topic I am interested in to grow between trees on a tree farming operation so cultivation and mowing are not needed. I have a rather short native drought-tolerant and shade-tolerant grass species I hope to breed intentionally and there are a number of short native plants that can handle a bit of foot traffic I can add to the mix.