EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:47 am 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm
Posts: 113
So I suppose making the world hotter and hotter is going to solve the people dying from the heat problem.

I say we should be doing EVERYTHING we can to stop making the world hotter. Won't that save more lives in the long run?

I can't actually believe someone on an environmental forum arguing FOR a technology that is increasing global warming.

But these truths are self-evident.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:24 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21423
Location: Southeastern US
Bob-a-rama wrote:
So I suppose making the world hotter and hotter is going to solve the people dying from the heat problem.

I say we should be doing EVERYTHING we can to stop making the world hotter. Won't that save more lives in the long run?

I can't actually believe someone on an environmental forum arguing FOR a technology that is increasing global warming.

But these truths are self-evident.


Sure, lets remove the causes of human induced Global warming ... fossil fuels and everything that generates heat ... all electrical and mechanical devices .... all combustion sources ... composting .... and only live in natural shelter in temperate climates .... because someone has the idea that each of these is a problem.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:24 am 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm
Posts: 113
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Bob-a-rama wrote:
So I suppose making the world hotter and hotter is going to solve the people dying from the heat problem.

I say we should be doing EVERYTHING we can to stop making the world hotter. Won't that save more lives in the long run?

I can't actually believe someone on an environmental forum arguing FOR a technology that is increasing global warming.

But these truths are self-evident.


Sure, lets remove the causes of human induced Global warming ... fossil fuels and everything that generates heat ... all electrical and mechanical devices .... all combustion sources ... composting .... and only live in natural shelter in temperate climates .... because someone has the idea that each of these is a problem.


How about only removing the unnecessary ones????????

It's not all or nothing.

But when global warming starts affecting the food supply, perhaps things like Air Conditioning, Muscle Trucks (to carry nothing more than the groceries), lawns, and others aren't so important.

Again, here we have someone on an Eco forum, arguing in defense of global warming devices. Pretty ironic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:13 pm 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 21423
Location: Southeastern US
Bob-a-rama wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Bob-a-rama wrote:
So I suppose making the world hotter and hotter is going to solve the people dying from the heat problem.

I say we should be doing EVERYTHING we can to stop making the world hotter. Won't that save more lives in the long run?

I can't actually believe someone on an environmental forum arguing FOR a technology that is increasing global warming.

But these truths are self-evident.


Sure, lets remove the causes of human induced Global warming ... fossil fuels and everything that generates heat ... all electrical and mechanical devices .... all combustion sources ... composting .... and only live in natural shelter in temperate climates .... because someone has the idea that each of these is a problem.


How about only removing the unnecessary ones????????


Who determines what is and is not necessary? What criteria is used?

Quote:
It's not all or nothing.


It depend on your point of view.

Quote:
But when global warming starts affecting the food supply, perhaps things like Air Conditioning, Muscle Trucks (to carry nothing more than the groceries), lawns, and others aren't so important.


Perhaps, but then again "It's not all or nothing" except when it is presented as such.

Quote:
Again, here we have someone on an Eco forum, arguing in defense of global warming devices. Pretty ironic.


But if they are "necessary" in your mind, you argue in their defense ... even more ironic isn't it.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:14 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2727
Location: Central Colorado
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jdIm7grCY&t=3s The underground temperature in Phoenix is 70*F . Why not build wisely and use underground temperature?

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:42 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm
Posts: 113
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jdIm7grCY&t=3s The underground temperature in Phoenix is 70*F . Why not build wisely and use underground temperature?

Exactly.

We can't do that in Florida though, we don't even have cellars. Water table.

There are so many passive ways to cool your home without AC.

In FL they used to build the houses a couple of feet off the ground and put a scuttle (vent) in the attic. The heat rose and the cool air from under the house and trees replaced it.

Plus, all the roofs were bright white.

Big windows were added to let the breeze through.

Now they build houses with hurricane windows (layered like auto windshields) that don't open, have dark gray or brown roofs, and spend zillions of kilowatt cooling the air they just heated in their house. Then the put pavers, lawn, and no trees around the house. Seems foolish to me.

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:03 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9714
But being in a regular alley for hurricanes, having trees about would be just asking for the deadliest form of flying debris, surely? :-k


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:40 am 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm
Posts: 113
Iowanic wrote:
But being in a regular alley for hurricanes, having trees about would be just asking for the deadliest form of flying debris, surely? :-k

I've lived in Florida since 1957 and have always had trees around my houses.

In the Pre-AC days it was common practice because people wanted to be cool.

The trick is to have a canopy of trees, not a lone specimen. There is definitely strength in numbers. A lone specimen is an easy target for the wind, but a number of trees tend to hold each other up.

I've also always had drop down aluminum awnings in my homes. They shade the windows to keep things cool, they allow you to keep the windows open during rainstorms, and when the hurricanes come, they drop down for protection.

In all these years, and in all these hurricanes, I've experienced one tree branch hitting an awning. It was fairly large, would have broken a window, but barely scratched the awning.

The main problem with hurricanes is water damage.

They have built so many homes on reclaimed swamp land that tends to want to revert to a swamp when we have big rainstorms. Unfortunately, too many northerners buy those homes, and are not informed about that. Besides for the direct water damage, when the tree roots are underwater, they blow over easily.

I've always lived in homes on the Eastern Sand Ridge. I'm 32' above sea level, I call it the Florida Alps. The house I grew up in was 26' above sea level.

Besides, running the AC contributes to global warming, and a warmer earth makes the hurricanes more severe. So again, it's a feedback loop.

Crops are already starting to fail, and water is getting scarce in places. It's happening faster than predicted. So what would you rather have, AC or food?

Of course that's an exaggeration, but I feel it's up to us to do everything we can. Thousands of us doing what we can will make a giant improvement.

I also drive like I'm in the historical Mobil Economy run, and get 100 extra miles per tankful in my car, do not keep a lawn but instead planted xeriscepe mostly native plants, shop responsibly to limit my trash (especially plastics), hang clothes on the line instead of putting them in the dryer, painted my roof bright white, planted over 2 dozen trees on my half acre, etc, etc.

BTW, it's been a huge heat-wave and the temp in my house has never gone above 84 degrees in the hottest part of the day. Most of the time it's 80 or under - without AC.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group