[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - environmentally sustainable buildings

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm 
New User
New User

I am currently doing an EPQ on architecture which is basically a project worth half an a level that goes along side the rest of my subjects where you conduct independent research into an area that interests you. The question I have chosen is "Does a high focus on environmental sustainability restrict the progression of architecture?" because I hope to study architecture at university.
This is the main title for my projects however I would also appreciate any comments/ opinions anyone has on:
Is sustainability of a buildings or its aesthetics more important?
what are your opinions on carbon neutral buildings and do you think its a reliable long term solution to buildings being bad for the environment?
do you have any examples of eco-friendly buildings that look unattractive or attractive?
Does a high focus on how eco friendly a building is push architecture into the future by making architects think in different ways ?
Can beautiful architecture and sustainability always have to "compete" or can they work together?
Any opinions you have on any of these subjects would be very useful in my research into my EPQ project. I will full reference anyone's comment that is used in my project and appreciate any thoughts you have weather you have a career in architecture or sustainability or not. THANKYOU!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

I wrote to Gore in 1995 that all new buildings should be Earthship/straw bale independent solar/wind. I started my own in 1997, saving the most by doing it myself with my wife and young son as helpers. That which I didn't know I got books on. I bought components and gathered materials and scraps for two years, shopping around for sales. After two years the energy of manufacture was paid off and four more years all materials loans including land were paid off. There are a lot of profiteers to cost you too much and installers to do work you could easily do yourself. Including design and plans. People still tend to want everything done for them, which adds tremendously to cost.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 am 
New User
New User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:35 am 
New User
New User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:14 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I bought a house built in 1950, before Air Conditioning. It's been added, but we never use it. We open windows and let the sea breeze drift through. (South Florida).

It's flat roofed so we installed polyurethane foam painted white to reflect the heat out of the atmosphere.

It's only 900 square feet which is perfect for 2 adults.

Most people buy/build more house than they need, put a dark roof on, and then run the AC. I read that more energy is used by Air Conditioners in the US than all the US Industrial uses.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:12 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:34 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Your source does not include industrial uses.

That was the comparison and it was an article which sadly, I didn't keep, but it was most likely in Scientific American or an other reputable magazine that I subscribe to (on-line to save energy).

According to the US Government (not known to be a reputable source) https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/home ... nditioning

Three-quarters of all homes in the United States have air conditioners. Air conditioners use about 6% of all the electricity produced in the United States, at an annual cost of about $29 billion to homeowners. As a result, roughly 117 million metric tons of carbon dioxide are released into the air each year. To learn more about air conditions, explore our Energy Saver 101 infographic on home cooling.

My bold enhancement above - that's a lot of global warming gas.

And looking at your chart, it is the biggest energy hog in the house, for something that well over 99% of the humans that ever lived on earth never used. It's nothing but an energy waster so you don't have to be slightly uncomfortable. That to me says if you run the AC, you have no right to criticize anyone else who wastes energy.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:20 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:40 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Ah, how we rationalize our wasteful use of the AC while we condemn others for using energy for things we don't like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:13 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:11 am 
New User